Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 4 hours.

Defenses? Broken?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject:

Waaah... Now everyone has to work to train, and you can't script, and you have to rank, and waaaaah! I think this is an excellent change that levels it a bit further. Like Res said, now you can't script or afk your char and train while watching T.V., you have to be active. It requires EFFORT now. It requires blood, sweat, tears and toil. Main thing is, now the uber-trainers are no longer top of the mountain, so they'll bitch and whine because they had there silk pedstal yoinked out from under their spoilt asses. Boo-frickity-hoo. It's an actual game of skill and not just how good are you at training now kiddos. Get your new bats out, the ball has changed. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Your mage has only one defence anyway, and on top of that, just a few weapons, and low hp. They've always had a tough time melee-wise - they're "offensive" classes, with little "defensive" skills. Just look at illusionists, with their duplicates and gate spells to slip away from fights. Or necros with their mobs able to do the tanking for them. 100 parry is not a cure for that weakness.

Uh necro charmies dont tank vs pc's anymore. When you flee, they flee. Boy, ills and necros got their 90%ish kill ratio on warrior classes nerfed. Mwahahaha

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject:

o all rescue necro

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject:

Hah. Easier said than done. Any wariror that isnt completely new knows to spam dirt to begin combat! And lots have triggers to reaim when someone rescues!

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Re:

Whoah!! Why the change to defenses? I wondered why I wasn't parrying anything and I was only seeing "misses"...

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject:

At least no more problems with duplicates getting stuck at cabal guardians.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject:

The problem is obviously just dirt kickers, you can still rescue to tank shamans, paladins, etc. And no, everybody doesnt have rescue triggers. Its more like everyone spams, and ends up wrathing your zombies and stupid shit. So stop trying to make it sound like rescue is useless. Its not.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject:

Never have I thought rescue was useless. Just not as effective against dirt kickers as everything else is. 2 round lag is big lag when you are being smashed in the face with a shaman mace that flees and returns to smash you some more when you rescue!

That made no sense.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject:

Flee/return = eat a fresh acid blast and full autoassist from zombies, again.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject:

After I stop to collect the zombies that fled in random directions *cough*

I dont know why I am arguing, I agree with you. I agree with the fleeing charmie change, it was long overdue. Forces necromancers and illusionists to actually try and fight in certain places and not anywhere the pk is.

0 0 0
Tsaphiel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject:

I've given it a lot of thought over the day, and I've decided I like the new defense system (yes, once again, I realize my opinion doesn't matter, but I'm giving it anyway). My only problem is, I don't know what to do now. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I'm quite lost. I haven't been MUD'ing for long, and it was only recently that I caught on to the concept of training... So now I, along with the rest of the players here, have to re-learn how to play this game. I know I'm supposed to hunt and rank and such, but I don't know how to train my skills to protect myself. (I'm a runner, not a PKer Sweat )

So... I guess any advice or direction would be much appreciated.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject:

Notice how the 'misses' comes from the LOW mobs used to train on. Perhaps you should try training on something that is equal level to you.

0 0 0
Simpleton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Defenses

Lets be realistic here. Some changes will have to be made to learn defenses much faster. I have a level 26 dwarf berserker, that has been the primary tank in every group and has gained only 3-4% on each parry and shield block. I have not been grouped most of time and been killing things alone. With my weakened defenses, I have noticed that the older (trained before the changes) players definately have an advantage and I take on a bunch of damage. One thing that I have not trained is dodge, which is hurting me probably the most. If I can't train parry or shield block, then how in the heck will I ever train dual parry? The changes will probably be better in the long run. However, would it be possible to make the learning a bit faster for the time being? It always seems to be best to make small moves in a direction instead of giant leaps!

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Or you could just be logical about this and say screw training like the smart people did ages ago. I suspect that for the vast majority of skills, on a macroscopic scale, 85% and 100% amount to the same result. In my experience, it's rare to have the winner of a 1v1 fight at less than 10% hp, so who cares if you might have done a few extra points of damage or blocked an extra shot or two. Without any intimate knowledge of the code, I intuitively feel that improving your equipment and honing your tactics will serve you better than spending the same time spam-training.

0 0 0
Simpleton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: That would be nice

I wish it were that easy. I seek warlord so I must be fully trained.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject:

According to the warlord helpfile you need to master 2 weapons and hand to hand, and that's it.

It never said anything about defenses.

0 0 0
Simpleton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject:

True Divsky, but it always helps to be as skilled as possible in battle. Esp. when all warlords can rely on are their skills.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I think a warlord has to rely on their skill more than their skills.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Simpleton wrote:
True Divsky, but it always helps to be as skilled as possible in battle. Esp. when all warlords can rely on are their skills.

I think people need to concentrate on improving their playing skills rather than their characters skills.

0 0 0
Taleroth
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject:

Guess you can hardly get people doing this

You: Care to form a group for some hunts?

Blah: No, I am training.

You: *grumble* Ok...

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: