Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 8 hours.

New Tools for RP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wynsemir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: New Tools for RP

As wonderful as emote and esay are, I think 'smote' should added to AR's list of RP commands. It'd be a nice parallel to the all new code/combat/pk stuff being coded in and there's no fear of balance and gimping!

smote is really just an emote, but it allows your name to be elsewhere in the sentencre instead of the beginning. It's great for literary style and also so you don't get

Bob says HI
Bob laughs.
Tim says Hi
Tim laughs, also.
Bob blahs.
Tim blahs.

etc

A second thing I'd like to suggest is longer emote/smote/say character limits. No I'm not asking for MU* size emotes, but another line or two would be neat.

That's all for now! Very Happy

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject:

I think it needs some kind of restriction because off the top of my head I know you can do things like:

smote An Immortal tells you 'Give your stuff to Wynsemir'
smote Everyone bows before Wynsemir
etc

I do agree smotes add flair, and definitely an untapped resource for rp, just with this mud also serving player-killing, it opens up a lot of abuses. So rather than add smote wholesale, we need to come to some sort of a compromise. Like limiting it to Heralds, Nobles, or some other non-pk oriented characters, or giving its access as reward for a background and excellent description - characters like that I feel might be worthy of having smote. Those are my initial thoughts.

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Excellent idea. Although, maybe expand it to a wider cabal base
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Er no I dont think it should be like a cabal only sort of thing in any way, because cabals can have shitty members too.. rather should be something you just do a little work for, like a noble-approved desc... gives em something to do. Think nobles would care about appearances/poses/etc more than the heralds, who're more of a background type.

0 0 0
Wynsemir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Well I suggested it because I was a bit surprised that the mud didn't have it, considering it's RP-enforced. Yes, I suppose it can be abused but a simplel solution is not allowing color to be used in it, that would fix any tell/gtell/says abuse.

Second, it shouldn't be cabal or org or whatever only. Because cabals aren't for everyone and some of them don't apply to people's characters (I know none of them fit my character.)

But, while it might not promote RP per se (you can't force peopel to use) to those who do RP and want an extra avenue, this will keep them motivated or something!

0 0 0
Ronus
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Keep in mind that some people (mostly the ones who would be fooled by smote an Immortal tells you 'Give your stuff to Wynsemir') are also the ones who might log in with telnet. And depending on what version OS you are running, most telnet clients don't support color. You could also just "reply huh?" and see that your tell doesn't return to an Immortal. Though I think the main concern is that it can be abused, and this particular smote is only one particular example. Given time, i'm sure our playerbase can find many ways to exploit this.

0 0 0
Wynsemir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject:

In the muds I've played, smote was never abused. Though if what you say is true, then it says alot about the pbase. :/

0 0 0
Ronus
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Its a dog eat dog world. We're all just looking for ways to stay on top. Darwin at its best. Will you survive? Heh, j/k. But give it a few months and see how addicted you get, then tell me if you aren't looking for that edge, the angle of how to best your enemies.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:

AR has players from most age groups.. and I do believe 80% of the players has outgrown the "13 year old phase" where everyone abuses everything, yet there's still the 20% who still will jump at the first chance of trying out something "REAL COOL!!" just so they could mess someone else up.

Most of the abuse goes undetected and unreported, anyways. And yes, perhaps Smote command could be level restricted.. could be more stringent than yells.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: