Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 10 hours.

actively practicing skills vs. ranking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deauja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: actively practicing skills vs. ranking

when i am using skills like kick and developing the skill for the weapon i am wielding do i learn more if i fight difficult mobs, or would i learn my skills at the same rate fighting mobs that give me little to no XP?

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Improving skills/spells is affected by quite a few things, but the first thing is that skills/spells will improve the quickest at higher levels, i.e. you'll learn more quickly at rank 50 than you will at rank 15.

That being said, skill/spell improving is also affected by the rank difference of what you're practicing on - i.e. the closer in rank you are to what you're fighting, the quicker your skills will increase. This means that training a rank 30 warrior vs. hobgoblin soldiers won't be nearly as effective as training on something like butlers.

I'd say train while you rank, since you'll be fighting stuff at or above your rank.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject:

On that note, I've got a question. I've been using my skills while ranking, but shield block isn't going up for crap. I'm fighting alone on things that are giveing about 100xp or so and my shield block has only gone up two percent, while my dirt kick is almost mastered. WTF?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject:

thac0 miss

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:

thac0whatnow?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject:

e.g.

Code:
<350 hp 300 mana 230 mv>
A nymph's slap misses you.

<350 hp 300 mana 230 mv>
You awkwardly parry a nymph's attack.

If its a MISS, your defences don't get used, or trained.
AC is the first "defence" checked.

-------------------------
"thac0" represents your chance to hit a target with an armor rating of zero. Imagine you have a 20 sided die. The thac0 is the minimum amount you need to roll to be able to hit your opponent.

e.g. if you have an armor rating of -200 ac (superbly armored), your opponents thac0 might be like 15 or so, because your ac is so beefy. The good news is that this system breaks down as we let your natural defences take over. (else you'd need like 50 hitroll to keep up with the high level mobs)

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject:

In addition to the normal higher-by-level learning bonus, you'll also receive an additional (and rather sizable) boost to your learning rate at 50. I'd suggest powerleveling first, then do your training at 50. Dallying around in the 40's is for schmucks, at least when it comes to skill proficiencies -- unless you have more time to burn than sense to use, of course.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject:

With the dark knight the shield block barly goes up because the unholy armor improves, but dose the ammount of ac bonus you get from unholy armor ever go up? If not maybe that should start mastered, or dose unholy armor actually block attacks?

Confused Grayde Grim

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject:

IIRC, holy/unholy armor increases with the higher the weight of the armor that you wear, i.e. heavier armor = bigger bonus from holy/unholy armor.

I'll double-check that, but it should be in the HELP (UN)HOLY ARMOR helpfile.

*Edit - yeah, it's right in the helpfile:

HELP HOLY/UNHOLY ARMOR wrote:
* Wearing heavier items improve holy armor and unholy armor bonuses.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject:

Your level and skill proficiency also affects your holy/unholy armor bonus, but it's primarily based on your armor weight in the relevant slots. If you want the AC bonus (and the anti-lag bonuses, as well as any legacy bonuses), you definitely should be wearing heavier armors such as red dragons, etc.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject:

Can't very well powerrank to 50 if you're wating on Cabal induct.

0 0 0
Elaedon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Get one of those huge iron breastplates or whatever Rayor was using...It weighs 100 pounds, you'll have like -500 armor with just that Wink

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject:

And you'd probably not have space left for any other weapons and armor..

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:

Hey now! I had more than enough space to carry all of that... But then again, i suppose i am a giant after all. Helps to be able to carry all of that weight.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

yes I was always having trouble figuring out what weapons to keep or lose. thats where I got into trouble with drow dk . limited weapon selection because of weight concerns. I always used black tear because everything else was too heavy with the weapon selection I liked to have at my disposal for gaining combat/weapon superior. dks are warrior and mage after all, which means they need more weapons to fight well.. doesnt work so good with low carry capacity if you try going for high unholy armor with heavy stuff.

but maybe you should just have combat style superior with 1 two hand weap, a shield, and two one hand weapons, although you dont get concentrate or other warrior skills to make combat style worth much, but you wont get hobbled by a warrior I suppose..

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Burzuk wrote:
In addition to the normal higher-by-level learning bonus, you'll also receive an additional (and rather sizable) boost to your learning rate at 50. I'd suggest powerleveling first, then do your training at 50. Dallying around in the 40's is for schmucks, at least when it comes to skill proficiencies -- unless you have more time to burn than sense to use, of course.

Is this still valid? I haven't been able to find any changes listed in the forums to refute this (since the post is 4+ years old).

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject:

This is still the case. One thing to consider is the relative level of your character versus the mob you're training on. So in some cases, training at lvl 35 or 40 may be more productive than training at 50 if the mobs are low level. Training at level 50 against mobs of respectable level is your best bet. Note that the level difference is what makes ranking mobs such good training. As far as I know, this is still in line to be looked at and possibly revised.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Olyn. So if we want to practice skills effectively before pinnacling, make sure to do so against mobs close to our own level. Or put simply, if we're not getting any xp off of the mobs we're practicing on, we're practicing at a slower rate than against mobs who do give us xp.

0 0 0
Kaniyre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject:

So in the situation below, will training rate be the same or better assuming every factor is similar?

Level 26 Warrior fighting Level 28 mobs as compared to Level 26 Warrior fighting Level 30 mobs.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject:

yeah. release source code of game mechanics please.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: