Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 5 hours.

Proactive vs Reactive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Proactive vs Reactive

Most of the people here at AR are very Reactive, meaning you react to situations when people attack, you may not always have purples, gyvals ect. The more experienced people here at AR are often Proactive, meaning you always have purple potions, Gyvals, alot of gold, fly scrolls ect.

My goal is to build a guide that will help new players with the learning curve. So to all you experenced AR veterans, now is a good time to share those secrets. I have had two friends this week that I introducted to AR quit simply because the learning curve is to big. (both of them have level 50 toons.)

General tips for each class, for example I noticed when fighting a Necro, try to not get stuck in a place that only has one way out, that has a lock with only one key, that can not be picked or passed through with Pass Door.

Also common general tips like the door north of Vinnie, there is no key to unlock it, only experienced people knew that you did not need a key, just unlock north and *click* it is unlocked.

I will be adding stuff each time I log on so please folks lets get this train moving!

c resurrection 'Abandoned Realms'

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject:

These aren't revelations and they won't get me into mensa but might help your friends or someone like your friends. a lot of these are very basic, though. :shrug:

Tips/Tricks:

Always overestimate your opponent.

I find it useful to use triggers and colors to color items in my inventory. If I have 25 items in my inventory, I can quickly hit I and within a fraction of a second know if I have the items I need. I colored purples purple, flights yellow, gyvels red, etc. etc. This way I can not only quickly gauge what I need/am missing, and how much of what I have.

It is pretty obvious but aliasing basic things can make a huge difference. In, Out, and Lin are the three macros I've set up for interacting with my sacks. In gyvel will replace put gyvel sack. Lin will replace look in sack, etc. DD will fill by barrel and grab a drink from the fountain. Little things like this can mean surviving a chase and being caught.

Have an escape plan. If you're just going to run outside of the east gate and recall, if you're planning to hold major;recall or if you just have a purple pill ready and waiting, be ready with them, and have them aliased if need be.

Timers. Timers are great. Timing your purple potions, timing your justice kite shield, timing your dreamstruck, having triggers that act as timers and alert you when "time" is about to expire can put you way ahead of the rest. However it can also spam you, so I'd suggest using them sparingly.

Create a path for yourself. If your spot is the eastern road, come up with a route that takes the minimum amount of time and moves to get as many items as possible. Start with shudde and move your way down to the canyon collecting purples, clears, etc. on the way. Try and get everything in one swoop, so they'll all respawn 'together' and be available for another quick trip.

If you're fighting a mage don't drop sleeping bags, tents, boxes, food, fountain and think they won't locate object and find you.

Use your intuition. If you see a thief around for a while, then you are in Seringale and all of a sudden said thief is hidden, there's a good chance he might be after you. Or if a mage is fighting you, at high health, and just runs off - maybe you should prepare for his ward to fall. Or if you're draining his movements and he starts heading towards Seringale, he might be going for purple potions. Try and read your opponent, if they're chasing you and all of a sudden they recall, this might be your best opportunity to catch them off guard, defending their cabal, resting, sleeping in a coffin, getting new dupes, etc.

If you don't have every room in the game down to a science, use brief when exploring, or walking around by yourself, but flip off brief and use automap when engaging in pvp.

Prepare for specific battles. If you know there is a badass dwarf around, you might want to grab and hold onto paelloran's or a water cube for safe keeping, maybe even get it enchanted or w/e you people do these days.

Catch ticks. If you can't manage to set up a timer system triggered by your prompt, get as many messages (the sun fades into the west, you can no longer see invisibility, you are hungry, etc.) and use them to reset that timer. Being able to catch a few ticks of sleep can change a fight.

Train those basic skills. Every class has a few basic skills that really should be mastered first. Word of recall, sanctuary, protective shield, weapon ward, shield block, parry, dodge, etc. Knowing what skills to master first and so on can help your progression greatly. It may seem like a chore, but having your defenses, or word of recall, or hide at 100% at level 30 can easily save your life.

Stay out of sight when danger is around. If danger comes looking for you, let them come to you. Don't sit in Seringale if you see a ninja, don't hang out in the forest if there's a ranger that wants you dead. If you want, avoid the fight by staying out of public areas, with a recall potion to help you quickly escape if they find you, and at the very least if you're going to fight, draw them to a place advantageous to you.

Think about creating sound/color triggers for really important data only, and leaving everything else as colorless as possible. Being able to instantly see you've been hobbled, or charged out of the air, or tripped or blinded can make the difference between win or lose. In most cases, with super fast reaction time, you can escape most initiations while they're still lagged.

Consider creating variables if you have that knowledge of your MUD client. You can use these variables to prevent you from doing something (like casting harm, if there's still a cooldown for example) which can in turn save your life or save you from wasting a round or two of combat or wasting a flight scroll, etc.

Know when to use what items. An example is see invisible items. Some detect items will poison you, some won't last long in your bag at all, and some will last quite a while once consumed. Knowing when to use what item can save you a lot of time.

TAKE ADVANTAGE of Timaran potions before 50. They can help you gain levels, gold, and more importantly gear you'd need a group for. Once you hit 50 that free ride is over.

I suggest being frugal. Gold makes the world go round.

Make friends, help them, help them help you, and don't be afraid to gank with them. If you're not in a cabal, you don't have to be fair, or follow any sort of rules regarding ganking. Gank to your heart's content, get more items, more gold, and more combat experience. Just know what goes around comes around.

When hiding, check the adjacent area WHERE. Be quick, and if you see someone coming, quickly return to your hiding spot, and recall before they notice. You'll seem like you were born to hide and escape, without them knowing they were literally steps away from you a bunch of times. Also, keep moving. I find that when I'm hiding and I keep moving I rarely am found. If you're running west out of Seringale, and you manage to hide in Valour, take a few moments rest, then continue south or west, keep putting space between you and your pursuer.

When fighting a class that can assassinate, or requires you to be a full HP (like backstab), carry around a low savebreak item for quick switches. Consider roots from emerald for the poison.

When fighting someone more powerful than you, or better than you, you'll want to play the waiting game. Frustrate them, tire them out, throw them off their game, waiting for them to make a mistake, then capitalize. Some of the best players in this game have no patience, they'll try and seize that kill, they'll chase you around relentlessly, over extend and usually leave themselves open.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject:

[quote=erlwith]
When fighting someone more powerful than you, or better than you, you'll want to play the waiting game. Frustrate them, tire them out, throw them off their game, waiting for them to make a mistake, then capitalize. Some of the best players in this game have no patience, they'll try and seize that kill, they'll chase you around relentlessly, over extend and usually leave themselves open.
[/code]
And that's the truth ruth.

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject:

Honestly there are things about AR that I am discovering almost every time I pk against someone I have not before! Let us continue to share the Knowledge!

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject:

if you're proactive, you're the one deciding when and where the fight takes place. That is one of the most important factors in the game, I think. Choosing the fight location. From rangers calling their pets out of woods, to dirt chances of success being different for different classes based on the room type, to dupes and zombies or plain being on water/flying to deal with rogues. Proactive has a lot more going for it than being reactive.

beia wrote:
Honestly there are things about AR that I am discovering almost every time I pk against someone I have not before! Let us continue to share the Knowledge!

that's more or less the mission statement for anyone: every fight, take at least one thing you can learn from it.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: