Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 19 hours.

So-called RP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: So-called RP

Berating someone out of the blue, for no reason at all is not RP. It's just dumb, and only degrades yourself.

Then following through with a derogatory in-game note is also dumb. If someone ignores you on the mud....there is usually a damn good reason (in my mud time I have only ever ignored one other person). Please keep your opinions and insecurities to yourself...you want to express them, do it a little more constructively - build on the RP a little, think about your RP before you open your mouth.

You know who you are if you read the forum...

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject:

Uhhhh. So, you got killed. And so your insecurities with yourself bring yourself to the forums to complain? I doubt this Forum is for getting back at someone though..

And yes, even though you build a backstory and blahblah on a character that goes:

Xxx says 'thsadfk bshgsnshsh sfadsfahs as z s afsda'

It's kinda worthless too, because the next second he attacks you for the sake of attacking.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Xxx says 'thsadfk bshgsnshsh sfadsfahs as z s afsda'

Funny. That particular "RP" sounds very familiar.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject:

Eh.. was the original post deleted or something? I have no idea what is going on here.

Quote:

Unfortunately, many people will skim this guide and then believe themselves to be a guru on roleplaying. They're wrong. In fact, even if you read this guide thoroughly, you're probably STILL wrong. There is not enough information here to be an expert on this subject. So many people come from different backgrounds with different ideas of what roleplaying is - good roleplaying environments are able to accommodate all kinds of people with different views. So just because somebody has a different view than you of what's "good" roleplaying, doesn't mean they're wrong, or you're right! There is going to be diversity.

What follows is a few simple rules to remember, that will help you avoid making a fool of yourself when you try to be critical of others.

1) another character isn't doing what you want

For example, the player is a paladin and you're a lightwalker, but he isn't automatically giving you free equip/summoning training mobs etc. Or he's pretending to be a King of some kingdom when he's in fact just a thief, and you think its bullshit.

Or (and this is the most common "or) he is trying to pk you. In all these examples, YOU are unhappy with the outcome of what the other player is doing. THIS DOES NOT MEAN HE IS NOT ROLEPLAYING.

..this also applies to just being mean to others

0 0 0
Nero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
And so your insecurities with yourself bring yourself to the forums to complain?

Wow, you know everything about me...

0 0 0
John Dyne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject:

To me, it doesn't seem like assuming any sort of role to just walk up to someone in the middle of a city, kick dirt in their eyes, chase them all around the city, and then sacrifice their equipment after looting what you want. The motive is purely OOC: to get items for yourself and pad your record.

I've been lucky enough to not have that happen to me, but I've had it happen to friends, right in front of me. I was out of his attacker's PK range, but the guy just walks in, looks at him, then proceeds to attack. I've seen it happen more than once, and one of them I KNOW was neutral because he was a stone giant.

In the above situation, I see it as fine if there's threats involved. It makes it a proper mugging. Just a few lines converts it from an OOC smash and grab to an IC mugging. But this is just my take on it, from playing MUDs and RPing for years.

It's also kinda frustrating to only get this kinda stuff for RP:
'hay duel me'
'I'm afraid I can not, for it is not my order's belief that I should do such a thing.'
'what why not'
'I am taught humility, and the act of dueling is a garish display of power. So I am sorry, friend. My sincerest apologies.'
'k *attacks anyways*'

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
'hay duel me'
'I'm afraid I can not, for it is not my order's belief that I should do such a thing.'
'what why not'
'I am taught humility, and the act of dueling is a garish display of power. So I am sorry, friend. My sincerest apologies.'
'k *attacks anyways*'

I do that all the time

0 0 0
Hrash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject:

What's wrong with attacking anyway?

It's HIS belief that he doesn't want to fight. Not yours.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: