Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

running ideas thread for murder counters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Unless I'm COMPLETELY missing something HUGE then I don't know why this conversation is even happening.

I think you completely missed these all of these points:

1) people have said warrior fighting is just a flee/murder spam - they're trying to get a combat advantage without suffering the wield lags - and its effective ..almost a bit cheesy.

2) Not all the classes (or even races, arguably) actually have the necessary hp and defenses to tank sustained flee/murdering long enough to hold out for an advantaged attack which they can hobble or dirt kick on. I've seen some players of 5+ years remark that they feel like just punching bags, and when I watch some half-elf warrior throwing down hobble and then going berserk with pincer attacks, concentrate extra damage and lucky strikes, I don't blame them.

3) Some class (e.g. pally) lack dirt, lag, hobble, bash, or anything else that can prevent a spam of flee/murdering and I don't see that as "ok". You're not thinking, you're grinding out a kill by repeating the same thing, and there's nothing your opponent can do besides spam his own murders. Gosh thats interesting isnt it.

4) Its a bit pointless to switch weapons in combat if your opponent is going to be able to flee/switch/attack before you can get out of swap lag ..even if they were already skill lagged.... and being in switch lag basically makes hobble stronger since they have time to murder/hobb and not have to suffer the initiation lag penatly so much (the lower durations on 2h switching should have helped a bit in this regard).

5) Some classes are pwned so badly by, say, dual wield flail murders that there's a point to be made that there needs to be some form of defence there. I'm not talking about shamans and healers here though. Those classes get heal spells. If you haven't ever played a gnome mage and tried to tank flee/murders then I can totally understand why you are saying that. Otherwise you should be able to see using just basic reckoning in your head that flee/murder with warrior hp+flails vs spamming lightning bolts against warcry+sanc+decent saves with mage hp (and using mana) is going to work amazingly well. Mages end up being given hellstream so they just do uber-damage spell instead of lightning bolt, but then there's the trash naked mage problem it creates (see: Vauhn) so that's not really the right answer.

You can go to the logboards and find logs that illustrate all of those points.

I'm not saying you should sit in combat and spam kick, but maybe you should try staying to perform a combat skill sometimes if you dont want to flee and then eat skill X from some players. Is that such a big deal?

We're looking for classes who face those situations with difficulty and have no response. Not blanket nerf to murder. Remember for every tactic there should be some sort of counter available, or any dumbass can do that. We're just considering skills we can introduce to provide those counters where we want them.

We're *not* looking for fundamental changes to game mechanics. I would agree that we dont want to scribble over beautiful paintings but AR is not as close to a beautiful painting as all that. Its like the warrior class has tons of nuanced stuff and then you get onto something like an invoker and its like playing the 10 year old version of the game again. There's still plenty of room for improvement. There are flaws and we can consider introducing various different techniques to classes to plug them up, if we feel they should be plugged up. Its obvious that we are proceeding very cautiously and I intend to be very contemplative about any skill change I decide on, if any at all. I'm as wary as you are about skill bloat and things, but we do still have some situations where it wouldnt be without reason to introduce skills to help.

Anyhow, quit threadjacking if you have no ideas, getting tired of all the idea threads being screwed over by that. Kinda starting to feel like the attitude is some of the people who play here are just afraid the cheese they're relying on is about to get patched instead of co-operating with me to improve the game. I don't really want to think that way but that's generally been the case when players are change-averse, and I don't know why else you would deny the problem. Let me be clear that I am not here to spoil the game which you all enjoy, but rather make it more fun and rewarding for you to spend your time on. So lets see a productive thread for a change. If you are playing a warrior especially you should know better than anyone when fights are turning out to be easy and you should be willing to own up to it and let your opponents have some sort of sporting chance if you want the competition to stick around. I could also go roll a warrior to steamroll you guys with if you need convincing there's nothing wrong, but I figured the fact that 20% of the entire playerbase is warriors (with the favored tactic to be flee/murder) would be persuasive enough, and then we can discuss what are options are to do about it.. alternatively, we can go back to waiting for Burzuk to come back and deal with these things, which would be wonderful but its been well over 2 years of absence for him, and none of us are getting any younger.

More example ideas :-

ice shield: slows the "initial" attacks (i.e. when you murder an invoker with ic eshield up, they fight like they are slowed for those attacks, as they move in closer)

fire shield: chance to blind for 1 round when you flee from an invoker with this shield up

(i give those 3/10 maybe, 6 for imagination and -3 for being on a run and gun class that I described does flee/attacks of its own and deserves to get hit)

As for now, for bonus murder protection, you may wish lead your opponents into rooms with only one exit, like the inns. You will find flee is just more difficult , although when they do flee, they will know exactly which way to come back, but in general theyre having to input more flee commands and it gives you more time to get out of lag and dirt them.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject:

The murder from flee/murder doesn't actually start until the round of combat starts.

So..

Code:
>
Bob has fled.

>
Bob walks in.

>
Bob engages you in combat. <-- murder lag starts ticking down from here.
You yell 'Help! Bob is trying to molest me!'

-- mid round.
In response you can hellstream or flee or something

> c 'hellstream'
Your hellstream @} @} @} AROUSES  <3 <3 <3 Bob!

> -- combat starts.
Bob's finger DISMEMBERS you!
Your crying grazes Bob. -- Bob's murder lag ends somewhere in here, you're still hellstream lagged.

>
Bob's hobble ....

I think this idea has been suggested already, but I figured I'd try to illustrate it. What it really does is to get rid of the cheesy extra attacks so that person A doesn't get twice as many rounds of combat as person B. (6 extra rounds of 1 decimate is about 150hp). Everything would stay the same, but you'd get punished less for fleeing and being engaged on.

Another thought, why does the person getting engaged on sit there and take free hits? A berserker would try something.. wild smash, hitting back, etc. mage casts hellstream, clerics some big heal or something. Give the person engaged on a free action, affected by some stat. An invoker might instinctively cast a magic missle/burning hands/lightning bolt (harry potter does expelliarmus). Hell, it could even be something that's trained.

0 0 0
RebornShadows

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject:

I have been playing alot of warriors lately and yeah flee murder is something that i do only against mage classes because it is a cheese way to kill them i would love to see some changes that help those classes cause well frankly if you play one it sucks to get hit by flee murder all the damn time and if you are attacking them you can see how simple and easy it is to do.

P.S. I like clif's idea

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject:

I apologize for missing the point. I have never played a gnome invoker. IN fact I've basically never played any mage class. I do, however, have a lot of experience with warriors and the flee murder tactic is their tactic, when I first started playing this game years ago I was told specifically that flee murder was how you kill mages and clerics. I always assumed it was supposed to be that way, because your other choice is sit in combat and eat hellstreams all day, and while you fellows might think the skirmish tactic is cheese, try and not flee against an invoker one of these days, especially Alzuur in those treant thews, because he's going to do more combat damage then you(because he's in thews you're in saves) and he's going to hellstream you, he'll splatter your roasted flesh all over Thera if you try that.

As for skirmishing against other warriors or rangers or paladins, you're not going to get any kills that way because they can run away whenever they want, AND they can skirmish right back, right? Skirmishing takes two skills, murder and flee, everyone has those skills, therefore everyone can skirmish, not just warriors. Skirmishing isn't even effective against other warriors because they'll just switch weapons when you flee all the same, look at some of the logs, there's a lot less fleeing going on then there used to be. As for paladins, I haven't fought one in forever but I remember fighting Ardroedous(or however you spelt it) back when he was first a footman and getting my butt handed to me with a skirmishing warrior. So skirmishing doesn't make us unbeatable, not even close.

That being said

Give the mages and/or clerics some type of force push, vampire thrust move where they can knock back/knock down the charging flee murder warrior when he initiates, making him trip over himself and eliminating the entire free round but he still suffers the lag, of course this couldn't work EVERY time, because, well that'd be ridiculous

Give the rangers a volley attack, so the murder isn't a free round, because the ranger gets three javelins in there while the warrior runs him down

Make the paladins dig in their polearms and wait for the warrior to shred himself on it while he closes in. Make it somewhat like a charge attack except lag the paladin alittle less and probably a tiny bit less damage too.

Make the berserker tackle the warrior AFTER the free round and get in his own ground and pound round, where he just throws his fists and head at the guys face for a round.

I still haven't quite caught on to why or what exactly we're doing here, but there are a few of my quickly thought up and not thought out ideas for you.

<EDIT>

And just for kicks, here is three examples, albeit the same two people
http://www.invokation.net/logs/view.php?id=3905
That warrior never once fled, not just didn't flee murdered, never once fled in all three duels

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject:

I think bassball makes a good point in the sense that if warriors are kinda forced to stay in combat, why let mages get a free walk out of combat? If it comes down to melee + saves vs afflictives, it's effectively RNG isn't it? Chicken until someone pulls out?

-- don't mean to threadjack.

Edit: as for the log, it's pretty obvious that one person outgears that other significantly. Ebony kris + mace of disruption vs... well, decimates/mutilates vs wounds.

0 0 0
Insom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject:

anybody using flee/murder is cheesy regardless of which class that does it. It's cheesy for invokers that flee/hellstream, its cheesy for illusionists that flee/prismatic spray while his dupes tank, its cheesy for necros that flee/acid blast while zombies tank, its cheesy for rangers flee/murder while pet tanks. Why put in a bunch of cool stuff like combat modules, skills, and such just to have flee/murder as the tactic used 99% of the time? It's super cheesy.

Flee/murder allowed for the creation of this set of triggers.

flee
scan all <direction of target equals "direction">
go direction
murder

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject:

Pets flee when master flees.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I apologize for missing the point. I have never played a gnome invoker. IN fact I've basically never played any mage class. I do, however, have a lot of experience with warriors and the flee murder tactic is their tactic, when I first started playing this game years ago I was told specifically that flee murder was how you kill mages and clerics. I always assumed it was supposed to be that way, because your other choice is sit in combat and eat hellstreams all day, and while you fellows might think the skirmish tactic is cheese, try and not flee against an invoker one of these days, especially Alzuur in those treant thews, because he's going to do more combat damage then you(because he's in thews you're in saves) and he's going to hellstream you, he'll splatter your roasted flesh all over Thera if you try that.

Uhm, it comes down to the freedom to run away and use scrolls and wands, which is really a fundamental part of the game.

Your problem is not that he is in treant and you are in saves, your problem is once you do his total hp in 3 rounds you let him run away and heal up instead of being on his ass. Then to top it off you wait until the end of hellstream to flee/murder and let him initiate because you're too slow.

Plenty of invoker Justices have done very well without thews, and plenty of people have killed them.

0 0 0
Ashr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure I've never been spam "skirmished" on AR, but I've seen it/done it/received it on a number of other muds, and I always loathed it.

But that's beside the point.

I was just thinking, as a variant to the "backstrike" idea, it might be fun (probably for rogues or something) to have something that works the same, but hits the murderer. Sort of like a temporarilly activatable "counter" (I'm guessing, haven't been on the receiving end of that either). It'd share the same weaknesses, it'd be a pain/waste of time to use if you weren't sure you were going to be attacked soon, and the best time to know that is if someone is flee/murdering you. Possibly "lure" or something.

Could also lead up to some nasty surprises when someone knows they're about to be hit.

And now I should probably stop coming up with gameplay ideas and go back to n00bdeaths on explorer chars so I can figure out what all this "eq" nonsense is about. It might also help if I stopped trying to turn my mudclient into vim, but I digress.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject:

I like Insoms fleeing more then one room away thing ,, hell It should be a possibliliy of fleeing four rooms or something ,, Fleeing to me means run away ,, if you want to have a different command for the "flee Murder" thing it should be like disingage and you move to the other side of the room the fight stops and you remurder in the same room

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject:

Lets summarise what we know so far:

warriors - seem flee murder each other too much, but maybe ok because they're a tank class, its just a struggle for combat advantage. can dirt
paladins - dogfood for a flee murder
berserkers - slightly inferior to warriors in a flee/murder exchange, but better regen on ticks than *everyone*, somethings probably worth having but at a price of coming along with something done to the additional regen on ticks
rangers - have a noticeably stronger "flee" and "murder" than warrior in two styles, but nothing else available for dual wield beyond enhanced damage. something seems missing there, but only *slightly*
dark-knights - almost same boat as pally , does have dirt, but its the 1 round type
thief - long duration dirts can shut the tactic down, though hobble is pretty horrendous to have flee/murder on top
ninja - dust/dirt and caltraps is a bit scary for flee/murder users
bard - dogfood, but do we even care?
healers - can fly. can cure through this. tactic really helpful for burning healers mana
shamans - same as healer,
invoker - these guys just need ice/fire shield damage returned when they get murdererd so that people arent using that to work around their shields, otherwise class is busy enough itself with flee/attacking that it might end up benefiingt from warriors fleeing
illusionist - a good defence is a strong offence in this case. perhaps mirrors could provide protection on RNG, but we'd have to be very careful with this. something like mirrors take up duplicate spots, for example,,
necromancer - same as illusionist, they shouldnt be worrying about getting flee/murdered because rend life is a 1 round lag, and their charmies are stupid

The only classes with the issues is arguably warrior , berserker, ranger, invoker because of shield choices, and definitely pally, dk, bards

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject:

Going to debunk and comment.

warriors - agreed. could implement extra attacks as a skill.
paladins - divine might + heroism + cures probably makes up for being dogfood vs evils. see: Adroredus
berserkers - talked about this point before. they're gimpy warriors with rage. regen doesn't make up for extra damage taken or damage lost (shield vs dual wield). don't like the idea of berserkers having to tickwhore and play like a wannabee warrior. always seemed like more of a go in guns blazing type class.
rangers - snap shot, quick volley, quick draw + pets seem to make them pretty alright with murder/flee. they've also got dual wield as well as nice dirt kick in forest. Plenty strong class right now, see: Razza, Hrimoyan, etc.
dark-knights - charmie to rescue if they're fast enough as well as extra damage. but like everything they have, it can be a double edged sword.
thief - always seemed like 3 rounds of hobbled resulted in a ton more damage taken vs 3 rounds of dirt kick. shitty parry (highest strength thief is duerg at 22), and meh counterbalance. weapon skills might be nice for counters. but they'll lose on health.
ninja - same hobble thing as thieves. same weapon skills thing. blindness dust is killer.
bard - give them eye gouge. problem fixed. :-\
healers - pretty good at surviving anything. divine ret for return damage if you want to be more offensive. just flee/word/gate if things get too hot.
shamans - attrition wins out. see: Quar.
invoker - see alzuur vs jaxt. also fire/ice/mana shield do not conflict with prot shield so they don't give up anything defensively. free offense.
illusionist - mirrors should mean that illusionists should always have the advantage. pets > flee/murder. adegraoch was pretty good at this.
necromancer - get torn apart by flee murder if successful. rescue lag > murder/flee. missed spells also result in taking hits.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject:

Alzuur vs jaxt was an awful fight on the berserkers side. Please don't attempt to strawman that. I think high level play logs are often good for illustration purposes but sometimes they're just cack.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject:

Not going to disagree on shitty fight from the berserker. But, Jaxt probably got outdamaged 3 to 1 (so 3 to 2 with sanctuary). Point being that it means berserkers are forced to skirmish like warriors/rangers.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:

Okay... here's a better illustration of flee murder usage:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/109789/message/1162427971/Worvaz+vs+Lonova

as you'll see in this log, the warrior (considered to be one of the best warrior players of all time) is just trying to work a simple flee/murder on hobbled target. It fails somewhat because of preparation - the DK happens to be using a fully charged unholy frenzy resulting in about 75 damroll, and has a lot of other pimp things going for it like justice shield rebuking wild attacks, and flail-based water vuln, but that's really just the tip of the iceberg. The response to the flee murdering is to try spamming damage spells to return the damage.. hopefully even outdamage.. and that's what you roll a dark-knight for. You may not comprehend the amount of thought and planning the dark-knightplayer had done to get the better off this warrior who is pretty much going yeehaw spam murders with my nice shit, ignoring barrage and shield disarm *completely*, but , for instance, the dkn is chickening behind a shield so that he wont be sideswipe-lagged to be able to cast those spells later on in the fight, he starts off with a dagger knowing that a shield is going to bait the warrior into axe, which is the dwarf favored anyways, and its counter (segment) is going to be answerable with the water flail on the dwarf vuln (not a weapon advantage in that case, but vulns are tight and segments dont parry that well, and hopefully he doesnt return to axe because he doesn't realise the disadvantage since its not in his prompt in red lettering). Also a charmie with a spear is chosen for its weapon adv against segment and bonus against dodge, and thats another small factor that helped tip this fight. He is a drow instead of human so that the warrior is less likely to succeed a dirt, which otherwise would be pwnage. That's basically the thinking that won the fight. Don't bother to dirt, let the warrior resort to simple minded tactics because he can see, let him think he is safe against his vuln because he has high hp and its not a weapon "disadvantage" - blind fighting means dirt makes little difference anyway, thats one reason why you see vamp touch instead, another reason is correctly expecting a lack of saves on the target - and finally punishing the error with an all-in spell damage spam. Just look at the amount of stuff there, just to prevail over hobble -> flee/murder flee/murder flee/murder , and if it wasn't for the cabal confinement involvement, he couldve picked his moment to just flee and try again later, and hope for better RNG

And I think with the advent of wield lags, the flee/murder on dk has got a lot stronger, and you need some better anti-fleeing spell, like those harms and fireballs at the end were intended for at the end there, but stronger and only firing once on a flee (the dwarf doesnt even start doing that until pretty hurt, and almost wins from there). Its a spell to cast when you notice a warrior is brainlessly flee murdering you. Probably a water-based spell, like an avalanche of water falling, since dwarf warrior is a dkn's worst problem, and otherwise just a regular harm damage. Its not there to stop the flee-murders, its there to keep the dk damage output over par with the warrior damage output. It needs to be decent because of the starting hp - 1050 vs 740. Maybe something more is needed to use against enemies while dirt kicked too, since dirt is really nasty on that class.

Lets talk about logs like that for the other class examples, if we want to dispute them. We have a massive resource of logs to draw on to help us make the right decisions. They needn't be the most recent ones. Also, no more heads in the sand. We have wield lags now. Thank you.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject:

I always wondered why he never barraged.

Oh and don't forget vamp touch working on afflictive break

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject:

easy.

give hybrids and rogues the ability to use a skill that takes some mana and move, but fortifies them against a murder, so they take one or two hits out of a possible eight.

Isn't the point that a person is supposed to attack first anyway? that stops a flee murder..

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject:

Old thread but just wanna give my few ideas incase SOMEONE actually bothers reading. (srsly Dav, i have had few great ideas, stop discriminating me because i'm black!)

Firstly, it takes a bit of coding BUT you COULD implement a passive speed factor for weapons for initation atleast.

I mean, if you are using a slow weapon, like two-hander or heavy axe or shit, your 'initation' delay is a bit bigger. If you use weapons like daggers your initation delay would be basically non-excistant coz you're such a fucking ninja who does the slice'n'dice shit like a monkey on a crack, right?

How about implementing a delay to each weapon group which kicks in at initation, just like Clifton the Turtle-Eye suggested.

Code:
You approach Bob trying to slash him

Code:
Like 0.7 sec delay for slash? And then round begins!

Code:
You approach Bob trying to pierce him

Code:
Like 0.2 sec delay?

Code:
You approach Bob trying to cleave him

Code:
Youre a friend so youre using 2handed Kingslayer shit and you get 1second delay before you get to initate?

Srsly, you have already changed so much in this basic ROM combat system shit, why not take some radical steps towards PERFECTION OF GOATFUCK?

Well anyway, im wasted, gn!

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject:

Make the lag for fleeing 1 round. Whether you succeed or not.

Would make combat more interesting around the board as you're somewhat more locked into combat. I've always thought it was stupid that there was so much fleeing in combat in general.

Also, why does murder give a free round of combat in the first place? What's the point of that? Make it so that the first round of combat after a murder is an even round: Both players exchange blows.

That way the charge skill might actually become useful.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject:

divsky wrote:
Make the lag for fleeing 1 round. Whether you succeed or not.

Shocked

Code:

you yell 'help im being attacked by warrior1590"

warrior1590's slash MASSACRES you!
warrior1590's pierce MANGLES you!
warrior1590's slash DISMEMBERS you!
warrior1590's pierce MASSACRES you!
warrior1590's pierce MUTILATES you!
warrior1590's slash MANGLES you!
warrior1590's pierce DISMEMBERS you!

you sure are bleeding!

You attempt to flee, but fail. You are now lagged 1 round.

warrior1590's pierce MANGLES you!
warrior1590's slash DISMEMBERS you!
warrior1590's pierce MASSACRES you!
warrior1590's pierce MUTILATES you!
warrior1590's slash MANGLES you!
warrior1590's pierce DISMEMBERS you!

You have been killed!!

or

Code:

Your slash MASSACRES gimp!
Your pierce MANGLES gimp!
Your slash DISMEMBERS gimp!
Your pierce MASSACRES gimp!
Your pierce MUTILATES gimp!
Your slash MANGLES gimp!
Your pierce DISMEMBERS gimp!

Gimp has fled! #trigger scan all

You scan east.
Gimp is here, waiting off flee lag of 1 round.

You walk east.

murder gimp

Your pierce MANGLES gimp!
Your slash DISMEMBERS gimp!
Your pierce MASSACRES gimp!
Your pierce MUTILATES gimp!
Your slash MANGLES gimp!
Your pierce DISMEMBERS gimp!

Gimp has been killed!

this already happens with dirt kick and hobble faceplants.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: