Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 15 hours.

PK range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: PK range

How come someone who is 8 ranks higher than another be in his PK range? I thought this was all about brains over brawn. No matter what kind of brains the person who is 8 ranks lower has, it won't even matter (MOST of the time).

0 0 0
etso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: pk range

Actually it was 6 ranks jamus, and its because of your class/race. A human say warrior at level 50, will have every elf paladin, giant berserker, or drow dk in his pk at level 42, if you dont like it, than make a character that has a low exp penalty.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject:

You think that is bad, try dying a few times and high rank and leveling out of it. The pk system is based on the experience you have earned, so if you have been in a hole alot as a charecter with a exp penalty, the high levels really suck.

Human warriors are good for people new to realms. Rolling Eyes

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject:

I just don't think that that's... uh, fair. Why is it based on exp, instead of levels?

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Just be human Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject:

Not like humans are weak either.. They are a great value at 0 exp cost. Solid stats, no vulnerabilities, nice pk range.

0 0 0
Zireph

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject:

So we have our sections of characters in oh...Three categories.

1) slith-drows. Top dogs on racial xp penalty. Also top dogs on stats/abilities.
Ninja-paladin. These guys can kick ass with having a six rank difference, and would waste the shit out of anything that had 2 or more levels below them.

2) Gnome-halfling. Middle guys. Ok stats/racial combos.
Ranger and Berserker. Can handle some heat, they dont require things that are level based, but still lean on them quite a bit.

3) Human. No vulns, but nothing else either. Decent stats, but could be better.
Warrior-Shaman. Hard ranking/not exceptional skills/or it would just kill them to have to fight someone with anything close to serious ranks on them.

Ok, now that we have our catergories for both race and class, lets see what happens.

I am going to assume you know enough about the game that these are fairly clear in and of themselves.

All - are based off of the player creation system in the mud.

Any questions, post.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Don't exp penalties where they are just seem kind of... off? I mean, god class shamans at 0 exp? Stuff with higher penalities that no one plays like monks? Etc? I know its not always about power, but still..

I just think we would see much more diversity and better pre-50 (and pre-50 versus 50) balance with something like (done quickly, don't nitpick too much)...

0 Thief
0 Illusionist
0 Invoker
0 Necromancer
100 Warrior
125 Berserker
150 Monk
150 Healer
200 Ranger
250 Ninja
250 Dark Knight
250 Bard
275 Paladin
300 Shaman
??? Psionicist Sad
??? Druid
??? Vampire

100 Human
125 Gnome
200 Werebeast
200 Half Elf
200 Avian
300 Illithid
300 Duergar
325 Dwarf
350 Fire Giant
350 Halfling
375 Storm Giant
375 Stone Giant
400 Slith
425 Minotaur
425 Elf
425 Dark Elf

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Grayden wrote:
You think that is bad, try dying a few times and high rank and leveling out of it. The pk system is based on the experience you have earned, so if you have been in a hole alot as a charecter with a exp penalty, the high levels really suck.

Human warriors are good for people new to realms. Rolling Eyes

The pk system is not based on the experience you have earned. It is based on your level and your characters exp penalty. From 'help pk range':

Code:

Pk range is determined by level and exp cost.  As, your level increases,
so does your pk range.  The range is shifted up or down depending on your
character cost compared to others.  For example, a human warrior with base
exp cost is less likely to be in the pk of a higher level as opposed to a
storm giant paladin.  There is also a 8 level limit on the range in extreme
cases, to prevent higher levels from unfairly slaughtering those who happen
to have characters who cost a lot of experience to level.  Expect to get
PK'ed, it happens, don't take it personally.  Just gather yourself back up
and learn from the experience.

Back in the day, a lot of people used to delete after a mob death because they thought it affected your pk range. It doesnt.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

I've thought that some exp costs are off for a long time (but not grievously so).

RP: We can expect a higher population of humans, bog-standard shamans warriors mages and thieves in this sort of setting, so the exp cost should be cheaper, to help make sure that happens, instead of everyone just being paladins and vampires, since people consider how easy a character is to level when they pick it.

PK: Some things work out much better than humans, e.g. minotaur berserker's rage-charge (500), drows auto-sneak (500), so high exp costs keep things more fair - they will have to deal with people that have levels on them but then they have a bit more power at 50. Obviously hybrid classes deserve an exp cost for their versality, again, its an issue of population, 500 exp puts people off the buff stuff.

When I actually look at exp costs, some of them turn out to be a bit retarded. For example elf paladin, biggest compounded exp combo in the game, and one of the most retarded race/class as well in my opinion with that gimp parry and con. But I dont think paladin xp needs to be lowered - or elf penalty for that matter, they're a great race with other classes. The issue is elf paladins. Then there's shamans being 0 xp.. I dont think they should be higher because thats a base class. The issue is theyre..buff. I dont think the problem there is with the chosen exp. Those classes have not recieved their changes via the modules yet so there's no point screwing with their exp costs before then.

Here are some exp costs I think its worth looking at:
- rangers
- berserkers
(because those classes have been officialy "fixed")
- race exp costs
(remember race legacies help pad specific high-cost combos e.g. elf ranger)

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject:

I'd like to point out a few things I noticed. Zireph, elf paladins suck. Crappy shield block, crappy hp regen. Without trance all that mana they have goes to waste.

Another thing, as far as classes to look at reduing the XP penalty of...bards? I mean, 300xp? Tied with ninja, monks, and DKs as second highest XP class. And they're neutral only, so right there they've got lower xp gains then most other classes. And they're generally non-aggressive. I mean, no one wants to see three dozen bards floating around, but 300 is out of the park to discourage people from making them on a whim.

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject:

Wow, I always thought that exp holes affected your pk range, and in all reallity, it should. It makes complete sence that your pk range should be based on the TOTAl amount of exp you have earned, exp=experience so the more exp you have, the more experience you have(figuratively speaking) so by having total exp earned affecting your pk range, you would be fighting people with the same amount of experience as you

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:

the reality is that even though you "die", you don't forget what you've learned other wise you'd be digressing levels.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:

The more experience you have, the higher your level in your guild is to reflect your worldly ways and increased knowledge. Get yourself killed and you have to work harder to prove you have learnt from your mistakes before raising to the next level within your guild.

It does make sence if you consider that your total experience is reflected in your level and your level does affect your pk range.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: