Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 3 hours.

Stats rolling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Zealot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject:

Sweet! I now have a cast-iron excuse for all my non-herald 0-61 characters in the graveyard. I usually accept pretty much any roll over 92ish. So when that halfling healer waxes me in three rounds? I wasn't max rolled. Gnome warrior rapes me with 90% health? Wasn't max rolled.

It's not that I suck - it's that I was fighting at a disadvantage all this time!

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:

lol. I've never even gotten 92... i always thought 91 was tops... hehe.....

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:

Well if you lose to a gnome warrior who has > 90% health, its not going to make much difference to you whatever you roll.. but if you were playing at the highest level of the game, in cabals, and lets assume that all classes are balanced equally... then the roll unquestionably tips the odds slightly in your favour. And history has shown it'll count. When you crawl out of a cabal defence gangbang with 9 hp out of 800 and a full set of ownage rares your cabal can't afford you to lose, crap running down your legs, having earned that 10 hp becomes the right thing to do, regardless how dull and boring rolling for 1 hour instead of 1 minute was. Would you roll if it determined your eventual damroll? Well it does. Think about how much time you'll invest into gambling, getting eq. Its just another way of getting your secondary attributes, or however you decide to use the bonus trains. Now consider that this particular bonus is just as "permanent" as a tattoo or mastered dirt or something. How much does mastered hide really matter? You can flee and hide a second time right?

* its just as easy to write a stat roller, and roll a -1 max, than it is to write one and master sneak & hide, and it arrives a lot sooner *

Its a possibly stupid choice to leave those stats at base and start looking for stat eq as well though. This option is one which to the average schmuck just isn't worth taking. I think at lowest level play (Heralds & newbies/ trash), being -1 dex or something like that is no more than a nuisance for optimizing the hardest-hitting composite non-rare hit/dam/gamble suit to provide damage for winter groups or mob/newb bashing. Whereas for me, I'd rather extend my life by a few rounds longer, to make up for contingiencies like not-fleeing-from-dirts, and allow more time for me to outplay my opponent, as opposed to having 2 damroll and finishing a mob off in 29 hits instead of 30. You get good value out of leaving stats base, a lot higher than you do from hp eq. Just look at mithril upon deficient dex that was spent into hp instead of trained.. instead of getting 1 hit 1 dex you effectively get 1 hit 10 hp instead. That's rare quality. I've pked most people on AR that actually whore damage hard, so I think I know what I'm talking about. The double training at level 1 is also very nice, but you're being kinda lazy if youre gimping your roll to turn a -1 into a -2. I've done that too with characters that were still fun, but not when I planned making a monster.

Of course it is your character and there are no wrong choices. Some people dont play AR for the pk at all. I would certainly respect your decision to avoid spending your time doing something you find unenjoyable, it could be time spent gathering eq from Winter instead, or whatever. That'd make a much bigger difference than rolling. But by the same token I wouldnt call it "power playing" just to get a max roll. Its when people start deleting level 8's over and over that it begins to get a bit stupid. (Theoretically, you could just keep rerolling over and over from 1-50 with brand new max rolls, until you finally created a 1050 hp freak character, but just having to lose a roll in deleting generally puts most people off doing that, otherwise, they'd try. So love the roller. It recognises that people want a way to improve their hp and provides a way to limit it to something so easy that everybody can compete equally for)

0 0 0
The Zealot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject:

That's a really interesting post. I wasn't aware people put that kind of emphasis on stat rolling, although it does make sense now that I think about it. What make more sense is that I reviewed a log where one of the top players was using the same race/class combo as me. At 50 they had about 70hp more than I could theoretically hope for, even having thrown all my spare pracs into health. They weren't wearing +hp equipment, so I was at a loss to explain the difference, unless they just got lucky on every level-up, and rolled high hps. This gives me something to think about, I guess.

From what I gather, back before practice changes, it was fairly common to 1 prac to 35% and then train the rest of the way to mastery, saving that extra prac for hp. That would probably still be viable for something like an elf or half elf. Does anyone still do that? Because it would seem to be the other half of the max-rolling coin.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject:

It's doable if you spend the necessary time training the character. But the levels you'd want to train at, 40ish, is hard to get to with shitty stats and defenses. So if you're willing to invest the time into it, why not? Just remember that trying it with a fire giant zerker is not easy.

0 0 0
The Zealot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Roughly how long is a max, or near-max roll likely to take? I decided to roll up a lowbie just to test the stat roller I made. It's been going for a couple of hours now -- the target is (max - 2) for the race. I'm just curious as to a ballpark figure - is this something I should just leave on overnight.

Of course, given my lack of scripting ability, it's always possible i've made it so it says 'no' to every option, and have already missed my max-roll. Sad

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject:

perfect roll takes an average of 40k. 5k-10k rolls an hour maybe.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject:

Perfect takes awhile, -1 shouldnt take too long, -2 should be complete cake. Should be something wrong with your code.

0 0 0
Mahkan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject:

im not sure i get this whole max -2 thing

do you mean to say, for a human, you can actually roll a 99?

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject:

Off the top of my head most(all?) humans roll a max of 93. So if you wanted a really quick char you could do -2 and go for 91. With max roll of 93 you spend your three double trains to get 99, and have 2 missing stats to cover with further trains or equipment.

0 0 0
Mahkan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject:

thats reassuring... i thought for a second i was gimping all my characters at creation

the best roll i've found so far is duergar warriors

i rolled a max -1 in 10 seconds
i then rolled for the max (94) and i got the number a bunch of times but couldnt get the exact variation i wanted so i settled for the 93

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject:

There is no variation on a max roll, its an exact set of stats. If you can get one number a few different ways, its -1 or worse.

0 0 0
arkane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I just downloaded greywolfs stat roller, and I can't get it to do anything? I know that it is supposed to auto roll once you get to that part of the creation process, and my parse string is correct, so I don't know why it won't start rolling? I'm new at using one of these, so any help will be appreciated.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject:

I tried a stat roller from invokation.net but it didn't work for me. I found it easier to just create one myself.

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject:

My whole problem is I'm too retarded to figure out how the frick to write a stat roller, and no one else will help me out.
And it just isn't possible to do it by hand, I mean 50,000 "n's"

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject:

you can just do something like
86 n
87 n
88 n
89 n
90 n
91 n

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject:

I've tried that, it doesn't work, unfortunately

0 0 0
Shughurd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject:

well, i don't have it coded on my client, i just use it when im rolling a char.

#ac {[8%1]} n
#ac {[90]} n
#ac {[91]} n
#ac {[92]} n

etc.

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject:

alright, I'm really retarded... so... where exactly do you put that? It's a script right?
I have no idea how to do anything Embarassed

or, how do YOU, personally, use it?
and what client do you use?

0 0 0
Shughurd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm using old version of JMC. Just write em into the text window like usual text. #ac 90 n <- there.

Btw, what's max roll for Drow DK's ?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: