Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 18 hours.

Updating all this old forum shit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
z3r000s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Updating all this old forum shit

I played a lot back when I was 10, 11, 12. Now that I've come back I might as well be a newb. So much has changed and I go through newbie Q/As, battefield posts and I pretty much end up with shit info, therefore I might as well not even. I would like to see some updates on things. As far as PvE goes, I'm prettty good. PK, you might as well shove a shotgun up my ass and pull the FN trigger. This game, to me, is only geared for those in the KNOW. Trying to actually learn much about this game is freaking ridiculous. It isn't that I don't ask(in-game) , it isn't that I don't research, it isn't that I don't explore. So, where is the issue at? I'm doing what I can, picked up what I can, but it still seems lacking. This has been one of my favorite gaming experiencs for a long time and I'm honestly considering -1playerbase, which is exactly what AR needs. Another daily player gone....geez.

P.S. and the response my brain automatically expects to receive is fuck off. Which is fine. I will. but shit, I would like to see AR actually live...not even thrive...i hate logging in and being able to know when there is going to be 0 people on. really limits the experience. If there was a better way to transition newcomers into being KNOWLEDGEABLE the playerbase would jump drastically imho. I do not want to see anything get easier, I want to struggle to get better, it is part of the fun, but having no fucking clue what to do next but either rage delete or log off and just say fuck it sucks.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject:

Sorry, could you clarify - what's your specific suggestion on where we can improve? What areas of knowledge are particularly confusing?

I am all for supporting the player experience but I am not sure what to be tackling here.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject:

you need seat time to pk. It's all about gearing up and then catching people with their pants down. The only way to get better is to fight more people.

Back in the day you used to be able to do this via low level pk, and gradually work your way up to level 50. It's harder to do now because the pbase is significanatly lower, but there are a bunch of people around level 20-25 right now. You should roll something up and start training it and try to kill everyone in your pk range for awhile.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject:

Just for the record, I couldn't agree more with the OP. We have gotten away from being a newbie friendly mud. This game is not newbie friendly. We've made some very poor design decisions.

0 0 0
z3r000s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject:

I will say I make it a high priority that my character bugs any lowbies i see log in. They may be experienced, they may not be, I just make sure and set aside time for them. It is not odd for me to quaff me some drink mes and go piddle with some 10s or 20s, even before pinnacle. My knowledge is not slim by any means, it is just limited to about ~35 or so, feel me? As for the pk at 20 deal, I will definitely go get creamed so rage delete becomes 3rd or 4th on the list (haha, very good advice, tho, ty) I'm just completely at a loss of what to do passed...30-38. My knowledge of where to go and what to do is lacking extremely. This is partially due to still needing to get out and explore, I will admit that definitely plays a factor. and as far as all the nice rares...you got me on the only stump in the forest

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject:

I know that Nyhlis does talk to low level players because he did talk to me and rank with me.

Other than that, as a returning player, the game is so much easier to get back than before in these few categories.

1. Items: Codex! Codex is so cool! It has almost the ENTIRE item list inside it including where and who holds it.

2. The battlefield has some great info, although definitely not enough for you to survive in high level PKing.

So far I only know of two areas where I had a hard time getting information about. One is about portals. There used to be an alignment list on invokation in the past. Now I have to explore every area and make my own list. I am lazy, so I do not use the portals other than a few limited locations.

The other is about planting which I had no clue it existed until I saw level 50s eating black herbs. However all these are not really game changing lack of knowledge....

To answer your questions, past 35, if you are evil, you rank at solace shopkeepers, then mudfall ( The old shire). This existed from decades ago, just some name changes, so nothing really to pick up there.

For good aligned, I have no idea because I havent played a good aligned since returning, but I know of the big 5 at Drkshyre woods.

If you want to gear up your character in some ways, look up the codex, find out where it is, get a group and go get it.

By the way, if you are looking for the Herald to answer your questions on PK for example how does a warrior fight a berserker or something to that extent, not all Heralds have the skillset. General questions can usually be answered if you browse the website and forums. I learned a great deal just looking through 2 years of forum posts.

0 0 0
z3r000s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject:

I will retract most of the OP harshness towards battlefield. It does give great insight as to what is currently going on with x skill and x class. I get to see which skills were bugged (art of condor) etc. that is great. As for the codex, you still have to actually look up the item, correct? Which still entails more exploring for me (no complaint, this is good) Honestly, I think my main issues come from playerbase. The codex is great (IF I know what I'm looking for. Most of the high level items I have never even laid eyes on) I like the limited broad AR map (rather not have any detailed, my personal preference. I just want to know how to get there, I'll do the exploring, GLADLY) How can we sink teeth into newcomers I guess is my main goal. There are things on the site that need updating, and mainly it is the newb stuff. And dav I don't feel like the changes are poor, we just need a way to gently direct newcomers. the whole mystique of the game is the RP enforced to me. PLus pk always, gotta love it. only MUD i play. but it makes it uber hard for me to be like, this is my ac #, hit/dam, etc. can you help kinda guide me more experienced player. I do come across a lot of people giving items to people they think it will help (Which is excellent) and from there you can lore an items origins.

I could drone, and I have, but my main concern is playerbase...it is the only thing that really makes AR suffer...I do not understand why (is it the RP enforced? I know we're nerds but c'mon NO NEW GAME OFFERS THIS IMMERSION)

I will add my mind is tired and this shit is bungled but I have faith in you all
AAAnd thank you for all the input. I am taking it all into consideration

@Merlandox No...I bug Vanisse and Blyx about bards with my bard...heheh
What is good tactic for me fighting (X) fits better

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject:

Ok, the Codex is really good. Like really. You want to know what items to use? Very simple. If I want hitroll, I just need to filter HITROLL items on the specific armor place and the whole list of hitroll items appear. You look through until you see an item. OH, THIS ITEMS GIVES +4 HIT, great! I want it! Then you see who holds it. Emperor Zaikkra. Then probably you will go, oh shit, next item. So yes, the CODEX does give you a great idea of where you can go to get items.

As for AC, hit/dam etc, if you do read the posts in the forum, there were players who had already questioned it and Dav had given a really detailed explanation on how the these stuff works. I don't think it is fair for Dav to re-explain it to every single person questioning it when all they need to do is look back the archive and read his old post. (It could be difficult to find because these info is not archived properly, but it is just some hardwork...) Nobody's going to tell you 30hitroll is enough or 40 hitroll is enough. You got to determine what you like yourself.

Just an idea though, could we turn on NEWBIE chat for everyone and make it able to be disabled by people individually? I would like to answer questions that the new players have, but in this current context with RP constraints, no new player is going to talk to a level 50 and ask him about questions and there may not be Herald or Mystics around all the time to answer newbie questions. Neither am I going to private message every single level 1 and ask them do you have questions...

0 0 0
z3r000s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject:

aaah shiz. you can damn near blow my post out the water since i have codex knowledge...tysir. Do i read the post...damn...
And yes, of course how you spec your toon is preference. What I was getting at was guidance, like hey being an (X class) you may want to beef up a,b,c a bit...u getmydrift
Dig the newbie toggle idea (thumbs up)

and the 3 main places i've been checking for info is battlefield, newb a/d and game guides. (Experienced players write some more game guides, they are killer and do need some updates...which that is a lot of work to not get money for, I know, but my toon will bring you cigars, booze and mushrooms all day. I will def throw in one when I have the knowledge to do so)

So far the feedback I have gotten has been extremely helpful, ty ladies and gents

Last edited by z3r000s on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject:

Well, if you are asking for specific knowledge on each class, it is going to be difficult because everyone has mixed view. You just got to try it out and see which works for yourself.

For example I have read about people stacking hit/dam on invokers and I have seen people saying it is really strong. Personally, I think it is so bad, but if it works for you, why not? So how are you going to get the "correct answers" for yourself other than by trying it?

So my answer to your question. You have the knowledge of how to get those eq, just got to try it out.

If you are asking for what the top players preference are, you can just create a post on battlefield and they will probably answer it. (expect many differing views though) Or you can PM some level 50 in game and ask him about it. Newbie chat would be good for this though.

0 0 0
z3r000s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject:

whenever I come to a player and consult them about their style, I expect to get just that, but there is something they are doing right for them to get where they are. My styles are always amalgam, no matter what subject I approach. And i've seen it, the invoker hit/dam vs ac/hp. My limited poinion would be ac/hp because I'm thinking lifeblood+mten, but that is me and my upto20 view on the class, so I get exactly where you are coming from merlandox. I appreciate all your input. You've got to find a model to mock before you can really create one, at least that is how I seem to roll. What works for these people, then once I have a deeper understanding, I mesh them and create my own style.

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject:

Sure, I have models in mind for almost every single class. You can PM me if you want my views. Or you can just put out at battlefield and wait for people to comment on it. I dont usually give my views on forum because the rare few times I do it, I get Boo tagged, so shrug, I leave it to the better players to give their comments.

0 0 0
z3r000s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

i PMd u and vanisse, Merlan...is this just using email instead a board inbox?

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

AR inbox will do i guess? I replied you.

I think a notification to access your inbox will appear in your email. I cannot find the link for the inbox in the main page so.. yeah.

0 0 0
z3r000s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:

apparently I is tard cannot find inbox...fmlwtf

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject:

try this link

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/privmsg.php?folder=inbox

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

When a game is as complex as AR keeping up with help files and releasing clear, formatted and consolidated update/patch notes is a must. otherwise you're stuck in this situation with a sea of information floating around in the ether, never to be useful to newbies.

I think another big newbie killer is a lack of in game community. most games you join a guild etc. and it is at least in part a player org. so there's players ready and willing to help their new members. Players log in and they see a shout/gossip channel at least a little active, and are able to ask questions they might have or overhear info they wouldn't otherwise find out(BIG ONE). unfortunately when you log into the game as a newbie, save for the newbie channel you're pretty much by yourself and in silence, def not picking up on things not readily available in help files.

I still don't know if store bought pets hurt exp in groups of two or more as the help file states since it has been changed a bunch (for example). There's so much info and I know you guys are def updating helpfiles as you can but situations like the op posted are really going to take a much more proactive approach to resolve rather than waiting for people to report missing or inaccurate help files. Vets don't need the info. and newbies don't know it is missing so few point out the info is missing/misleading.

When I started here the search feature on the forums was my best friend. Some years in I remember dav laying into korven I think? elf/invoker for going hp. So I went hit/dam with my first invoker and had top invokers ever since keeping that in mind. Unfortunately getting better at PK here is not just a matter of using your brain or reading logs or even practice, you really have to dive in listen to suggestions (from knowledgeable people) and try and fail.

Often times the obvious answers that look good on paper i.e. use overhead staff on a raged berserker as a warrior at even hp and training should win for the warrior but no lag rage, bodyslam, and 400 dmg per round trump that. So apparently fleeing/murdering is a better idea as dav suggested. Haven't tried it but point is, there are many layers to combat in here and not all of them are obvious or indicated via help files.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

"NEWBIE chat for everyone"
- This exists already via the mentor opt-in option, which you can choose to do at creation or add to your character by typing "mentor". (Currently, players who have chosen "Yes" response to "Are you new to the Abandoned Realms?" at creation lose the <NEW> flag and access to newbie chat at level 30. That limitation should probably be removed.)

"make [newbie chat] able to be disabled by people individually"
- Any global channel is already toggleable (e.g. gossip, cabalchat, newbiechat). Simply type the channel without saying anything. And yes, the fact that you don't know this already means we haven't conveyed it successfully.

"When a game is as complex as AR keeping up with help files and releasing clear, formatted and consolidated update/patch notes is a must. otherwise you're stuck in this situation with a sea of information floating around in the ether, never to be useful to newbies... There's so much info and I know you guys are def updating helpfiles as you can but situations like the op posted are really going to take a much more proactive approach to resolve"
- YES this. We definitely need to improve information transfer here. We have a few dedicated imms (e.g. Ceridwel) who tackle helpfile bugs as a top priority. However, the speed at which new updates is unrolled has been exceedingly high over the past few years. It's great to see these projects being developed and clearly there is a lot of thought put into the changes which is meant to improve the game experience. Unfortunately, it is often implemented without helpfiles or even being explained to the rest of the imms unless they are present at the time and ask for more information, or are participating in the testing process. I took a break a few years ago and when I came back I had no clue about all the changes that had happened, and then people started asking me how various things worked. Awkward! If helpfiles aren't already created at the time of implementation, we would definitely benefit from a specific list of update/patch fixes during every update/change release, which is sent to immortal using change or other permanent-formatted note (not note... it gets lost way too quickly). Then the rest of the imms can work to ensure helpfiles are updated as appropriate or write accurate, new helpfiles with the desired rp-flavor. This way we will improve the quality of our helpfile system. Furthermore, these patch notes will also help to quickly reintegrate imms [edit: and players!] who have been absent from AR for extended periods of time, and possibly retain them rather than push them away by the overwhelming "I have NO idea what is going on anymore and feel completely useless now" feeling when they come back to visit.
(I suggest imm-note here in case it's easier for the coders/implementors to jot down completely ooc notes of what they did rather than summarize their work in rp-aligned language. But, if they're not ooc this can just go out to everybody on a change note.)

"I think another big newbie killer is a lack of in game community. most games you join a guild etc. and it is at least in part a player org. so there's players ready and willing to help their new members."
- Our cabals and coteries do serve this function. It's suffering here because of the low playerbase which lowers the probability of logging on at the same time as your cabalmates. There is not much imms can do about that. Maybe cabals/coteries could ask all members when they are typically around and make an effort to have a weekly/biweekly meeting to get together or something?

"Players log in and they see a shout/gossip channel at least a little active, and are able to ask questions they might have or overhear info they wouldn't otherwise find out(BIG ONE). unfortunately when you log into the game as a newbie, save for the newbie channel you're pretty much by yourself and in silence"
- I do think we could do with a 100% global access RP channel, which everyone can hear but only can use after level 2 (like yell, designed to prevent spammers, tbh these days probably unlikely but whatever), and as above, toggleable. I would suggest removing tavern/coterie restrictions on gossip. Currently, we hardly get enough people in coteries who care to use gossip anymore, and coteriechat has largely replaced the gossip function for heralds. Imms and heralds (or anyone with mentor flag? not sure) could then police the gossip channel for people who are saying inappropriate things and bounce (silence) them from gossip for x hours.

OP - Regarding getting PK experience, as far more experienced PKers above have said, it's about taking the info from helpfiles and using them actively. Practice practice. Ask people for duels (not just in the arena but everywhere). Make a crazed assassin character and murder people wantonly. As for "what to do after level 30-38" keep exploring! And make friends with 40s-50s and people in cabals. They'll show you what to do Smile

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject:

updated help communication to convey toggleable communication channels

0 0 0
ottif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Nice Vanisse. I think all changes should hold until a helpfile is ready. I'd say a helpfile and a simple to find/read explanation of the changes are actually more important than the changes themselves especially for new players. I'd say all the updates dav is giving to players bit by bit could be in the private imm forums, then maybe an imm can put it into a nice easy to understand update post. Or maybe wait for a bunch of changes and release them all at once in the same way.

edit
I think also another good idea might be tasking someone with cleaning up the update forums. It really does not need to be a bunch of discussion between players. Maybe consolidate strings, or delete and rewrite them as one informative post. What average newbie is searching three pages for bits of info on shadows.

Last edited by ottif on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: