Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 11 hours.

Web site front page
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theobserver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Web site front page

I made this while I was away. Just wondering what people thought of it:
http://abandonedrealms.wolfpaw.net/Tork/Test.htm

Here are some of my older attempts:
http://torkalen.u66.hosting365.ie/index.php?newskin=Faces

The second page was done in css so you can choose differnt between differnt skins. Personally I like the layout of the first site (test.htm) and I like the central box with the face peering out from in the second so maybe I'll try and combine the two.

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject:

Wow. That first one looks pretty good. I don't like the 2nd, it looks n00bish like the rest of the MUD sites. I'm guessing you're not finished, but

* Add in a 'play now' button in the hot spot somewhere.
* Give the bottom picture the same amount of space you gave the top from the two lines - it looks unbalanced.
* Even out the menu space between top/bottom, link 'em to where they go (and fix literature's spelling).
* That 1st picture is unbalanced, too. Different distances from left-right on the dotted lines
*The title of the page - maybe <TITLE>Welcome to the Abandoned Realms (either w/o mud, or make it MUD)</TITLE>

I think ABANDONED Realms would look better Abandoned Realms. I love that first one's look. Clean, and simple. Keep it short, too.

But that's just my 2¢.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else?

I could also do with a decent picture or two.

0 0 0
Kailya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject:

I like the first link, it looks good, I have some pics on my comp somewhere, one is the old avian from the webpage from back when I first started, I can dig them out if you want.

0 0 0
The Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject:

First one looks great.

Might want to remove the RSS feed, and the alt text for the images, though. Oh, and the kanji.

But it's a simple, striking layout - and by far more professional than most MUD websites I've seen.

Of the skins for the second (older) link, I like the 'whitey' one more. It just looks a little more elegant and legible, though I do admit that the faces are quite cool.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Hi just a couple of suggestions, but before I list em down have a look on the screenshot I taken, and modified to reflect the changes:

http://invokation.net/marsd/modified.jpg

Well first we could maximise screen size of a user through liquidity, and put the links and kranji on the left/right, rather than having a padding from the sides.

Next the "Abandoned Realms is a vast etc etc" column could be much larger. Main text should always have focus, against the current quite popular 3 column, similar width layouts.

The next two columns under the Doshu poster should just flow along, rather than being sliced up by an iFrame. While I think iframes are cool, having to maintain 2 seperate pages for features and updates is pretty tiresome as they can't inherit parent frame CSS and layout structures. They could just be php included seamlessly into the current layout.

I have no qualms about scrolling the whole page downwards, but I don't really like having to scroll a page, which is within a page itself.. if you get what i mean :p

Torkalen I love that piece of work Razz lol. Seems like you gave up on pure CSS too bwahahah :p when I'm free I'll do the modifications and post it up for you instead of just a photo.

MEH!!!!!! I'm disappointed!!!!!! LOL! I just found out Tork didn't make it himself >_< awwwww *runs to corner and cries his heart out*

0 0 0
First-fantasy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Its beautiful really. All suggestions I could make have already been made. I agree with fixing spaceing a bit, and with taking down the kanji possibly. I have pictures out the ying-yang and I'm always looking for more it just depends on if you want photographs or illustrations or what not.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Ehhhhh, well frankly I think the kranji is nice, it adds a little stroke to the overall design. I don't know about you all, but it kind of fits in if it's well placed maybe on top..... just not at that corner of the main content. Taking valuable space currently.

0 0 0
The Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject:

marsd wrote:
Ehhhhh, well frankly I think the kranji is nice, it adds a little stroke to the overall design. I don't know about you all, but it kind of fits in if it's well placed maybe on top..... just not at that corner of the main content. Taking valuable space currently.

Yep, the kanji is nice. It says 'aikido', but it's still nice. Wink

Perhaps someone could translate Abandoned Realms into Kanji, cause you're right, it does look good there.

Or, I dunno, have a picture of the various tattoos available (if, indeed, they are), or symbols for the various cabals.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Well I was getting frustrated at spending a lot of time coding css pages with very few people liking the results -so I just wanted something quick and dirty as a rough draft before spending time on coding the thing probarly. In the process of recoding the thing as css now. Thinking of putting one of those
comic strips down the row where that kanji is.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:

I agree on making the heading consistent: Abandoned Realms

Scroll the whole page, definately.

Leave the kanji.

Colors, layout and images are all great.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject:

marsd wrote:
The next two columns under the Doshu poster should just flow along, rather than being sliced up by an iFrame. While I think iframes are cool, having to maintain 2 seperate pages for features and updates is pretty tiresome as they can't inherit parent frame CSS and layout structures. They could just be php included seamlessly into the current layout.

Ehhh, just realised it's a DIV, not an Iframe that's made scrollable :p. Hah. Well still don't like double scrolling within pages so.... tha'ts about it.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject:

Mendek wrote:
Leave the kanji.

Colors, layout and images are all great.

We cant leave something that reads aikido on the main page. Maybe we can find something similar with the same colours.

kailya wrote:
I like the first link, it looks good, I have some pics on my comp somewhere, one is the old avian from the webpage from back when I first started, I can dig them out if you want.

If they look good, sure. Send em to:
the_observer2005@hotmail.com

I finished recoding that first layout into CSS:
http://abandonedrealms.wolfpaw.net/Tork/Test2.htm

Its just the bare bones (ie layout) and I know its plainer than ramod freestyling as divsky said but its also the most tedious part to write.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject:

Code:
<div id="top-section">
   <div id="top-col-1">
   Abandoned Realms slogan goes here.<br><p><p><p><p><p><p>
      </div>
</div>
[..]
   <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>
   <br><br><br><br><br><br><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>

Haha, don't do that Athtai. That's not really.... ethical. Besides it'll give a million errors for your <p> without </p>'s.

0 0 0
First-fantasy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:

So pretty and clean. Keep up the good work! (I'll keep my eyes peeled for pretty works of artistic splendour)

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject:

marsd wrote:
Haha, don't do that Athtai. That's not really.... ethical. Besides it'll give a million errors for your <p> without </p>'s.

Not ethical Confused Alrighty then, just for you marsd:

http://abandonedrealms.wolfpaw.net/Tork/Test2b.htm

0 0 0
Kailya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:

I have a sudden urge to eat waffles.................

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject:

.. i wanna be kept happy too. Sad

on the other hand, swwwwwwwweeet dragon. maybe we should hold, photoshop AR title contest. Anyone, anyone? Looks like link text = #6c4949, and text = #666666, font Arial.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:

I did another little bit of work:
http://abandonedrealms.wolfpaw.net/Tork/Test2c.php

If you reload the page a few times, the main picture should change.

0 0 0
The_Dark_Paladin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject:

ok never do the reload thing when your messed up cause its all trippy

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: