Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 11 hours.

A new Idea involving Portals and Nexus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: A new Idea involving Portals and Nexus

I was thinking there could be some sort of timed Nexus thing, like every hour at 00:01 a portal from Darkhaven to Seringale opens, then at 06:00 a portal from Darkhaven to Timaran opens and so on... Other nexus would open from various places, like the portal in Winter would open to the Forest of illusion or something like that..

Constructive comments only please.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject:

we should make an icebox subforum for ideas like this that we don't want to implement now but would be a good idea later, where we can move/copy threads like this to gank ideas from when we need them

the Nexus stuff I think is one of those "low pbase" features, enabling players to get around from place to place faster to make the world seem more full. Keeping it around in this form if/when the pbase increases to the point where we don't need that anymore would make a lot of sense and I think it sounds like it would be nifty

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject:

SK mud feature.

0 0 1
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject:

What is wrong with using other muds ideas? If they are good ideas and fun for us, why do you care?

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject:

Monkey see, Monkey do. China has been very successful.

Actually this 'feature' is from a 100 different muds. portals, trains, wagons, boats, whatever.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject:

As the person who ultimately chooses what's a good fit and what isn't, I can tell you a couple of things that influence major decisions about taking features from elsewhere the most.

Number one is meeting expectations - if guys are going to login expecting a minimap, autocomplete keywords or something else that would cause them to prefer a mud directly over another, I am going to make sure our game's appeal is maximized by getting that feature. The "golden road" feature I believe we were the first mud to do, quite possibly, but I can tell you right now there are other muds already also using it (do I care? No I'm flattered by it, and we've had that competitive edge of doing it first for a bit). Good helpfiles on a game is very rare. Overblown color is common, to the point people will give our game a miss because it doesn't look colorful enough (the same can be said for non-zmud mud clients). I consider that an effective retard filter, but we have really nice colors if people bother to turn it all on. Quest systems are common, and basically necessary to have due to MMO, but you guys have probably figured out I'm not a huge fan. Reason 1, procedurally generated content has little appeal to me, and reason 2, I don't like replaying the same content... so its a net crap feature (unless very well written). So that's one area where we dont do a whole lot and probably could pick the slack up, but we wouldn't get ahead at all just spending time there.

Which brings me onto the next. Number two is distinguishing. This is a big deal because there are so many dikumuds that seem to be on the exact same game engine, and its the most played of the free muds. We need to offer something different, and copying it from another game is counter-productive in that regard. I've just explained why I would copy something - but if it isn't meeting an expectation, and another mud is doing it... I probably will look instead for something different to do.

So thanks, but no I don't want to use that idea. I already did something different. But I am not at alll against using ideas that were already used and well-received (especially when they are in successful commercial games). For instance, shop gambling items is straight out of D2 if not older games, and on AR it is little different, key thing being it was something that just gets pushed aside because people get loads of MF and kill bosses all day. So maybe few remembers it being originally from d2, but I remember trying and thinking, wow this is great gold sink

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: