Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 5 hours.

Best description EVER!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaedon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Best description EVER!!!

I love this description. Can't resist posting it.

A tall agile Elf Invoker with a fair clothed figure. Fair night black
hair flows down past his shoulders. Dark blue colored eyes with a look of
proudness within them. With a strong stature he looks as though he could
frighten the goblin king. His face is worn with scars from age old battles
that have inspired legends.

As though he could frighten the goblin king<== Very Happy

0 0 0
Kessor Natul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Shocked

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

I see lots of people with descriptions that talk about how you feel about them or that they have a sword at their side and stuff. some of them are in cabals too, Im confused about the description rules now..

0 0 0
DarkFire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:

i think that how you feel about them is bad, I mean if you kill them and their description says that you are scared of them kinda contradicts each other, but like haveing a robe, cloths or rings stuff like that is ok in my eyes, but I know some that like to have a weapon that is like a family heriloem (i know i cant spell) or somthing passed down from one famliy member to another

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

Uhm, well...

I'd say so long as a description does not impose on someone else's RP it can be worked with. A description I just recently wrote in part describes a suit of leather armor beneath the armor seen in EQ. I think as long as something is well written, unique and thoughtful it's good.

0 0 0
Elaedon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject:

no, im not making fun of him. I'd much rather see scares the goblin king than scares Xanthak the lich king, which is out of the question. it's actually really original, and kinda humble. Seriously unintendedly good desc for someone new

0 0 0
gr8mage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject:

Erlwith wrote:
Uhm, well...

I'd say so long as a description does not impose on someone else's RP it can be worked with. A description I just recently wrote in part describes a suit of leather armor beneath the armor seen in EQ. I think as long as something is well written, unique and thoughtful it's good.

um well does this suit of armor protect you? since it is leather armor under eq armor it should be giving you bonuses to ac right?

Quote:
Each line should be no longer than 80 characters. They should be lined up
nice and neatly, for easier reading.

Your description should only contain what we see when we look at you, no
actions of any sort and no telling us how we feel or what we think.

Write as descriptive and detailed as possible. An example would be, instead
of just "He has black hair." you can write much more, such as, "His long black
hair curls at its edges and bounces noticeably with every slight movement of
his head."

Armor and weapons should not be metioned at all. The only clothing you may
mention are small things, a ring, a symbol and other such things.

After all the physical characteristics, you can then add some abstract stuff.
"He is poised with strength and confidence." Things such as how they walk, or
the sound of their voice are also allowed, but it should not say that you ARE
walking or that you ARE speaking.

History and purpose should not be included. These are things best left to
your interaction with others - your roleplay.

Don't over exaggerate your looks and features. Try not to use extremes such
as huge breasts or huge bulging muscles. Describe yourself in a more unique
manner, and stay away from stereotypical hunk/babe type, or the death machine
looks. Don't just pick a generic look, try to create something you would find
interesting to roleplay.

Enjoy describing to the world what your character looks like, the more
descriptive you imagine him/her, the more fun it will be making that evil
witch/dashing hero/clumsy giant come alive.

gee i got this from the most amazing of places. a helpfile!

I recently poked around a mud which is heavier RP than here, and their requirement is 4 lines long because they allow only physical appearance and attributes, hence the word description. what a concept.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject:

Well, the reasons for why you shouldn't have "feelings" or equipment in descriptions are pretty obvious:

- Feelings: You can't tell someone how they feel or react to other things. What scares one person might make someone else laugh hysterically. Reactions to your character's appearance will be different based on the other character's roleplay.

- Equipment: What happens when you get killed and full-looted? You suddenly don't have that "silk gossamer robe" or "ruby-encrusted scabbard" on anymore, even though you don't when you wear equipment anyway. The reason for not having equipment in descriptions is because, quite frankly, you don't really have that equipment. If you want things like "heritage" to be reflected in your character, use tattoos, piercings, body mutilations (not necessarily horrific stuff), etc. Equipment will be seen when someone looks at what you're wearing.

0 0 0
DarkFire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject:

im sure if you look at a mage and it says he wears a simple red,blue green whatever color robe, its not gonna change that much its just a part of what a mage would wear I am sure just look at the equipment he does have on and see him decked out in warrior looking armor kinda might look a bit funny

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject:

I'm not aware of what requirements that our description Imms are appyling right now, I'll just comment this. If I saw a four line desc, and I liked it, I'd definitely be ok with that from a level 15 character. Its because of the way "length" ties in with "prestige". (In fact, an overblown long description can be just as bad for the environment as a 4 line one, and I've seen that point reached.)

If a character is part of a cabal, or going to high levels, then just like mobs, everyone expects a longer, more detailed desc, to help communicate that extra prestige. You wouldnt expect a 2 line desc on the grandmaster of winter, would you? That's why the Gateway of Thera has a 20 line desc (or whatever it is), because its such an important place. It's why miden'nir and plains of the north are allowed to have 2 line descs, because who cares. Seringale guildhalls on the other hand, are foot-long ones, to communicate, hey look, this room has importance! Length is an extra layer of info beyond the text. We also use color to communicate importance, but we usually dont do that with descriptions.

I looked at help description (which I also wrote) and I saw this:

Quote:
A description appears when other players look at you, just before they
see your equipment. It should contain physical characteristics ONLY
actions, emotions, history, and purpose are to be left to interactions
with others.

I didnt bother to review description2, as its detail for people who are struggling with construction of descriptions, and I don't think the lowbie imms enforce any of those guidelines. If they were, they shouldnt be. When I was on desc duty, I taught people other tricks that aren't in that list, for example a "narrowing focus", where you begin by describing the glance, and zero in gradually towards the eyes, like a movie. I also told them about the golden ratio (a famously aesthetically pleasing ratio from geometry, which you'll no doubt have seen used in the construction of tv sets, buildings, Burzuk posts *, and so forth). I might just rewrite it.

* books

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject:

There's a line in being careful with your description and being too picky and to one extreme, anal.

Nothing is absolute, no one's description is flawless. Everyone has something in their description that at some point will be misleading or incorrect.

Eye color - What if you're sleeping?
Height - what if you're sitting?

Telling people how they feel, or what they think is simply bad form. But adding things to your character that ONLY affects your character isn't hurting anyone and it can add flavor to RP. I mean, this is a game and I do think there must be a balance between what makes sense and what is fun and interesting in a fantasy setting.

If we went by the strictest of rules on what to put in a desc and what not to, we'd all have the same desc.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

No I believe that under the strictest rules, the true creativity of players would shine.

I've always believed in the statement of "Swim, or drown". The need to survive, then perform under pressure in a harsh environment will cause the greatest improvements one will be able to make compared to any other situations.. However the actual learning process of how to swim is actually the most important stage (time taken floundering to survive before the actual swim). Blah that's just for me shoo don't harass me.

0 0 0
Static Impulse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:

For me almost all my descs. have a mention of some sort of clothing and even maybe a weapon or two. I always thought that it you saw anyone walking around in the completely mismatched clothes they are wearing in EQ it would be really bizzare... I mean seriously, who would wear a stained traveling cloak, then a cloak of skin, a pair of blue steel pants, and a some bright red steel vambraces. Throw in a serpent tressed wig and a pair of goblins leggings(which would be a bit too small unless it's one really big goblin or you're a halfling/gnome or something) and you have one funky looking dude. Unless being a crazy person was part of your RP, your character wouldn't be caught dead wearing such strange combinations of clothes. I especially like when paladins or other Light sanctioned classes are wearing things that would better fit an evil char such as black horned helmet. I just use whatever they say they look like in their desc to make my visual.

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject:

I like what Erlwith and Static said, having too strict of rules would be lame, but we still need them and I see descs on level 25 chars that shouldnt have been alowed back when they were 15 all the time
and static maid sense with wearing all this miss matched eq, my char right now has one robe on, thats it, and I think it kind of lays out his personality better then it would if I took it out.

Also, instead of putting something like 'the way he walks makes you jump out of your socks' put something like 'he walks in a frightening way' then it is still saying he walks scary, but doesnt say it scares you, right?

0 0 0
Xazappith
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:

If you're really so concerned with how your charactor looks when someone looks at you, concerning your equipment, there are tons of stuff out there that you can wear to make your charactor look really well dressed. Easier for those who aren't active in PK, because most pretty looking things have little to no stats, but like I said, if you're really concerned, you could make an alias to change your clothes quickly. rem all; put all back; get all bag; wear all. or peice by peice, your call. Only problem youd run into is rares, but that could be solved by changing back into your fighting clothes before quitting out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject:

You can use the examine command to look at just someone's desc. That's a useful tool since otherwise it gets scrolled off by items.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:

The gaint beast before you is composed of a multilayered mass between two thick brown layers of what appears to be bread. The layers between shift between tomato red, hard onion white and a leafy green. Below, in all its charbrilled glory is a massive hunk of meaty goodness.

That's my favorite desc ever...

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: