Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 16 hours.

Word of Recall
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Word of Recall

A couple of suggestions have been proposed for the word of recall spell / potion

* a "channeling time" or charge time, as we have with gate/bacon, different in the sense that we would allow this to work while fighting but interruptible with skills that interrupt things. if you really wanted to gtfo instantly, youd have to flee and teleport
* some damage reduction onto recalling if it is going to force you to stay in combat a bit longer.
* a chance of failure in some areas, e.g. success is 80% in darkhaven due to the ancient curse of d'al kaddar
* an essence that is left on the ground after recalling that would appear on the 'where' command
* a message to tell you as you enter and leave areas where recall does not work

Recall that recently we added
* recall does not work while overburdened

Please leave your comments below and I will review everything later this week and decide what we are going to do, if anything.

Last edited by Davairus on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject:

What about recall potions? They are far more OP than word of recall, I even use them on my casters if I'm too lazy to master word.

Imo, above level 30, recall potions should become obsolete.

The 50% moveless drawback is obsolete with fly scrolls/innate fly and it is way too easy to solely rely on word to make for swift escapes.

Making it a channeling spell would work great too, you could be able to interrupt it with a successful kick for example.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I like the recall potions, because getting stuck in a hole would blow with no one else about to help out. Also, there is the aspect of fighting and usefulness in escape, which isn't a bad thing, it's simply too much right now with how far you have to run to get to the other side.

I like the idea of a channeling charge. Not a super long time, but enough to maybe get some hits in before the opposition goes poof, rinse, repeat.

You could do some fun things with it.

Thieves = If a thief walks in during the channeling, they could get a free no ability to fail theft from inventory. You're too busy building up the magic to stop them.

Berserkers = Headbutt doesn't stop recall, but if you get dizzy/dilerium from headbutt, you are so dizzy you have a (insert percent chance) to recall to an entirely different temple. Not like teleport in the danger, but how hysterical would it be to word from darkhaven, or valour only to wind up 10 feet away in darkhaven/valour.

Shamans/Dkns/healers/paladins = already have a chance to walk in and curse, to make the wind up for recall hurt you.

And so on.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

I think the biggest issue is that people recall to temples that are so far away. I think it would be a very positive thing to allow those chasing a recaller to return to that person's recall point with their own words, if they choose.

If I were supreme AR overlord Kato, I would add these three things:
1. 1-round uninterruptible channel on word, before it goes off
2. Recalling leaves a 2-tick recall bacon on <where> for those in your PK range
3. Those in your PK range can follow your bacon to your recall for a slightly reduced lag, say 1/2 round or so

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

there is nothing more frustrating in a game when you have a guy dead to rites and poof word. Id love to see lag time on word because when we say a mage should never die how fun is that for the rest of the classes especially when most mages horde the best eq because they just word away.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Solid idea to put a channel on word. I like the delay like that heavens gate. But would have to include potions as well.

Also maybe only specifics like invoker get a damage reduction while channeling.

Last edited by Kedaleam on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

see dav people like this, i'm not totally useless

0 0 0
gomerstyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry but the realms have gotten so retarded lately i will be deleting my characters here soon and probably not be coming back. All these changes it seems like the only thing they are for is to make it easier for those that are pk minded and not those of us who are around for different reasons. I admit word can be a pain in the ass but at the same time sitting there and fighting a raged zerker toe to toe with a healer is absolutely stupid as they do so much freaking damage even if you are well geared, and thieves now are getting even greater because of their new changes. I honestly wish the realms were like they were 10 years ago or more, i honestly had fun with characters and even if i was fighting them i still got enjoyment out of it. But lately it seems like there are so many assholes who just care about fucking up the realm for everyone else. My hat goes off to the imms for trying to make it a better place but it has gotten to a point where those of us who have been around a long time are losing hope and don't want to come around anymore. Good luck with everything and i hope it all works out in the long run

3 1
boo,
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

if recall is gimped I will literally never play a mort again. I'm not saying that to be obstinate, it is the truth

edit: I didn't even read gomer's post before writing mine. I thoroughly agree with his appraisal of the suggestions.

2 1
boo,
gomerstyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

thanks Nyc

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject:

[quote]But lately it seems like there are so many assholes who just care about fucking up the realm for everyone else.[/quote]

That's a loaded fucking statement and an insult to those of us who like changes. We're assholes now? Because you don't like them?

[quote] it has gotten to a point where those of us who have been around a long time are losing hope and don't want to come around anymore.[/quote]

Generalization. I like the changes and the adaptation required to deal with them. I've been here for a very long time.

I like RP. I like PK. If I didn't like RP and just ran around screaming, "I PWN J00 N3WBZ!", I'd get put in a small box somewhere up in davoland to think about my crimes, while Ranix screamed obscenities at me.

With that in mind, no one FORCES you to PK. If you decided to run off from every fight and hide, focusing on what aspects you choose, that's totally up to you. At what point does this require the game to GIVE you an endless supply of get out of jail free cards? Your argument is predicated on that fact. This is an RP and PK mud. You will die if you come here. Very few characters who get to 50 and last have managed to avoid it. The ones who do? They are some of the best we've ever had at PK.

Also, if the change doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. What's amazing, is I doubt ANYONE ELSE is going to pull a "I'm taking my toys and going home" guilt trip if it doesn't happen.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject:

I agree to a point that some changes have seriously made it unfun. (Mania and all of the arbitrary dk changes) but I also feel that things will eventually balance out. Most of this has to do with changes on one class leaves another class behind/underwhelming in comparison. As far as word goes, nothing sucks more that people wording from battle at 2hp and then nexus/gate/quit. It's stupid. At the same time though people need word/potions as it is an integral part of the pk aystem. Any changes would need to be very carefully Planned.

0 0 0
m1coftw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I can imagine if an old backup file from 1999 would be loaded up instead of current AR, people would be way more excited to play. Sure things were OP, sure things were unbalanced, but every class had something cheesy which made things incredibly fun. Shit has gone too complicated and overdone, the simplicity of hack and slash is almost gone. Everything is capped, nerfed, "balanced", remade etc.

But in reality, it turns things into a more dullness.

I liked when you could just find this one badass weapon and whore with it until you died, instead of having to carry an arsenal of like 5 weapons as a fighter class.

I liked when pimped out thief could seriously grief people with unspeakable backstabs.

I liked when DK's flew around cleaving people into half.

I liked when goblin shortsword assassinates were viable.

I liked when <insert more cheese here>.

Bottom line; It made game more unpredictable and offered more fucked up ways to die for hoarders and the rest, sometimes situations where you would just sit at your PC and laugh out loud.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Edit: I don't want to discredit the years of hard work that Davairus and other crew has put into the game, but it just isn't AR anymore, it's like if AR was Heroes 3 then this is Heroes 5 and everyone loves Heroes 3 more.

0 0 0
gomerstyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Faelon i meant no dissrespect to you or anyone else who has been around a long time, but there are people on here who seriously muck it up for everyone else and that is true. Also i have nothing but high regards for the imms like i posted before as i have had a lot of interaction with most of them. My point was kind of like mico's, ar is not the same as it used to be, i agree changes are needed but it seems like everything is changing all the time and once someone gets too powerful for one class they get nerfed out and then another class comes along and causes the same thing. It is my opinion and nothing else, no disrespect to anyone but i had to say what was on my mind, either you agree or don't but my two cents has been said

0 0 0
gomerstyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

also one last thing faelon i have had my character at levle 50 for a very long time and have adjusted to the changes that come along, i just wish there weren't assholes who come around defacing everyone and being complete assholes, not to mention most of the level 50's who do anything delete soon after so for all the lives my character has died and still stuck it out watching all these people rage delete and bitch and moan about one thing. You do have points but you took my post completely out of context and just made it easier for me to leave this place once and for all.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Sure, AR was better 10 years ago. But AR is a better game right now than it ever was. AR was better 10 years ago because I was a kid just discovering games and RP and the rush of PK. It was better because everything was mysterious and the world felt so huge -- even though it's way bigger now. Now I know as much about AR as just about anyone, and the mystery is definitely gone. I too wish we could have a who list with 100 names on it. But the fact is that our low playerbase isn't a consequence of bad changes, but really it's way higher than it would have been without all the hard work Davairus and his team have put in all these years.

Would I go back to how I felt about AR 10 years ago? For sure. But if I could have the 2015 game back in 2005 with the 2005 playerbase, I'd take that in an instant.

0 0 0
gomerstyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject:

like i said the changes aren't what bother me the most, and i agree with you kato in a lot of ways, i am more just tired of trying to help so much with my character and getting shit talked to and ganged for no reason other then i am who i am. I know it's not the old players who do this because we all have way too much respect for one another and even have fun when battling each other. I dunno maybe it's just time for me to leave and be done with it but it's not easy as i have had so much fun with ar. I agree the playerbase is important and i have tried my damndest to make it fun for anyone new, and i also tried my damndest to make the knights what they should be so i guess it's all my failures that are pushing me to leave seeing as i am the leader of the mystics and it is my job to help everyone i can, but hard to be a mystic when it seems everyone makes characters just to take you out and that has been the feeling of late.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I will not be considering any opinions that are not backed up with unsound reasoning, in fact I will ignore them 100% as if those never happened, and I will refer you to this post if you bring it up. But, feel free to go back and edit.

For instance: Gomerstyle, 10 years ago, things were exactly the same as they are now. Valour is actually 10 years old at this point. You might want to do a rain check on that statement. If you want to put 20 years ago, we could debate the point. But not 10. Also, you've actually deleted and say youre gonna leave completely over a DEBATE. Thats called taking your ball and going home. That tells me you are not actually interested in the well-being of this community.

For anyone else, please see this result: http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10227
If you think the game should go back to how it was 20 years ago, go fuck yourselves, this forum has existed for the purpose of a scientific analytical discussion and improvement of the game for the last 20 years as well, in fact, it is the ONLY reason why we have it

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm just calling it like I see it. Some aspects of the game are very fundamental, and people will quit if you change them too much.

I'd very much like to see which of Esivole's "arbitrary dk changes" he doesn't like, so I can get that fixed. DK and Paladin balance is one of the big things we know will make people quit the game.

Lag (bash/trip/bodyslam) is one of these things. Change it too much and people will quit. Cabals are, too. When Warlords were disabled we lost a good chunk of our playerbase. Same with Justice special guards.

All I'm saying is Recall is one of those things. If recall mechanics are changed, people will stop playing. I'll be one of those people. I'm not going to go away, I'm not going to stop being an imm or checking in changes or running Legion, but I simply won't roll a mort anymore if the Recall mechanic is changed in any meaningful way intended to nerf it. It's not like I have a ton of morts or anything, it's not a huge loss for the game. But it's the honest truth.

I think Gomer is overreacting a little by deleting his characters and I think it hurts the argument overall. But, I'm also disappointed in everyone who didn't think proposing something like this came with the risk of that happening attached.

0 0 0
gomerstyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Dav and Nyc are right i did overreact a little but at the same time i have had so much crap happening and so many people talking trash to me about how i play that a person can only put up with so much and this was the one that pushed me over my edge, as i stated in torabth's gy i will mothball goron for a while and come back and see if i can regain that feeling i once got from playing. I didn't mean to start a war or be looked at like i need attention for this, merely stating my feelings and opinion from what i have seen. If people don't like my opinion or feelings about something oh well, is this not a place that someone can put forward their opinions or feelings on something?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: