Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 1 hour.

Rangers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Rangers

Is it me or are rangers slighly gimped?
I know, they deal the most damage a round, blah blah blah....
However even with their powerful throw, their enemies still flee and get away. Unless of course you are a perfect tracker and never mess up on anything on the game at all.
hmm, and is it true rangers can't use pets in warlords? if not than ranger warlords are Really gimped.

0 0 0
Malrakh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject:

No, they're not. Every class has a weakness...keeping Players in combat may be one of theirs.

As for a warloard ranger not being able to use pets, from a power-gamer point of view, maybe you may think that's gimped. Though from a RPer's point of view, it could be very fun.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject:

No offense, but even though you have to RP decently as a warlord, there record is there for a reason. You don't see 1-0 North Square Rp session, no you see 1-0 blah blah blah ( level 50 ) stuff.
Yes i admit this is a weakness and that all things have there weaknesses. However, some weaknesses are greater that others, like a Fire giants weakness is greater than a Storm giants weakness. Fire giants will get hurt emmensly by ice, while Storm just can't wear wood (yes i know this can hurt in some areas, but i personally would rather have a thing I can't wear than massive amounts of damage dealt to me.

0 0 0
Malrakh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject:

Yes, but think of how much sweeter that record would be if people knew you didn't even use your pets.

0 0 0
Nuonorp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject:

I think the ranger class is very well-rounded. They may not be the best PKers without lagging skills, but a prepared ranger can't be taken lightly, either. And they can deal out the pain really quickly. As for the Warlord thing, a ranger Warlord is not allowed to duel using his/her pets. It'd provide an "unfair" advantage from the point of view of warlords, though I imagine it might be possible if you wanted to fight a 2v1 or something. Well-bred Warlords are strong enough without mobs, they don't need a grizzly bear, a panther, and a color-changing dragon to dish out the damage and hurt. I like rangers, and I think that they're a fun class for beginners and experts alike, although I'm not sure about all these new elven rangers....they could get hurt. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Dante

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject:

Rangers are serously gimped in the fact if they want to be a warlord, because they cant use pets, there two spells, and herb. There isnt a really good ranger class now with enouph life to be effective without those besides if they had stone giants but sence they dont still more warriors im afriend cuase if you get a warrior that has a plus on polearm by favored weapon he double grips it and double enhanced damage to a two handed weapon unless you have a berserker that REALLY knows what he is doing he hasnt got a chance.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject:

Few points:
--Rangers in Warlord can use their herbs. Warlords just cant use herbs from non-Warlord rangers.
--Rangers, outside of Warlord, are in no way gimped. You think its hard tracking with a ranger, its even harder with a paladin or some other class that can neither lag nor blind.
--Ive been against the complete ban on pets in Warlords ever since I had my last ranger Warlord, which was a while ago and right when the ban was started. I think it would work fine to leave it up to the individual Warlord to decide if using pets would be too much of an advantage or not. For example, a Warlord ranger with pets and two flails/whips can eat an invoker without even trying, so not using pets against an invoker would be good. However, a ranger Warlord going against a warrior Warlord without pets would be at a serious disadvantage--herb and pathfinding and quiet movement are nice, but do not make up for lack of mace, berserk, fourth attack, polearm, lagging skills, etc. In that case, I think it would make sense to let both fighters use all their possible skills for an even fight.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Rezakhan wrote:
Few points:
--Rangers in Warlord can use their herbs. Warlords just cant use herbs from non-Warlord rangers.
--Rangers, outside of Warlord, are in no way gimped. You think its hard tracking with a ranger, its even harder with a paladin or some other class that can neither lag nor blind.
--Ive been against the complete ban on pets in Warlords ever since I had my last ranger Warlord, which was a while ago and right when the ban was started. I think it would work fine to leave it up to the individual Warlord to decide if using pets would be too much of an advantage or not. For example, a Warlord ranger with pets and two flails/whips can eat an invoker without even trying, so not using pets against an invoker would be good. However, a ranger Warlord going against a warrior Warlord without pets would be at a serious disadvantage--herb and pathfinding and quiet movement are nice, but do not make up for lack of mace, berserk, fourth attack, polearm, lagging skills, etc. In that case, I think it would make sense to let both fighters use all their possible skills for an even fight.

And the best throw lags for two rounds, I mean the BEST throw and that has to be on like someone smaller than Elf or Dwarf. Humans and bigger, throw is near pointless other than to get your shield sacrificed. "Dirt them then," you would say, but most classes a ranger fights to throw a shield or whatever at don't have blind fighting, and thus don't stay in battle long enough to get a throw off, and as a ranger most the time you're fighting a Human, Drow or Cousin, Giant, or Avian, Duergars and Dwarves aren't even that badly affected though it gets them a round longer. It lags you more than them. So in the means of lagging, a Ranger is seriously gimped as a Warlord. Now with the means of using pets, they are given pets for a reason, a balance reason. I understand forms and such give them an advantage, but no magic with a ranger HURTS, especially as a giant. This should be more incentive to use pets, I would make one at some point, but the pet thing is too much.

Also as he said earlier, there should be a pick and choose when to use pets, ...with the invoker for example, that makes sense. But against a more melee opponent, Rangers lack skills these melee opponents have and can exploit on a ranger easily without his pets, especially small rangers or non flying large rangers.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Rangers are fine. Sure, they suck as warlords, which is acceptable as ranger warlords should be rare anyways. But rangers are far from being weak.

Wilderness areas are every bit as common as cities, which give rangers stealth abilities equal to a thief, while still maintaining combat abilities which allow them to go toe-to-toe with a warrior. They have one of the strongest curative abilities in the game, herb, which is second only to a monk's healing. They also have a small army of charmies to supplement their power in battle. And the recent changes also make them stronger by giving them bows, which are probably the most effective weapon in the game due to their relative rarity in terms of characters profecient with them (only 3 classes), their ability to change damage types with a single weapon, and their ability to absoloutly dominate in certain battle situations. And they are also one of the only 2 classes who supplement their bow use with the point blank skill. Top this off with a handful of miscellaneous skills (call lightning, campfire, butcher, throw) that make the ranger an easier class to play and slightly more diverse in their abilities.

All off this for the trade off of.. an extra attack, bash and trip?

No, rangers are far from being a weak class.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject:

Well...then again...I'm forgetting lash Twisted Evil .....so ...hmm that may affect the use of pets. Well..a pick and choose battle basically for pets.

0 0 0
Nuonorp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: In Response to divsky

divsky wrote:
And the recent changes also make them stronger by giving them bows, which are probably the most effective weapon in the game due to their relative rarity in terms of characters profecient with them (only 3 classes)

I thought that bows could be effectively parried even by classes without the bow proficiency? Is that right, or did I read the files incorrectly...?

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject:

Your bow % doesn't determine the parry rate. Otherwise they would be even more powerhouse than they already are.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject:

What about with 2 handed weapons that can parry arrows?

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Also protective shield. I think Divsky's points about rangers are very valid. Especially in an extended fight, a ranger is very powerful.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: