Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 9 hours.

Combat Module A: Bows and arrows.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Combat Module A: Bows and arrows.

By far the most radical weapon class on AR, bows use a completely different system of how they interact with player defenses. Beginning with the help file:

Quote:
'BOW' 'BOWS'
Special: requires arrows as ammo to attack.
Special: arrows cannot be dodged.
Special: arrows cannot be parried by one-handed weapons or bows.
Special: arrows have increased chance of being parried and shield blocked.
Special: arrows can be parried without weapon proficiency penalties.
Special: cannot parry while wielding bow.

Rather than immediately opening with theory on this one, I’ll instead give you an opportunity to piece together why we went through so much trouble putting in all these unique conditions in place for bows. You may want to read through the entire ‘help bows’ helpfile for more insight. I’d like to hear your input first before explaining the concept behind this weapon class.

0 0 0
Nuonorp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Wow! My two cents...

Well, first thing I did after getting on AR today was to go kill a ranger, and I noticed a few things. From a technical point of view, the help quiver feature has not yet been implemented. From a gamer's point of view, this REALLY kills those people who dual wield: I found a mob with a bow, and he absolutely slaughtered my character. You can now find me cowering behind the largest shield I can find.

0 0 0
Bucky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Help quiver?

help file missing?

0 0 0
Bucky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: also

Your bow bash injures a blah

Shouldnt that be, Your bow's bash?

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:

As for the 'bow bash' vs. "bow's bash", I hope that you'd be the one doing the bashing (with the bow) rather than the bow doing the bashing on its own, hence 'bow bash'.

-edit
Yup, bows are two handed. As if anyone expected otherwise...

0 0 0
Angelic Mortal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject:

From my point of view, bow is completely ownage even when they are wearing a shield it still lands quite alot. Decent damage even from an ashen longbow + arrows from the weapon store.

You can parry and dodge with it, which makes it all that more powerful especially when your dealing several attacks a round of masscre without sanc. Can't wait to find more elite bows.

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject:

See if you can find a thief or a ninja to shoot a bow at. My guess is (assuming practiced skills) that the bow won't seem nearly as good as it does vs those with crappy defenses, a la untrained, pre-35 warriors.

However, this does seem to suggest that, yet again, training to 90-95% is going to be mandatory. :)

Last edited by Brains on Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Mulan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Sounds interesting. What classes can use bows? All of them?

0 0 0
Hilemal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Uses for bows, anyone found anything interesting? I've only had a chance to play around with one as a thief, and they do good damage (same as above, ashen + weapon store arrows). Due to the loss of parry (and now also counterbalance, which by the way, is awesome as a defensive skill), I can only see myself using it to try and finish off a weakened foe when I'm still feeling pretty healthy.

That's all I've noticed thus far. I'll keep playing with it and see what else I can find.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject:

Still waiting for someone to hit the jackpot in saying what bows are designed for. Eldorian and I have a bet: he thinks you guys won't figure it out, and I think you guys will. Don't prove me wrong now.

0 0 0
Nuonorp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject:

Mulan wrote:
Sounds interesting. What classes can use bows? All of them?

No, I've not run the gauntlet, but I know for sure that healers cannot use bows, and that warriors, rangers, and definitely a few other fighter classes (and I want to say thieves) can use bows. However, and this is taking a shot at Burzuk's jackpot "bow-pwnage" is that I can't think of a single lvling mob that has a two-handed weapon or a shield. And since bows can't be dodged or parried by 1-handed weapons, wouldn't that make bows the best weapons for non-tanks? Rolling Eyes

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject:

To my knowledge, bards and paladins can't use them, I don't think. I'm on crappy AOL so all I have right now is a paladin... And telnet... ::shudder::. I am not quite sure what bows would be purposeful except for ranking or destroying the dual wielding warrior of DOOM! Hail to the healers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject:

So what classes do get bows?

Please excuse my retardation as I just notice this question was just posted 2 posts ago.

Last edited by divsky on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject:

Btw, as to what Burzuk said, I think common sense applies and bows are designed mainly for someone fighting at a distance.. i.e. not doing the tanking. Think about it, it's an awesome offensive weapon but an extremely poor defensive weapon.

Elf rangers can flee, let their pets tank, and whip out some mad pwnage from the back row.

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject:

Burzuk wrote:
Still waiting for someone to hit the jackpot in saying what bows are designed for. Eldorian and I have a bet: he thinks you guys won't figure it out, and I think you guys will. Don't prove me wrong now.

Ooo! Ooo! I wanna guess.

I've read through the help files several times, and there is an emphasis on ranged combat vs. non ranged combat. So even though I haven't used a bow yet, I'm going to throw this out: Attacking someone who is in a different room?

Big money big money now whammy no whammy!

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject:

I can't remember how many time's I've suggested that idea just to be told by dav himself that theres no way it'll ever happen, it just upsets too many balance issues.

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Re:

One problem with that... Rooms are diffrent lenghts. Notice how you loose diffrent amounts of movement in diffrent rooms? This is effected by the terrain and distance (I think, possibly level too). Oh and try mapping Seringale, you notice how some rooms "should" overlap. It could work, I think. But too much work, maybe there should be a spell where you can see into another room and cast a spell at a target. Nah that would be too mean.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject:

The fact that people wielding bows do more damage with point blank (i.e. while tanking) than without pretty much shoots down the "ranged attack" theory.

Still waiting...

0 0 0
Dalero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your reasoning behind setting up bow combat like this is two fold. 1. Its unique as hell from all other sorts of 'ranged combat' that I've seen or looked at on other muds, so go unique factor.

2. It's a way to bring interest to underplayed class combos *cough Tinth anybody?*

3. The specific conditions set behind bows got some nice bonuses and setbacks, first off, it bypasses a major defense on certain races, e.g. halflings, drow, anybody with high dex. It's another way to exploit racial weaknesses, provided they can use the arrows. *damn stormfury arrows for being anti evil*

4. Well, I lied about two reasons, but hey, it's another way to promote using different weapon styles, i.e. sword and board, or 2 handed staffs/polearms, etc.

Them's my guesses

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject:

Bows are strictly so someone can now make a human ranger, call him robin hood, and blast people with arrows.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: