Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 9 hours.

Props
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cirdan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I would have to give props to "the main man" Haelralter. All the knights. I had the most fun interacting with them. Elaedon I had very much interaction with as well. I did not speak with Jyra that much so I do not know her as well as everyone else. That is about all that I can think of right this second. Besides Drigoch doing a very awesome ceremony for my wedding that was good.

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Astinor wrote:
Edit: Yeah I've noticed he started calling himself the main man and gets drunk. I considered doing a Lobo based char too, but not with a paladin, cause anyone who has read or watched any cartoons with Lobo, knows he's a dick, not a selfless paladin.

Well, I didn't plan a Lobo-based paladin at first. If you look at Hael's full name, it's reminiscent of the old Germanic names you'd see in Old English poems like Beowulf. I started reading that poem in order to familiarize myself with the fine grain of the language and figures of speech they used, so that I could have Haelraltar interact with others based upon that beautiful (yes, I used the word 'beautiful') and elegiac language. So originally Hael was supposed to be sad but strong, nostalgic but eager to meet the future. Needless to say I failed.

But rather than take the uncreative, default route most players take when playing barbarians (hael is a barbarian-turned-paladin, in case you didn't know, and you wouldn't if you haven't read his background or knight application, or asked him about his past), and start referring to myself in the third person and not using pronouns or articles, I decided to execute a twist on the trite genre of barbaric speech, and tightly limited my third-person self-references to the expression "the main man," which I got after watching an episode of Justice League Unlimited, where Lobo applies to take Superman's vacated place in the League.

The heavy drinking, however, was there before the main man reference. Not very original, but it helps make vivid all the variations of my mead-bench wrecking catchphrase Smile. Also, it probably wouldn't amuse players very much if a Lobo-based character came in the package of a warrior or a berserker, since that would be expected, but from a paladin, and especially a Knight, it certainly challenges people's expectations. And it's not like you're not allowed to appropriate some aspects of Lobo and drop the rest (namely the "dickhead" personality, though Hael certainly has some of that, just ask Elaedon Twisted Evil ). And you can do certain things with such a combination that you couldn't with the usual warrior/berseker/ranger or whatever base.

For people who'd like to read Beowulf to improve their RP, I strongly suggest the Seamus Heaney translation. Here's a bit of the poem's power:

A newly constructed
barrow [mound of earth over a grave] stood waiting, on a wide headland [piece of land that juts out over the sea]
close to the waves, its entryway secured.
Into it the keeper of the hoard had carried
all the goods and golden ware
worth preserving. His words were few:
"Now, earth, hold what earls once held
and heroes can no more; it was mined from you first
by honorable men. My own people
have been ruined in war; one by one
they went down to death, looked their last
on sweet life in the hall. I am left with nobody
to bear a sword or to burnish plated goblets,
put a sheen on the cup. The companies have departed.
The hard helmet, hasped with gold,
will be stripped of its hoops; and the helmet-shiner
who should polish the metal of the war-mask sleeps;
the coat of mail that came through all fights,
through shield-collapse and cut of sword,
decays with the warrior. Nor may webbed mail
range far and side on the warlord's back
beside his mustered troops. No trembling harp,
no tuned timber, no tumbling hawk
swerving through the hall, no swift horse
pawing the courtyard. Pillage and slaughter
have emptied the earth of entire peoples."
And so he mourned as he moved about the world,
deserted and alone, lamenting his unhappiness
day and night, until death's flood
brimmed up in his heart.

---

As you can see, lots of figures are used to indicate what more prosaic words can convey, like "war-mask" for helmet. In other parts of the poem you'd see "whale-road" for sea, or "ring-giver"/"treasure-giver" (Hael has actually used these terms) for King, since a King was supposed to give gifts to his thanes in order to ensure their loyalty and express his love for them. Though I have no concrete proof of this, using my elite literary analysis skills I'd have to say that Theoden's speech in the second installment of LOTR was based off the passage I've just lifted from Beowulf.

This post has turned out to be much longer than I anticipated. AR already has an RP guide (don't want to be mean, but I didn't think it was very good), but I think it'd be cool if people posted their own RP techniques (maybe how they brainstorm their chars, or develop them at level 50 as opposed to the lower levels), the difficulties they come across, or the kinds of texts they use to help them produce ideas.

Last edited by formalism on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:

And to throw my own two cents in there, I like Elaedon and Rayor as well. And who can forget Derangea!! How come I haven't heard any "props" for her?

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Drigoch attacking Rayor because Rayor patted him on the head was pretty dam hilarious, made me laugh but I rp'ed getting real mad. It was because Drigoch had head lice or something... Laughing

0 0 0
Cidero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Yeah! Seems like alot of people dont like me patting them on the heads... I kinda didnt take drigoch's warning too well i guess... I kinda like patting people on the head though... Umm... What else... I dont really try to do much with my character... I like to think of myself as a child... That is how I act. I hop around alot... Get easily amused(as Vhrael might have realized) and pat people on the head. Which, in part, get people mad at me! Hahah...

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

yeh, that pretty much sums up rayor Very Happy

0 0 0
gr8mage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This post has turned out to be much longer than I anticipated. AR already has an RP guide (don't want to be mean, but I didn't think it was very good), but I think it'd be cool if people posted their own RP techniques (maybe how they brainstorm their chars, or develop them at level 50 as opposed to the lower levels), the difficulties they come across, or the kinds of texts they use to help them produce ideas.

I really like this idea. Maybe a thread like the roleplaying or mockers tavern, then each person would have their own topic on what they do, it'd help newbies to see that kind of stuff, and the rest can polish up on their roleplaying techniques, or give feedback, etc.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject:

You guys need to stop hijacking the thread for arguing about this stuff. Honestly, I'd like to see all the posts over the argument deleted, this is for giving accolades or giving very mild constructive criticism with accolades, not what you guys are using it for.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:

Request honored. We have a rule against thread hijacks to keep our threads on track. Source of argument has been destroyed to acknowledge the problem.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject:

Props to Maedera for playing an interesting and well developed char.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject:

_Clifton_ wrote:
Props to Maedera for playing an interesting and well developed char.

I'll second that. I haven't had any interaction with Maedera besides the bit of RP we had when she was at a lower rank, but she's definitely stuck to her guns. I was expecting a deletion after we had a certain conversation, but she's definitely impressed me at the very least with her choice to keep on truckin'.

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Vhrael wrote:

I'll second that.

I'll third that. I've been observing her for a while now.Quite interesting char, and she is consistent. She leaves me with farmiliar feel. Well, hopefully we don't spoil her.

Keep up the good work girl/dude:)

And oh Loretour, or whatever that minotaur's name is. Added up to a few good laughs, like the cow.

0 0 0
m1co

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I know Maedera the most i belive, as we ranked up from almost nothing to near 50 (48 to be precise for her), and yes, its amazing how someone can play lawful necro just for the RP and shit, i bet any1 who woulndt go for the justice would make chaotic one to use items, but she's cunning, helped me alot aswell, needs little learning about PK but i think she's fine now after i showed her where to get miscreantic battle troll zombies;)

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Elaedon!! all my charectors know em... very nice and good rp.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:

YAY! Let's start it up again! Who are all the good RP'ers these days now? See, most of these are old school, I want new ones! NEW ONES DAMNIT!!

On that note, I think, uhh... Well, I like a few people. Calram and Belbris are just silly, they make me giggle... And well, right now isnt a good time for me to think so i will just say those two i suppose. I mean there are those obvious ones that have been around for a while, Jyra, Melenn, and so on... But enough with me, how about you?

Oh, also wanna say Bindar has a good kinda RP thingy goin on too

Last edited by Kedaleam on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

there are a nice bunch of em now... well, other than the aforementioned "oldies", here are the standing-out guys i've had the pleasure of rping with, not in any particular order:

- artos: Embarassed
- bindar: being made to smell like fish does not equal a good time
- fanglin: thanks for joining in on the story, made it a blast
- belbris: are you the sneaky bugger who keeps changing the bulletin?? Ninja
- moo: moooooo
(- tahirai: i hope you liked the rabbit)

0 0 0
beia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Im pretty new school, hehe well I like to consider myself that... Define new school, just new players?

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject:

i think he means this "generation" of characters

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

When I say newer players, I just mean current ones... Not ones of like a year ago or anything... Not of all times, just current

0 0 0
MrCarb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject:

Yea, I like Bindar's fish thing but...ahem...it's a babel fish, isn't it.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: