Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 16 hours.

Training change
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Training change

After a bit of reflection on the training model (fighting mobs improves your skills) I decided that I would like to make this a little bit more rewarding, especially in high levels. I'm looking for ways to earn your skills, preferably with you at the keyboard. The present model as you know it definitely facilitated that, being as it made sure the mobs around your level, and therefore you can't sodomize lowbie mobs to train your stuff up.

This was very effective on lowbie level training (which is what I was out to get) but its a bit rough on 50s because by that rank, mobs are really considerably tough, as they grow in power a lot faster than players. (Compare fighting a perimeter guard at level 25 with fighting a trolloc at 50, and see).

So the change I decided on is to relax this restriction, below a certain %. At level 50, you will be able to master skills on mobs 5 levels below you, without suffering the level penalty. If you are just fighting stone golems though, doesnt matter if youre 35 or 50, the most you will get up to with that big level difference is like 85%, which doesnt really take long enough to be worth botting.

So here's some examples of things you can do to train skills.

- sit at lowbie level and spend 250 hours fighting hobgoblins out of pk (which is still pretty peculiar)
- rank up to 40s-50 for the training boosts, then claw your way up the skill %'s, starting with easy shit like butlers (75% is fine on those) and moving onto tougher things as your skills get better
- rank up to 50 for the training boosts, then go to winter in surges and take advantage of all the mobs being high enough level to let you master, plus equipment to find on top

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject:

wtf

-edit-

What boost?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:

There are level-based boosts to training rates, starting after level 35, with an added kick at 50. Didnt know? I am pretty sure it was posted, might have been on the old forum though.

Use the consider command to find a mob to train on, if you get better than "no match for you", thats definitely something you can master on at 50, but if you get "easy kill" you'll want to keep in mind the rolling level caps, which is about 85% for stone golems, and thats all I want to say about it.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject:

How about making a school of training with an entry fee, or somthing around thoes lines, maybe a master teaching you at like 1k for every % advanced in the skill of your choice. Just an idea Rolling Eyes

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Well. I don't like your idea, but I'll think up some easier ways to train skills than bot mobs afk. I'd like to reward people for typing at the keyboard.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Never got why people would even want to script. Takes the fun out of..... OOH! Parry went up!..... And blind fighting!!... then again, I am easily excited. Either way, Grand idea.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject:

How about a place for sparing that you would learn at a faster rate but would keep you from death like the whole warlord thing?

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject:

Isn't training supposed to be hard? Like, you work so hard at it, and get so good at those skills.

Prob. is, I can't tell the difference between 75% rage, and 100%.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject:

<Disclaimer: the following post is written entirely in sarcasm.>

Quote:
I'd like to reward people for typing at the keyboard.

What about a place you can enter that's entirely safe from PKs, that starts you on a typing program to see how fast and accurately you can type? The faster you type (with the fewest mistakes) the more quickly your skills go up.

Code:
<300hp 10m 10mv>
A typing teacher says 'Type the following:'
The fast, fat fox ate taffy while jogging and juggling jugs.

<300hp 10m 10mv> say The fast, fat fox atet affy while jogging and juggling jug.
You say 'The fast, fat fox atet affy while jogging and juggling jug.'

<300hp 10m 10mv>
A typing teacher says 'NO!!!  It wasn't perfect!!!'
A typing teacher's reprimand ***DEMOLISHES*** you!
A typing teacher says 'Now start again!'

<200hp 10m 10mv>
A typing teacher says 'Type the following:'
My brother slowly climbed the stairs while dodging wombats.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Hey Sebryn I think you might be on to somthing Smile Should have logic puzzles to solve to raise skills that take int, and type test for skills that take accuacy of hand lol

0 0 0
Mental Patient-101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the typing test could improve hand to hand... Laughing

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I just don't want to make stuff which people can then easily bot for the rewards. That's why training rates are so gimp. Its irrelevant of whether you're afk or not, its just got to be clever enough to avoid being bottable. So when I say I'm open to ideas .. just make sure they fulfill this pre-requisite.

0 0 0
Kablamo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject:

I have a idea for this for training, maybe you could add a training arena to Seringale where the Battle arena used to be, or Timmeran since thats where the new arena is. You would pay 1k for 30-45 minutes of real time x your level. It would give you maybe 2x-2.5x skill training speed up, with more during a surge.

IE.
Level 10 player would pay 10k
Level 15 player would pay 15k
Level 50 player would pay 50k

You would pay some dude, and he would give you a key to one of the many rooms inside this training arena. The key would only open one door inside. It would be a no-drop item with a limted time on it before it would poof, so you could not just drop it for some other char or reuse it.

You would enter the room and could only leave if you said to the trainer, " I wish to quit training now" or "I wish to leave". When the time runs out the trainer inside the room would boot you out, and tell you to purchase another key if you wish to do more training.

The trainer would could ask you a array of random questions while you train, if you anwsered them correctly you could a get a little extra time, maybe a minute or so for every question. If you did not anwser any, he could say somthing like "I do not deam you worth to be in my presince", and boot you out. So you cannot just script train.

It might be alot to code, but if anybody has any idea's on how to improve it or make it simpler, your welcome to post.

0 0 0
Crale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Maybe instead of having in just an arena, you could just pay the guy in Seringale or wherever and it would allow you that 40 minutes anywhere in the game, and it just improves your skills faster, but you would be able to kill more monsters with a group as we all know. But who knows, maybe a controlled area is better.

0 0 0
Matthais

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject:

What about making max skill percentile at like
80% at lvl10 (like it is now)
85% at lvl15
90% at lvl30
100% at lvl35+
so that players are forced to rank to master skills because it isnt physically possible, no matter how many hours one puts in, to master skills until post 35.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I don't know... I ranked a dwarf to 35 hoping to make a Warlord and got a total of 3% across my defenses and only one 90% weapon. Weapons used to go up a lot faster didn't they? Do I just need to stick to elves and drow?

0 0 0
Kablamo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:

You sure about the 80% max % at level 10?

You are _______ the Combatant, level 10, 18 years old (21 hours).

[177/239 163m 154mv 11172tnl] no opponent / none [] prof self shield
Your proficiency at shield block is 85%.

maybe we could get a imm to clear this up?

0 0 0
Matthais

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject:

sorry, I its lvl 1-9where it stops at 80%, 10 is pk range so you can get to 100.

0 0 0
Kablamo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Okay thanks for clearing that up for me.

0 0 0
Saegen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject:

One could purchase "surge time" from the fine collector in Seringale for 500 gold a minute (changed to hours in game time) times your level or whatever price you deam nessicary. Make it viewable under your affects and have it go away if you die, like all other effects. It would have only the skill improvement effects of the surge however. And only make it available for purchase once every 200 or so game hours, so it is not abused. You can make a maximum of like 60 minutes alowed to be purchased at once. The 200 hours can start at the end of their "surge" time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: