Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 4 hours.

AR Poker Debut
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
all-in may be staying out of the game, because with the game being online, you can't see anyones poker faces, so bluffing is really easy

Conversly, I would like point out that there are plenty of online poker sites, which allow all ins. Even though reading someones face is an important part of any poker game, I believe what is more important is mastering what moves someone will make with which types of cards. Besides which, if you don't have the obvious winning hand according to what is seen on the flop and you are playing against four other people. You have to run the risk that one of those other people has that winning hand and just gave them all your money.

What you will find, in my humble opinion, is that most of the time even if someone wins a few big hands on an all in bet, most of the time he is going to lose all his money really fast.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I really dont like the idea of the 'wilds'

I really hate the fact that you dont play poker...lol

All-in is a requirement. Period. It isnt the same game otherwise. All in is a HUGE tactic in a lot of peoples hands. You know when to play it, you know when you dont. I wont play if there are these little limits. Texas hold em is a great game, which I love to play. And this little altered rendition is...Just not very fun. (especialy when you get pushed out of a pot because you dont have enough coin)

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:

One thing that you all need to try and keep in perspective is the fact that you're not playing AR to play "Texas Hold 'Em"... you're playing poker within a larger game. All the talk about "all-in should be allowed" is great, up until the first time a thief walks in, looks at the table to see who's got the 100k, then goes blackjack/gold-steal crazy.

Just keep that in mind. It's a small, small part (albeit a fun and entertaining way to gamble now) of a much larger game dynamic.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject:

So anyway, fix for the two pair evaluation "bug" is going in, hopefully that will work fine. I tested it.

All-in's are complicated mullet.. thats why its taking a while.

1) I still dont have a good thorough explanation from anyone. (example, clif doesnt say what happens if theres only 2 people in the game, or maybe the more general case, everyone is all in, or what happens to the side pots if someone just gets up and leaves)
2) Its pretty difficult to actually code. See 1. I'm not going to be pleased when I have to undo 7-8 hours of coding work because its "wrong".

Oh yeah, and you obviously know less about poker than I do, because you dont seem to know:

- limit poker is very popular, and not every variation of it -needs- all-ins.
- "wild card" poker is an existing poker format called "Joker's wild", they use it on the slots, because it makes strong hands easier. I found it researching poker.

Ta.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
1) I still dont have a good thorough explanation from anyone. (example, clif doesnt say what happens if theres only 2 people in the game, or maybe the more general case, everyone is all in, or what happens to the side pots if someone just gets up and leaves)

In a regular game, if that happens. The person that leaves just forfeits the hand. Thus the sidepot is left to the people who are still playing. As for the general case of All-Ins (in this case, not having the money to match the pot), it recurses through into multiple side pots.

Player A,B,C,D.

A = 6k B = 7k C = 4k D = 2K
A bets 3k

MAIN = 8k (2k [max of D] * 4 [# of callers])
SIDE1 = 3k (1k [remainder of bet] * 3 [# of callers left])

A = 4k B = 5k C = 1k D = 0K
A bets 3k more,

MAIN = 8k (A,B,C,D compete for this -- this is where D ran out of Money)
SIDE1 = 3k + 3k (1k [max of C] * 3 [# of callers]) (A,B,C compete for this -- C out of Money)
SIDE2 = 4k (2k [remaind of bet] * 2 [# of callers left])

A = 2k B = 3k C = 0k D = 0K
Now.. lets have B bet 3k
MAIN = 8k (A,B,C,D compete for this -- this is where D ran out of Money)
SIDE1 = 3k + 3k (1k [max of C] * 3 [# of callers]) (A,B,C compete for this -- C out of Money)
SIDE2 = 4k + 4k (2 * 2) (A,B for this pot)
SIDE3 = 1k (B competes for this -- automatically wins this one)

So then you check the pots against the people that can win them.

As for the All-In, I think you guys are talking about the same thing, the all-in b/c you have no money left so you should get a chance to win the pot and not the No Limit hold'em all in. If you've put a lot of money in the pot already, I think you should get a chance to win the pot, not just have to automatically fold because soemone's put in more money than you.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

I didnt say that the joker thing was 'wrong'

I said I thought it was lame. (my personal oppinion, but still)

I also think limit poker is lame...(my personal oppinion again)

Im not saying that it sucks. Im just saying I prolly wont play the new poker if those two things are involved. Just the way I feel, and you said that we should speak out if the game isnt going to get played.

The game isnt going to get played by me.

I also didnt realise that you were implimenting it...I had thought you were going to keep it as is.

I think you should go to pokerstars.net (or something) and just play some holdem. Play some no limit holdem, its all free I think ( I cant remember the site I used to use that was free, but from the comercials, they say this one is a free site). Just sit down, have some fun. Generaly a bunch of people go all in on the first hand, (kinda lame, but since its free its the only thing to expect).

Go play for a couple hours, and it will speak to you. Its really really hard to explain just 'what' all in is.

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:

My ideas:

Highcard- last resort if you don't have anything else (one pair, two of a kind, etc.).

Wild cards- speaks for itself.

The ability to gamble items as well- the code would probably look similar to the auction code.

Wait out adreneline to enter and then have a peace flag on the room. Or a mob to force or push the abusful players (both the attacker and attacked- first using the peace command, because players can't move while fighting (if forced) and I'm not sure if players can/should be pushed if they're fighting another player who will be pushed in the same direction as well (I'm not sure if it would cause a continued/reinitiated fight with a yell- meaning that the attacked player could get into trouble for simply being attacked)) out of the room so as not to interfere with the game with attack messages.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Gygh wrote:
The ability to gamble items as well- the code would probably look similar to the auction code.

Problems:
- align/ethos/race/gender/level-restricted items
- someone already has the item you're trying to gamble
- someone has no need or interest in the item you're trying to gamble

Possible solutions:
- simply don't allow gambling of items
- if you gamble an item, Poker Dealer converts the item to a gold value; if the person who gambled the item wins the hand, they get their item back, if someone else wins the hand, they get the gold equivalent added to the pot, and the item poofs (doing it this way instead of giving the item-gambler the gold back will keep people from throwing crap on the table just to get gold instead of selling it at shopkeepers or using auction)

It's going to be a helluva lot easier and less headache to simply keep it as "gold-only," at least for the time being. Though it would be funny to see a showdown ending with people gambling their pets or sweet unique/rare items...

Gygh wrote:
Wait out adreneline to enter and then have a peace flag on the room. Or a mob to force or push the abusful players (both the attacker and attacked- first using the peace command, because players can't move while fighting (if forced) and I'm not sure if players can/should be pushed if they're fighting another player who will be pushed in the same direction as well (I'm not sure if it would cause a continued/reinitiated fight with a yell- meaning that the attacked player could get into trouble for simply being attacked)) out of the room so as not to interfere with the game with attack messages.

The Mockers Tavern rooms should all be marked as Herald rooms, meaning that Heralds should be able to call their bouncers and bar people from the Tavern. That, along with Justices, should be enough to dissuade violence except for the ones that are "feelin' lucky".

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Was off being my lurker self but a number of things jumped out at me here.

1. Limit poker is great, just like NL. Just a different flavor. Also, this already isn't limit now in that you aren't stuck with a fixed bet. You can choose any bet/raise amount in between the minimum and maximum, so theres still a good deal of flexibility there. I like the idea of a max raise. Perhaps 1.5x the big blind instead of 1x though?

As far as all-ins, you don't need to go NL and let people go all-in whenever. Instead, I think what people are trying to get across is the importance of protecting someone who has run out of money in a hand. You simply cannot have someone fold because sorry, they can't match the bet.

2. No Darkhaven! No one congregates there and people won't start because of poker. With poker at Seringale you should actually be able to get a game at a decent rate hopefully. It also adds one more thing that reinforces Seringale's role as the central hub and center of activity which is good for a number of reasons. Seringale is just a great location for a game like this.

Last edited by Slade on Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 pm; edited 3 times in total

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
you're playing poker within a larger game. All the talk about "all-in should be allowed" is great, up until the first time a thief walks in, looks at the table to see who's got the 100k, then goes blackjack/gold-steal crazy.

I agree entirely and I don't think anyone is trying to dispute that. In fact, I think it would still be great if a thief walked in and blackjacked someone who had the most amount of money and 'tried his luck'. That adds to the fact that it is a larger game and keeps it in perspective for players who only log in to play poker. Conversly, players who only log into play poker are actually rp'ing a card hussler quite well. This may even raise the level of bards who wander the game, as 'card' playing could almost be seen as a bard esque talent.

While I am on the topic of bards, maybe some gambling related songs could be traded out for less used songs. These songs would not only be card related, but any sort of gambling. *shrug* Toss it around, see what you think.

Quote:
wild card" poker is an existing poker format called "Joker's wild", they use it on the slots, because it makes strong hands easier. I found it researching poker

I am going to have to agree with crazyhorse here, my feeling is that wild card poker is a bit boring, but to each his or her own. If its easier to implement wild cards, crap go for it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

Well I'll just do a special wild-poker for darkhaven then at some point. I like variety. The blackjack game already taught me that you need to get the vanilla version working before trying anything unique on top.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

More updates:

Name of game is "Whirlwind Poker". This is to fit in with the Serin-"Gale" roleplay.

Folding has been recoded so that folded players stay in the game and join in on the next round. This required considerable overhaul and was necessary to do before all-ins would be possible. So we'll wait a bit first, if you see games bugging out because you folded..then let me know about it asap.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Last update for a bit, all-in's are turning out a lot more complicated than I expected so this is a "working fix".

1) Max raise has been raised to 1.5 * big blind. e.g. big blind 1000 = 1500. If the math is hard for you, you can try thinking of it as 3 * small blind.

2) Transactions are banned in the room when games are in progress, no dropping gold, no giving gold, etc.

3) If you idle on the table when its your turn for too long, you'll get kicked off.

4) New "Whirlwind Round". This is the working fix for all-ins.

If you raise, and the amount is sufficient enough to put the least rich bankrupt, your raise is lowered to whatever they have. The round then becomes the whirlwind round, instead of being flop,river, etc. You can call, or fold as usual, but you can't raise in the whirlwind round. At the end of the whirlwind round, all cards are dealt to the table, and a winner is judged. In addition, if someone finishes the whirlwind round broke, they'll be kicked off the table.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Jaloro says 'Taere has bet a small blind of 1000 coins.'
Jaloro says 'Pynethen, please bet the big blind, 2000 coins.'
Jaloro says 'Pynethen has bet the big blind, so it is the first betting round. Here's the pocket cards.'
Jaloro hands Pynethen two cards.
Jaloro hands Zarat two cards.
Jaloro hands Taere two cards.
Jaloro says 'Zarat, you may call, raise or fold.'

Jaloro says 'Zarat has called. Taere, you may call, raise or fold.'
Jaloro says 'Taere has raised the maximum investment by 3000 gold.'
Jaloro says 'Pynethen, you may call, raise or fold.'

Jaloro says 'Pynethen has raised the maximum investment by 3000 gold.'

Zarat falls down laughing.
Taere falls to the ground and rolls around laughing hysterically.
Jaloro says 'Taere, you may call, raise or fold.'
Pynethen snickers softly.

Zarat falls to the ground and rolls around laughing hysterically.

Jaloro says 'It is not your turn to bet.'

[HERALD] Thremus the Doorman gossips 'Greetings Serathi. Welcome to the tavern.'
The town clock tolls once as the evening begins.
Serathi walks in.
Serathi utters the words, 'sfainfrauzz gpuzre'.
Serathi is surrounded by a protective shell of magic.
Serathi utters the words, 'qcandusahz gsfuio'.
Serathi utters the words, 'qcandusahz gsfuio'.
A magical spring flows from the ground.
Serathi drinks water from a magical spring.
Sythgriman auctions 'Is there NOTHING for sale?'
Serathi utters the words, 'qcandusahz yaae'.
A Magic Mushroom suddenly appears.

Serathi gets a Magic Mushroom.
Serathi eats a Magic Mushroom.

Jaloro says 'Zarat has raised the maximum investment by 3000 gold.'
Serathi sits down at the poker table.
Jaloro says 'This game has started, but you can view the table and play next game.'

Jaloro says 'Taere has called. Pynethen, you may call, raise or fold.'
The white aura around Serathi fades.

Jaloro says 'Feel free to play later!'
Serathi stands up.
Serathi utters the words, 'gaiqhjabral'.
Serathi is surrounded by a white aura.

Serathi sits down at the poker table.
Jaloro says 'This game has started, but you can view the table and play next game.'

Taere says 'Zarat is running out.'
Pynethen agrees absolutely.
Zarat peers around himself intently.

Zarat sighs.
Taere throws back his head and cackles with insane glee!

Code:

> look table
( )==========================================================================( )
 |                                                                            |
 |      $38000                                                                |
 |    Taere (o)             -                   -                  -          |
 |      $17293                      $195000                                   |
 |     * Zarat                                                     -          |
 |      $37372                                                                |
 |     Pynethen                                                    -          |
( )--------------------------------------------------------------------------( )

Quote:

Zarat says 'Evil.'

Pynethen says 'Just fold.'

Jaloro says 'Zarat can't cover, so time for the whirlwind!'
Jaloro says 'Pynethen has raised the maximum investment by 2293 gold.'

Jaloro says 'Zarat, you may call or fold.'
Pynethen falls to the ground and rolls around laughing hysterically.
Zarat says 'Not now.'
Taere says 'Just fold? haha.'
Pynethen says 'Just fold.'
[HERALD] Odile the Crier: 'The winds welcome your return, Derangea the Mistress of Black Magic.'

Jaloro says 'Zarat has called. Taere, you may call or fold.'

Jaloro says 'Taere has called. This round is now over.'
Jaloro says 'Here comes the whirlwind!'
Jaloro deals the Jack of Diamonds to the middle of the table.
Jaloro deals the Eight of Hearts to the middle of the table.
Jaloro deals the Eight of Diamonds to the middle of the table.
Jaloro deals the Four of Diamonds to the middle of the table.
Jaloro deals the Six of Clubs to the middle of the table.
Jaloro says 'The table cards are the Six of Clubs, the Four of Diamonds, the Eight of Diamonds, the Eight of Hearts and the Jack of Diamonds.'
Jaloro says 'Pynethen has the Nine of Spades and the Ace of Diamonds.'
Jaloro says 'Zarat has the King of Clubs and the Ten of Spades.'
Jaloro says 'Taere has the Queen of Clubs and the Queen of Spades.'
Jaloro says 'Taere wins with two pairs.'
Jaloro says 'He receives the pot of 237879 gold coins. A new round begins now.'

Jaloro says 'You have less than the required gold, leave my table.'
Jaloro says 'Pynethen, please make a bet.'
A gust of wind picks Zarat up, blowing him out of the room!
Jaloro says 'Poker begins when Serathi bets a small blind, 250 to 1000 coins.'
Taere throws back his head and cackles with insane glee!
[HERALD] Thremus the Doorman gossips 'Greetings Malikent. Welcome to the tavern.'

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: