Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 3 hours.

skills/spells that dont work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gr8mage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: skills/spells that dont work?

There are a few skills and spells out there that people say not to practice because they are useless. Can anyone name them all and give a good explanation as to why they are useless?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject:

Couple I remember off the top of my head..

- shocking grasp, burning hands, would ideally be 1%, at the moment, because they're helpful low level spells, but you get better spells soon enough
- energy drain is a 1% being too hard to land for the benefits
- calm 1% because it doesnt break rage/frenzy or anything useful
- faerie fog is a 1% for anything with an AOE
- cause light/serious/critical get left 1% because of harm and demonfire
- cure light/serious is a 1% because of cure critical
- detect good/evil/poison all 1% because they just plain useless
- continual light 1% due to war banners
- mass healing 1%, kinda nice but there's no applications, you need 4+ people all under attack before it becomes worthwhile
- refresh 1%, its targetted instead of upon group, so not much use besides personal usage
- cleanse room 1%, its completely useless

Some of those are useful for roleplay, others.. not really.

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Couple I remember off the top of my head..

- cure light/serious is a 1% because of cure critical

For hal -elf paladins... I thought cure light WOULD be useful? If for nothing else other than racial legacies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Noliperus_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

create water - why bother when you have create spring?

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

For certain classes (i.e. paladin) it is an extremely viable option. You're not always going to: A. be near a fountain/spring in time or B. have a person near you who can or will make a spring. Actually saved my life a time or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I think he was referring to classes like invoker that get both.

0 0 0
Noliperus_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think he was referring to classes like invoker that get both.

Wurd.

0 0 0
gr8mage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject:

hmm. There might be a way to make those spells viable. They arent used because they arent as powerful as higher level spells right? You could change it so that if you learn the lower level spell of a set (cure/cause) you instantly get the next level spell at same % as the low level one without having to train. The one thing about usual games I've played is that everything has its place. cure light would normally be the most efficient spell, using the smallest amount of mana for the largest amount of healing. Where efficiency drops is using higher level spells, because you need the spell to do the most possible in as short a time as possible, the strength/mana ratio changes from 2:1(cure light) to 1:1 to 1:2 to 1:3 or something.

I dunno but I kind of dislike being completely useless to a group such that noone would want me, because grouping with a casting class is like asking for an ass kicking if you cant fight it correctly. Especially when ranking is important to do as fast as possible you would want people who contribute instead of sit there.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You could change it so that if you learn the lower level spell of a set (cure/cause) you instantly get the next level spell at same % as the low level one without having to train.

So all you'd do there is sit at rank 5/10 and spam cure/cause light, then you'd have critical mastered? That's a bit extreme in the "overpowered" department, I'd say.

The reason for the weaker versions (cure/cause light, etc.) is so you have some form of healing/afflictive spell at lower ranks. The problem is that people typically blast through the lower ranks so quickly (especially now with surges) that the weaker spells become insignificant and inefficient when compared to higher-ranked spells like cure critical, so wasting practices and time practicing the weaker ones isn't a "smart decision" to most players.

0 0 0
gr8mage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

well it could depend on how many practices you put into cure light, but you dont get cure crit until the level you are supposed to get it, it is just already available because people dont spend those trains anyway why not let them have it at 75% or whatever if they practiced the lower level spell.

Or make spells requisites like you need burning hands for lightning for icicle and flame arrow, or cure light for cure + + +..

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject:

Eh, I think create water has its advantages. For one, if I was a dwarf healer, being chased down my an invoker, I certainly don't think I would want to make any extra springs than I had to. Second, they leave a "trail" (or at least a "I WAS HERE!" marker, making you easier to find while being chased. Third, I think the springs can be located with locate object, again making you easier to find. Fourth, create water takes less mana.

With my healers I actually never practiced create spring. Just went with create water.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: