Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 1 day, 14 hours.

Regeneration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vari

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Regeneration

I think most of us can agree that "tick based" regen is seriously 1999.

Especially with the new regeneration item attributes and such, we could utilize a constant smooth regeneration algorythm instead.

Cons of a tick regen:

-Unfair advantage for those with highly scripted tick timers (one should not gain a significant advantage in a game using 3rd party programs, 90% of games agree on that)
-Unrealistic, seems weird to only heal once in an hour for a rapid amount
-Makes PK and pve dull and MAINLY about catching ticks (read the first point)
-Removes a lot of possibilities and dynamic solutions that could be utilized and used

Pros of a constant regen:

-More realistic
-More smooth and fluid gameplay in PK and pve (more skill based PK rather than being "pro" at catching ticks with a script, you can still gain distance and sleep-regen while a slow opponent is chasing you though, so that would not be broken)
-A lot of possibilities:
Berserkers trophy could be a very strategical to use while fighting
Option to make con affect regen speed directly, making some interesting combos and builds viable with itemization, skills and so on.
-More dynamic gameplay and saving trains for con and utilizing it on level 50 with non-shieldblocking character more useful than just avoiding perma-death.
- A lot of more things to think about, brews, herbs, bard songs, racial legacies etc. to all affect regeneration.

I think all in all, it just feels more smooth and right than "catching ticks" which has been a part of stock rom gameplay for too long imo.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject:

The ticks aren't actually every 30 seconds, there is some varying degree in them I believe to prevent something like that. Some ticks come sooner, some later.

But I do like the idea of a more fluid based regeneration.

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject:

doesn't sound like getting rid of tick based, just shorter ticks that heal for less

0 0 0
Vari

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject:

"shorter ticks that heal for less" - technically correct, but visually it's like 0.5sec between tick so it looks fluid.

Not sure how draining it can be on the server considering it's a rom codebase and tick checks are made in kind of a stupid way.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

This idea has merit. I like the concept, at least.

I've always felt that those who have the ability to put together a good tick timer have a huge advantage compared to those who cannot.

Maybe the longer you sleep, the faster your regen is. Especially if you are full (food and drink).

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

We already tried that before and we ended up changing it back.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject:

Didn't we have mini ticks, every 15 seconds or something? I like the thought of more strategic regeneration and such. Sleeping in the middle of combat does feel silly and is completely immersion breaking. That is my biggest complaint about it. It is extremely easy to have a fairly reliable tick timer, and that creates and extreme edge.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject:

Perhaps we need a tick timer built into the web client to even the playing field. And instructions on how to configure one in ZMud et al.

0 0 0
Vari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject:

Instead of that you can build in a tick timer ingame then, which would serve the same purpose but overall it kind of looks really weird for dropping asleep for 5 seconds just to "catch a tick". Makes no sense, honestly.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject:

If we do change it, which I think is probably not a well-advised idea, but if we did, it would go probably something like this?

- resting and monk meditate regen is divided by 10 and applied each round of rest, but the first round of rest still does not count
- sleeping regen's bonus applied on ticks, but the first tick does not give bonus. the player must remain asleep for the entire tick. while he is asleep, he gets resting regen. if he sleeps over a tick, he gets a whole rest worth of regen. n.b. this still makes it a little worth trying to "catch" tick
- standing regen is on tick (the failed "sleeping' tick)
- there is no regen while fighting

Let me know if that seems better.. I don't mind mixing things up if you guys don't mind.

I think it would be ill advised to leap into changing this, because the regens have been balanced against the risk of being caught sleeping (backstab, blindness, charge etc) due to the lowered awareness of being unable to use the where command, and also the difficulty of actually catching the tick was considered a skill back in the day. Its just regen though, and if this system would be preferred, I wouldnt mind giving it another try. I do mind the immersion breaking aspect a bit.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:

You guys probably want to take a step back and consider really carefully whether you actually want to remove skill-based mechanics from the game in favor of automatic nanny mechanics. Would you really prefer to play in an AR where you can't learn to use this skill? Is it fun to drag everyone down to your level, or do you want to prove you're just as good as everyone else?

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I think this change is just as bad of an idea as it was when we did it last time.

0 0 0
Vari

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Nadrin, I know that you always like to suck up to whoever has the authority and I often (well, always) see you going all lemming-mode with your posts, but maybe, just maybe, explain at least this once WHY do you disagree, not because Nycticora does, why do you disagree? There's no point throwing in your 2,5 cents if you do not even elaborate or explain your reasnoning behind it.

And Nycticora, I think you are a bit overestimating the "tick catching" when it comes to having a skill. It's just been part of the game for so long that it's considered a main/vital part of PK. Actually it's not really a skill to have a tick timer tell you a 5 second warning and you type "sl". Nope, don't see any real skill, just seeing some really fucking weird mechanics if I would be a newer player (all of us are so used to it that we dont even think about how stupid it looks).

0 0 0
asudan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I have played over a decade without a tick timer, we have to leave some things original in AR, all around bad idea.

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I feel that the regeneration system is just fine the way it is. never played with a timer, and most of the time I dont have trouble catching ticks. lets worry about things like druids, and not about things that are just fine.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

incidentally scripted tick timers don't work in AR because we fuzz the number of pulses per tick randomly so if you think people are running around with accurate tick timers you're sorely mistaken

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject:

still, my tick timer helps me not be a complete dumbass and sleep for 20 seconds.

doesn't mean i can pk for squat though.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject:

I just learned to pay attention. People who use the tick timers are at more of a disadvantage because clearly they don't. That's just what I tell myself to feel better.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject:

I dont think this is anything to do with whats in stock muds, sacred cows, or just "better mechanics", its just that everybody prefers a system which is easier for them to understand and take advantage of. There's nothing wrong with self-interest.

We could try something different. Maybe by using some novelty store item like a "third age tent", we could have rest cause round-based regen and sleep cause less-regen, and then if you didn't like it, you wouldn't wear the item. I think this has potential because I could make a ring of regeneration which simply increased "regeneration" by 1. And that would actually be a very good item with the regeneration being more granular

also. if youre going to tick timer, set it slightly above the minimum limit. your goal i snt to catch every tick, its to beat the shit-eater who doesnt have a tick timer. i think i set mine to 27 secs and when i noticed i had missed a tick, i would just run around a bit more, but i was getting like 80% of ticks and definitely not sleeping for 20 seconds (ever), plus when you pop up immediately from the tick with a berserker because you caught it exactly right, it feels hilarious and wrong as fuck

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject:

Personally I prefer catching increases to hp/mana/move and displaying the deltas in my prompt. I find it more important to know whether or not I've already missed the tick, and when the last tick was, more than it's important to know when the next tick is going to be.

1 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: