Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 14 hours.

Mid-rank area spells (25-30)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clifton

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Mid-rank area spells (25-30)

With some recent occurances, I was curious to see if anyone noticed the power of these, and if so, any opinions on if they are over powered? ***s from DKNS, and who know what from invokers ... Opinions and feedback is appreciated.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject:

Talking about that, lets touch on Wrath and Harmspell too in here. Getting lamed to death within 3 to 5 rounds cus of your pathetic 400hp at lvl 20(23 for harm) to 35.. is kinda.. wierd.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject:

Did you try wearing save afflictives?

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject:

doesn't really help either, -30 save vs aff from four pathetic pieces of eq, and sacrificing 10hit/dam isn't pretty wise against those that can harm/fireball/wrath, and still do disembowels with normal hits cus of their usually decked out suit of mithril/living wood, or red dragon....

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Harmspell and fireball are really overpowered. I've never really fought against a paladin too much, as I prefer to be the one wrathing to death, not getting wrathed. Razz But I have noticed that it is a bit overpowered. Really all I think could be done, and this would make sense to me, is to make saves gear less crappy? Not saying it all is or anything. Make the stuff from mahn-tor a bit tougher to get and make it a bit stronger? That'd be my suggestion. But all in all I agree, far too powerful at mid ranks. Level forty or so I could see it dealing out that kind of damage, but not at mid twenties to mid thirties. Thats obscene. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Looking at the damage by level curve, wrath is about right--strong but well-behaved across levels, like hellstream is. Biggest offenders are harm and acid blast, with some feasible arguments possibly being made for fireball and lightning bolt under certain circumstances. Acid blast is particularly poorly behaved--not only is it considerably stronger than harm at mid-levels, but has more than double the mana efficiency as well. Mid-level shamans can be prone to running out of mana from spamming harm (after putting up sanc/prot shield and maybe a few tries at summon) but a necro's just not going to have that problem.

Mind you, this is discussing how the damage of the spell changes across levels, and not the damage of the spell itself.

I do think "overpowered" is too general of a term to be useful within this context.

Quote:
doesn't really help either, -30 save vs aff from four pathetic pieces of eq, and sacrificing 10hit/dam isn't pretty wise against those that can harm/fireball/wrath, and still do disembowels with normal hits cus of their usually decked out suit of mithril/living wood, or red dragon....

It doesn't help the most when you don't use them at all.

If you can't cast spells back against someone like that, then your class has other tricks to handle them.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject:

Burzuk wrote:
(..)
It doesn't help the most when you don't use them at all.

If you can't cast spells back against someone like that, then your class has other tricks to handle them.

Yes that's why I see so few, almost no level 20 to 30s wearing the armor from mahn-tor vs most types of spellcasters. Almost no one wears the save vs aff ones as far as I've seen, only a few of them wear the save vs mal ones.

By "If you can't cast spells back against someone like that", you gotta mean warriors/berserkers/monks. Warriors don't get really special skills at mid 20 to 30s, besides the routine "dirt,disarm,camp at weapon", it's worse if they are wielding nondisarmables, plus if you're against dark knights, they'll just dirt you back then flee for the tick. Of course, by wearing save vs mals for a while, you can save your skin against dks and shamans for a tad, until they decide to switch to co/c harm, or c fire/iceball. But when you switch the eq against aff, they'll just co bli,co poi again. More or less you're dead either way unless they're really dumb and got caught spamming while the protectives disappear(prot shield).

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject:

There are many non-spellcastering classes--monks, thieves, etc. And you have a couple with only a small handful of spells--rangers, ninjas, etc. Lots of different ways to fight spellcasters, especially at mid-levels where they run into mana efficiency/max problems (spell costs haven't settled down to minimum yet, worse damage output/duration, big mana spells takes higher % of overall mana to cast, etc) and have worse spell selection than at high levels. If you nail your saves at mid-levels, that spellcaster is in trouble. And fewer moves and slower mv regen to run away from you.

If you think it's hard to fight a spellcaster as a warrior or berserker at 25, how much harder is it to fight them at 50?

You're supposed to be cleaning out spellcasters at mid levels.

0 0 0
krok

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject:

Killing spellcasters at 25 with warrior is easy. Just wait till fly runs out (if they are not avians) then trip and they are dead. or wait till prot shield runs out and bash. Someone said that they blind or poison. So what? Get some potions of if you have gold go to the temple and let the priest heal you. and mages can use only few weapons so use one they dont know, if they still fly and have a prot shield then just keep them dirted and disarm them. Think creativly.

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Uh, just use a purple.
With purples, warriors definately outdamage spellcasters, even acid blasters, especially when you use the dirt/flee/come back/murder strategy.

And against maledictive casters, a couple gold rings and gyvels can't be that hard to get...

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject:

well even if, you have a hoard of purples and use the flee;murder tech, if the caster is clever enough to just cast his aff spells and have a wimpy that's erm.. lower than 50%, right when you come in you'll still be quite messed up..

blahblah has fled!
blahblah walks north.

<prompt>

blahblah walks in.
blahblah murders you for 3 wounds

ca fireb/co harm
Your fireball/harm MANGLES blahblah.

about that..

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: