Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 21 hours.

Lower number of lives per character
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m1coftw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Honestly can't see what's wrong with the current system.

There's things of more importance to discuss, balance and fix.

The simple fact that most people don't condie doesn't mean that some don't!

1 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Its not the number of lives that's the problem, its the lack of pbase is why people aren't condying as fast.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I really wanted to comment.

Olyn points how how he would gladly trade in extra lives to remove the constitution penalty for dying, and I think that points out just how bad of a system losing stat points for dying is.

I know we want death to be punishing and something to avoid, but permanent loss of stat points is really a kick in the nuts. It means that as you die, your character slowly loses value that can never be replaced. That's part of the reason people delete before condeath, because who wants to play a permanently gimped character? If your goal is to encourage people to rage delete after just a few deaths and never reach condeath, then the system of constitution loss is brilliant. Otherwise, it's awful.

Instead of a system that makes people NOT want to ever play their character again, how about a system that punishes players for dying while still encouraging them to keep their character and continue playing. How about a death-tax? You die, 10% of the gold in your bank account disappears. Oh and if you die to a mob the gold in your inventory disappears too (gold in your sack too, monks I'm looking at you). This is better than permanent stat loss because gold can be replaced- by actually playing the game.

Plus a death-tax would be a nice sinkhole for gold, which would help bolster AR's economy by preventing people from becoming so rich that gold becomes meaningless.

By replacing a permanent stat loss in death with gold loss that can be replaced by playing, I think we'll see more people who are less afraid of dying (and thus permanently gimping their character), which means more PK, more killing, and more people logging in all around.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject:

It's a tradeoff. You can save trains for your constitution or spend them in HP. You decide whether or not your character slowly loses value that can never be replaced. If that extra 30hp is worth an early death or not is entirely up to you.

1 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject:

61 deaths to condeath. That's 12 points of constitution loss. You get a total of 10 free trains in the game, so you'd have to save every single one of them plus 2 more from extra practices to offset the constitution loss from getting to a condeath. 120 hp (or 240mv) is a lot of hp to deprive your character of. So either way, if you plan on going to condeath, you're going to gimp your character. That's just a matter of fact.

The system we have in place actively discourages people from keeping a character to condeath. You can't really argue that. If you think that's a good thing, okay, but don't sit around wondering why so few people make it to condeath.

1 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject:

I condied with Rondak, it wasn't that bad. I just saved a few trains, and wore con items for the rest. There are some items that grant 5 con etc.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject:

I've had a condeath character and one with one life left. The con loss SUCKS. I could barely hold a shield let alone block with it. I'd love to see this changed.

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:

I'd remove con loss completely and just let the lives run out normally.

Con loss discourages playing a char with really low con due to several penalties, such as crappy curing, crappy shield block and crap regen.

Because most people by now have played every single race/class combo, they dont wanna save 10 trains just for con training but rather min/max their capabilities and stats.

Con loss is one of the biggest factors why so little amount of chars live to see condeath imo and why punish people who stick through rapings, despair and constant eq-loss?

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject:

Either way, everybody would still delete their characters before condeath.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject:

Con loss is not why people delete the embarrassment from getting killed is what pushes most people over the edge

1 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

If you're worrying about losing con, roll a gnome or an illithid, so many practices and can one prac everything, stop crying.

1 0 0
gomerstyle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject:

As someone who has a character who is near con death and the con penalty is really hard on a healer, if it wasn't for the set i have i would be in big trouble, I think dying all your deaths without any penalty would be a better way to go. Even though i have wanted to rage delete once or twice goron is still up an running and without the con loss i would be alot more willing to go into battle or do things i normally wouldn't do. Just my two cents on the matter

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Currently if your con is under max, you get reduced effect from magical heals based on the number of con points you are under maximum. That'd be annoying on an old healer without correct itemization.

What's the benefit to having an old character? Is there any? Maybe we should make some kind of a benefit to old age if there isn't one now. I don't like the idea of removing con loss at all, I'd never advocate for that. Death penalties are too integral to the game, some things can't be messed with cuz they might poison the formula that made this game fun for so many years in the first place.

0 0 0
xanthas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject:

dav has been messing with the formula for years. what's a little more tweaking

1 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

There's already multiple penalties for dying. I simply don't see how con-loss helps the cause, rather than what Goron said; unwilling to participate certain events due to fragile state.

I would rather think of a new penalty or a way to be able to restore con w/o gimping your char by saving all trains for 60 deaths, which would otherwise be +100 max hp.

Maybe instead of con loss, make it that if you get 5 deaths, you lose a random % of a random skill/spell instead - that would give incentive to train even as a maxed out old character and a way to regain your loss with time investment, which is important to make people log on and actually play rather than cower with 5 con.

And RP sense, it makes sense, as your character reincarnates but not as completely apt as it used to be.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: