Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 7 hours.

Why do you think AR is fun?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Why do you think AR is fun?

So I was in the chatroom today and I got in an argument with, well, pretty much everyone there when they told me that the reason why AR is fun is because it's fun to piss people off. They told me that things like getting other people to delete is the ultimate form of satisfaction, that there would be no point in killing other people if you couldn't full loot/full sac them, rubbing it in their face, and so on. I was pretty suprised that pretty much everyone there feels that way.

My opinion is that if you kill someone, the fact that you beat them should be satisfaction enough, that looting should just be for taking what you can use, not a tool for pissing other people off, and that PKing should be about competition, not getting other people to delete. Nobody else seems to feel that way and told me that sportsmanship is a fine ideal but it gets killed in the face of reality (I came back by saying AR is a game, not reality).

Anyways, my question here is.. is that really what AR is about to everyone here? Satisfaction by knowing you caused RL grief to others? Or do you think it's just a competitive, fast-paced PK game where the thrill of victory should be thrill enough? Or is it something else?

0 0 0
Accident-Prone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject:

For myself it is more than just PKing. It is the Roleplaying and the escape from reality. Though do not get me wrong, the few times I have come out the victor, it was sweet. Full looting and sacrificing all your opponents possesions in spite is quite unnecassary. And I find that disturbing that the majority of us find pleasure in that. Sad

And please ignore the mispellings, I am far too lazy and tired to spellcheck.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject:

I just like the combat that brings the kill. Looting I don't care as much.

And another thing for the newbs, ..don't go to that Irc chat room if you haven't played a while ...it'll just dull your experience otherwise. I'm glad I played a few years before ever stepping foot in that room.. Talking about stuff other than AR is cool there, but when you start talking about the game and stuff its like...."Oh so that person isn't just logging on outta nowhere, ...he's logging on because someone told him (or he figured) I'm on and he just wants to gank me with his ooc friends", then the rage deletions from getting gank'd and full looted, and stuff like that....kinda sux. Also not a good place to be if you wanna keep your char secret as they will observe anything obvious...*like being in chat and noticing a certain char logged on each time* and stuff like that. Just some advice for the newer AR peeps out there.

While at the same time...some experienced players just wanna own other peeps and have a place to talk about it, and the chat is cool for that.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject:

i gotta say divsky, your post is pretty skewed to make your side of the discussion look a lot better..

but when it comes down to it, yeah i'm here for the pk first, rp second.. and if i want to play an evil bastard, i'll play an evil bastard. if i'm playing a honor-bound warlord, i'll play an honor-bound warlord. it just so happens that i play more evil bastards than honor-bound warlords.. full loots/sacs are just part of the package.

divsky and i referred to back when we'd play fighting games the arcades. whereas div said he would always try to play handicapped and give the other guy an easy second round, and he would have fun when he knew his opponent had fun, i had a different experience. i used to love definitively defeating my opponent and watching him and the rest of the people line up their quarters and wait to play me, only to be beaten again. i savored that moment a lot more because before i got good, i was that guy who was lining up the quarters and waiting his turn to be beat. same kind of thinking goes here, i sometimes have absolutely no remorse for ruining someone else's day because i went through it myself and got more addicted to AR because of that. some people may get put off if they consistently lose and lose bad, and yet many other people are like me and will stick through it if they like the game enough to do so.

it isn't surprising to me that some players are satisfied when other players are displeased with how they are treated. the very fact that we even have a standard of rp and a base of rp yuppies who can survive here because the pkers are expected (and sometimes told) to circumvent them demonstrates our commitment to those players who do not want to feel the full force of unrestricted pk.

to limit/ban looting, particularly at 50 (we already have slow-looting at low levels which doesn't even make sense rp wise but its there) would be a major blow to our PK scene indeed.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject:

How to offer my opinion on this one...Well. I'm of split minds.
For example, I had my gnome Herald, Dabilor, and he was about Roleplaying. I mean, I fought with him, usually in self defense mind, but I hardly made the character with pk'ing in mind. At the same time I had a Warlord named Kanata, and he was about killing people, or at least fighting people. I don't think you can have a solid RP char without having a pk character to use to vent some steam now and then. Or if you can, you're more stoic then I am. I think it's possible to do strict pk'ing for a while, but after a few years, hopefully, you'll grow bored and branch out into RP too. As far as full looting goes, at 50, it's expected, and I dont sweat it when I get full looted. Just refer to Legion vs. Everyone else logs on invokation to see good examples of that. But under 50, I think a partial looting is more appropriate, unless someone full loots you first, or has a full suit of rares. I'd take it all, screw being nice. But I mean, non-rares? Only if they're better then mine.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject:

So the first thought that comes to mind is that it's amazing how slanted the manner in which the discussion is being presentated is.

You kill, you loot. Sometimes you full loot, sometimes you don't. Sometimes, when you don't full loot, you run the risk of getting ganked. Like this, http://www.invokation.net/logs/view.php?id=1406. And then you walk around naked, even though you've killed the guy and he should be the one naked. So it's like this, would you rather be naked or would you rather have your opponent be naked? Do you really want to run the risk because if you die somewhere with vultures, you'll be out a weeks worth of equipment.

For the ideal of sportsmanship, lets go back to the Arcade game. As an player, I would like to think that I deserve to the full experience of combat from my opponent, regardless of whether they are 5 times worse or 200 times better than I am. This allows me to understand where I am versus that other person, and thus I know where and how I need to improve. To handicap oneself in order to even the fight is to say "ha, you're a gimp and you suck too much to even give me a challenge". I'd view that as a slap in the face instead of making the experience more fun. If I should lose, then at least I will have lost properly.

In AR, equipment is part of the game, losing it is also part of the unique style. If I wanted to play something where there was no risk, no challenge, no purpose, I'd go play WoW and just level up. Throw a punch of time into a risk-free character. "Oh, look I'm level 60, I rock and have a full set of items that I can't possibly lose. Eh, now what am I gonna do?"

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm a little confused as to how I can present your side of the argument without making it look skewed.

Quote:
Making someone delete is the ultimate satisfaction

I'm trying to figure out how you can interpret that any other way. You, Clifton, and others, were all extremely clear in your views that playing games is only satisfying when you can cause real-life grief to others. You then tried tossing out blanket statements about how all other multiplayer games are like that (I remember the statement from one of you about how you only play Counter Strike so you can headshot noobs 20 times in a row), tried dishing out crap like how good sportsmanship has no place in games, and told me I was whining if I disagree. And you all said on several occasion that pissing people off is the best part of games like AR.

If I wanted to cause real-life grief to someone, I'd cause it in real life. I don't need an online game to vent my angst and frustration against the world like an akward 8th grader.

Anyways, I want to understand.. if the point of AR should be to make people delete, to piss off players with far less skill than you multiple times (one of you did say that multi-killing is quite a thrill).. then why do we have things like low-level killing restrictions? Hell, it should be an all-out free-for-all where you can go to town on new players and repeatedly stomp all over them, keep them from re-equipping and multi-kill, regardless of level. That kind of shit is the point of AR, right? Because the fun is living through that until you get to the point where you can do it to other new players, right?

Please tell me where I'm skewing your argument.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do you think AR is fun?

Quote:
My opinion is that if you kill someone, the fact that you beat them should be satisfaction enough, that looting should just be for taking what you can use

Instead of whining about looting you could avoid dying, you wont have to worry about it at all that way. Go play a mage or something and leave the eq-dependent warrior classes to the people who can stomach them. That is the point of extended class selection, to suit different tastes.

0 0 0
trance_monkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I used to be all about the other side, Divsky. Long before I came to AR, when I was 13.

Played Gemstone III, text based, was a rogue (name of thief/ninja class), and would just pick on people all day. Steal things, give them back, steal again, kill'm, hide and follow them hidden for a while mocking them that they can't do shit about it, etc. The game was massive, like 1-2000 people at a time, and I repeatedly had had the immortals, the 4 or 5 online at a time of them, come down 'cos of complaints against me. I always won the immortals over, which made it even more thrilling. Then, one day, I just stopped wanting to be a dick. And the game became less interesting.

I really enjoy the competitive atmosphere of AR and the balance. But, I still get that thing in my gut where if I totally own a guy, I can't loot anything at all, except gold of course. If he actually wounded me and I have less than 20% health left, maybe I'll take something, maybe not. I went real easy on this one berserker, killed him 3 times over the span of a week, and of them all I only took his spiked gauntlets once, not even a rare. He then catches me off guard fighting air ruler, I'm already at 50% health, kills me and full loots/sac (not before I got him to awful). Still, though, I don't plan on doing the same to him. Though I may start sac'n his weapons, I DO NOT WANT HIM TO DELETE.

I want people to have fun when they fight me; either I was a challenge to kill, or I kill them and they still have most their equipment so they can rematch soon if they want.

Game's about fun. I'd hate to escape reality into a place that pisses me off even more.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject:

in my opinion, the game shouldn't be to the point where half your time is spent re-equiping. yes I know, Avoid dying. Duh, though everyone dies sometime. and even now you have Outfit. yay. grand, right? maybe, maybe not. This is a senerio that happened to me a while back, I waws like mid twenties or something, If I recall correctly, Had a couple rares. Someone kills me and a level fifty full loots my corpse. no mercy at all, not get *rare* corpse,... get all corpse. bluntly fifty full loot twenty five. thats it. I reported it and (I assume) nothing happened. Now.... if the 50 had gotten a rare or two, I wouldn't have cared. But getting damn teeth necklaces and opal rings is just fucking retarded.

FUll looting/sacing is, in my opinion, a major problem. It literally makes me want to delete every character I ever had and quit AR. No one has a reason to full loot. Half loot... maybe... but it is even worse to see this...

west
remove all
drop all
east
get all corpse
west
west
drop all
east
get all
wear all
west
sac 1.
sac 1.

retarded.

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject:

In some ways I agree, I hate to see a full loot - but I realised years ago that this is part of the game and that it has to be to make the consequences of a death all the more devastating. This is key to a lot of AR's appeal. I dont full loot myself unless i'm in a Cabal war or if the opponent has done it to me in the past.

I accept that if I die, there is a strong chance I will lose my equipment. Now you can deal with this in several ways, you can full loot everyone you kill because most likely they would do it to you, you can not worry about it and carry on your normal game but use gambling eq and maybe the odd rare so that if you die you can maybe deal with it easier, you can play a non-eq dependant class, or you can make sure you are damned difficult to kill and try not to die.

With the introduction of gambled eq in particular, the need for rares is not as strong as it once was. My suggestion is to accept the fact you will die and accept you will lose your eq, its part of the game so dont let it spoil it for you.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Go play a mage or something and leave the eq-dependent warrior classes to the people who can stomach them.

Davairus you seem to be of the opinion that he is bitching about full looting as a piece of the game, in that "Sometimes when you play one class over the other, you get full looted because the class you were fighting (or the class you are fighting as) is more dependant upon equipment than another." I don't think he is bitching about the individual circumstances of full looting as opposed to a wide scale trend he is scared of.

I believe Divsky's point is that the game should not be entirely based upon the "making others delete/getting that full loot makes me blow a load" mentality. He claims, according to his account of the situation (and the lack of opposition to this account seems to give his argument some merit), that in the chat room he was told this was the 'entire' point, the absolute joy of AR.

My belief is that AR is a game and as such should be played as a game. When I play soccer and we start winning by alot, maybe 10 to 2 for instance. We start playing a little more relaxed, not wanting to send the boys away destroyed. Simply put, we want to make sure there is a team next week to play. If you are going to "stomp" out the competition and "make" people delete, I don't want to hear anymore bitching (and this is bitching) about such a small playerbase. We have heard the complaints before about playerbase size, or the lack there of. In fact, just stop trying to get players here altogether because all you are looking for is newb fodder for your "oh so great" cannon.

Games are about FUN, all around. It has nothing to do with getting stains in your pants because you have less of a life than someone else and have more time to play this GAME. Winning is fine, but the all out obsession to cause others grief is an issue you might want to visit with your local psychologist about. The only thing that comes to mind when I think about this is "Napoleon Syndrome". [/code]

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject:

In all honesty it was me bitching about looting that got this whole thing started.

However, it was comments like "Getting someone to delete is the ultimate satisfaction" that kept it going. The conversation I had was clearly not about just looting. I was rather disgusted that so many people got such glee out of other peoples misfortune and comments about how it's so much more enjoyable when you know the player is pissed off in real life. And then of course, the blanket statements about how this is what AR is all about.

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject:

I agree that AR is only a game and as such is there to be enjoyed by all who play it (otherwise nobody would play). I disagree with the people who get pleasure from making others delete, to be honest Ive seen a few people delete after I've killed them (as hard to believe as that sounds Razz) and all it did was make my feel like a bastard.

Personally I enjoy the challenge of the battles and the thrill of a victory, thats it. If I die and get looted well so be it, I shouldnt have died. If I kill somebody then cool, thats a thrill but I dont think it's a good mentality to have to actually want somebody to delete.

We want AR to be fun and we want lots of people playing it so that it becomes even more fun, multi-killing people and aiming to make people delete is not the way to do that.

Having said that, nobody should be getting too worked up about getting full looted, like I said it's part of the game.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Having said that, nobody should be getting too worked up about getting full looted, like I said it's part of the game.

Tell that to the countless new players that have finally gotten their first character up into the 30s/40s, thanks to veteran players dragging them along and supplying them with equipment along the way, only to have their lives ended in a flash when they go exploring and can't find their way around. You wouldn't believe how many complaints are given by new players because "so-and-so took all my stuff, and I haven't even talked to him before" and similar cases.

I admit that, given the right character, I like full-looting someone after killing them. However, I also understand that it's going to happen to me, so I don't get terribly bent out of shape over it. It's different after playing the game for years and just starting out though. New players are off trying to remember how to get to the Mansion from Seringale, since the only time they've been there before is when a veteran grabbed them and speedwalked the whole way there, not leaving time to map out the way. Meanwhile an evil guy comes along while that group's resting and ganks 'em, leaving the guy's corpse halfway across the map from where he's comfortable, and taking/destroying his stuff in the process.

I'm at a split on this whole argument:

- Yes, full-looting happens and in my opinion is an integral and fully understandable/acceptable part of the game, but...

- New players shouldn't be expected to lose their hard-earned mithril/red dragon when they can't even find goblin armor.

Outfitting with guild-issue equipment is a nice addition, but if newbs get their gold looted too, they can't fix that problem. "What about bank accounts," you might say. Again... new players don't generally know where/how to use banks, so no gold leaves them high and dry, back to square one.

The only problem I see with full-looting is the "driving players away" issue. Say you play against someone in a round of golf, and they've got sweet Titleist clubs, graphite shafts, etc... all the bells and whistles. If you beat the shit out of them even though they've got nice stuff, you wouldn't destroy their clubs and tell them "come back next weekend." If you were good enough to defeat them with their great equipment, you should welcome the challenge again (if they think they need that stuff to beat you). It only makes sense: if their great equipment didn't do the trick the first time, as long as you don't screw up it shouldn't do the trick the second time either.

Less emphasis on equipment, more emphasis on individual skill and intelligent decision-making. I think I could go on about this, and might later, but I've gotta run.

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Why do you think AR is fun?

divsky wrote:
So I was in the chatroom today and I got in an argument with, well, pretty much everyone there when they told me that the reason why AR is fun is because it's fun to piss people off. They told me that things like getting other people to delete is the ultimate form of satisfaction, that there would be no point in killing other people if you couldn't full loot/full sac them, rubbing it in their face, and so on. I was pretty suprised that pretty much everyone there feels that way.

My opinion is that if you kill someone, the fact that you beat them should be satisfaction enough, that looting should just be for taking what you can use, not a tool for pissing other people off, and that PKing should be about competition, not getting other people to delete. Nobody else seems to feel that way and told me that sportsmanship is a fine ideal but it gets killed in the face of reality (I came back by saying AR is a game, not reality).

Anyways, my question here is.. is that really what AR is about to everyone here? Satisfaction by knowing you caused RL grief to others? Or do you think it's just a competitive, fast-paced PK game where the thrill of victory should be thrill enough? Or is it something else?

So that's why I'm getting pwnt so much lately (fool loot every time I get on, one time per connect if I'm lucky). Grrrr. AR is fun because... ok, um... it's not exactly fun, I would say. Sometimes it can be, when you get in an equal fight that lasts forever, or when some awesome RP gets going. It's kind of something I do, rather than go to have fun. Hopefully there's fun there, when I do play, but I'd rather go four-wheeling. Or whoop my bro's in Magic. Like I always do (you know it!).

0 0 0
First-fantasy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject:

A.R is fun to me on a whole. Granted I'm not a big fan of equipment gathering. But that's just because I still don't know where a lot of it is...whoops. But getting ganked is ussually fun. Expecially when I last more than two rounds. Pking is just a part of it that I've grown to not completely hate. But rp is splendid. Arguing with a Knight while you are a semi-sarcastic drow? Priceless.

Then again, I'm easily amused, so my opinion doesn't really count.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:

flying hampster doesnt post in 6 months and feels compelled to post just to disagree with whatever I said. That's why I love him so much.. he makes me feel truly special.

Eh.. Seems to me we got some dedicated players who need and ENJOY the looting and pandemonium of rares going around (they have high level chars, and cabal chars). And then we have some fair weather players who just cannot hack it. That's about all I can see here. I think the cause of it is boredom, and looting rules arent going to change that. I think dedicated players will quit because the game is changed so they CAN'T full loot, and they'll be a lot harder to replace than the casual players who're just poking about in 30s. Anyway.. it seems like its a source of excitement for vets, as opposed to the usual boredom of ranking/training etc.

0 0 0
Nero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
hey told me that things like getting other people to delete is the ultimate form of satisfaction, that there would be no point in killing other people if you couldn't full loot/full sac them, rubbing it in their face, and so on.

I really don't care that much about the full lootin/saccing...it's just something that comes with the territory of playing a game like this. Anyone can turn around saying their RP reason was to stop you taking out revenge...or whatever yada yada. Yea, it's goddamn annoying when you're full of rares, that you spent hours getting...however, the part about getting other people to delete, that is the ultimate form of satisfaction...that's the part that pisses me off. It sometimes feels with some of the players here, that the only reason they play is to dominate another, own them and control them as such. To me if you need that, that you require to derive that kind of satisfaction from something, then this game will do nothing for you...nothing truely meaningful.

Anyway, I said it. I've heard people say that before ( the bit about getting others to delete) long before Div brought this up, and it still bugs me. But the reason I think AR is fun, is the world that you enter and the people you come across. Both PK and RP.

To the ones that don't play like assholes...cheers to you, you've made the experience worthwhile and FUN!!

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:

AR is fun because it's competitive. As a player, my level 50's had ruthlessly looted anyone who deserves it: caballed chars, hoarders (especially hoarders), fellow die-hard PKers, people with OOC connections (were I playing a mort today, all you IRC people would fall into this category), former niche killers who made it into my PK, gankers who had a history of looting other people's corpses, people who talk smack after being killed, and so on. Otherwise, I killed them and left their pitiful red dragon or whatever alone. How is it remotely competitive to piss on their corpse after they already got thrashed? I don't need to resort to playground bully tactics to prove what a badass my character was, unless the victim clearly had it coming to them.

Note though that a lot of people fell into the categories I listed above, so I probably wound up full looting more than half my kills, I'd estimate. And every single one of them had it coming to them. And the ones who didn't get full looted didn't.

Plus, if you leave someone's eq behind and then they do something stupid to make you kill them again, afterward they can't complain that you killed them naked and you also won't look like a trash PKer for teaching them to shut their traps. The more insecure you are about your PK skills, the more you'll treat someone who really isn't a threat as an actual threat. A good PKer exercises good PKing judgement.

Now as an Imm, I view competitiveness as being a lot like capitalism: you need checks into the system so that power doesn't become unbreakably consolidated in the hands of a few, like the trusts and robber barons were back in the early 20th century's Gilded Age. In other words, when PKers begin to employ what are analogous to monopolistic practices, we Imms intervene with rules to keep the game competitive. Ultimately, it's a system that requires constant attention and fine-tuning, just like managing a nation's economy.

I'll also say that being an Imm instantly drains the fun from going out of my way to screw players over, piss them off, make them delete, etc. Why do that using a mort PKer when I can just flat out slay and deny them?

There are always some PKers who wind up looking like small-time banana republic dictators, and other who turn out being remembered as a Caesar or an Alexander the Great. It's not just how many bodies you kill but also has quite a bit with how you go about doing it, and it's pretty obvious in retrospect why certain PKers are thought of as "trash" and how others are thought of as "badass" or "elite". How said PKer chooses his targets and how he loots them are just a couple of the factors involved.

And on the lowbie issue: everyone has to learn to deal with a full loot sooner or later. Would you prefer that they learn it at 15 or at 35? We've made full loots come at higher levels because it's easier to recover from it then, but either way, full looting is part of the game. Even if it means some people will "out" themselves as trashy PKers by overusing it -- that's their perogative to make themselves look like petty playground bullies rather than competitive sportsmen. You just have to recognize it and treat them accordingly, whether IC or OOC.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: