Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 20 hours.

Time fro a change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deauja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Time fro a change

i am sitting here, i want to play but things have changed. what are some disadvantages of allowing only one connection at a time?:

1. in a public place, no one will ever be able to share the realms with another, limiting its real life sharing incidents.

2. Your not stopping people from multi play, i have seen it done, it is still possible to drop off equipment and pick it up ten minutes later with another character, or to hand it off and come back for it with another character.

3. the original reason for the change was not viable. A player was caught dropping off equipment and coming back for it ten minutes later with another character. stopping multi connections will not stop this.

4. people are generally upset by the change as opposed to being happy.

Advantages to the new rule?: open for contradiction

0 0 0
ekiru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Time fro a change

deauja wrote:
i am sitting here, i want to play but things have changed. what are some disadvantages of allowing only one connection at a time?:

1. in a public place, no one will ever be able to share the realms with another, limiting its real life sharing incidents.

Um... Hasn't it been changed so only certain ips can have only one connection at a time?

deauja wrote:

2. Your not stopping people from multi play, i have seen it done, it is still possible to drop off equipment and pick it up ten minutes later with another character, or to hand it off and come back for it with another character.

Is someone really going to leave a Kyer-Dirohm or Blood Filled Voulge or something powerful like that just lying around for ten minutes? I say, all power to them, because they aren't gonna still have a vorpal sword or blood filled voulge when they come back after 10 minutes.

deauja wrote:
3. the original reason for the change was not viable. A player was caught dropping off equipment and coming back for it ten minutes later with another character. stopping multi connections will not stop this.

It slows it down and limits the opportunities for multi-ing.

[qupte="deauja"]4. people are generally upset by the change as opposed to being happy.

Advantages to the new rule?: open for contradiction[/quote]

You also ignored another subset of multi-ing: connecting multiple chars in order to rank. The only people I have heard mentioning any disapproval of such a rule is someone who multies;, so, yeah, cheaters disapprove of such a rule. Again, I am fairly certain that the one connection at a time is currently reserved for ip's that have been caught multi-ing before.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:

No, not the only ones who multi are bitching... As an example, I remember someone posting about how his wife and him would like to play at the same time. Just one example, and thats the only one I have, but still. Not *everyone*.

If its just for people who have been caught multiing before... then I think that works. I know a few people *including myself* that deserve such treatment, and I do believe that is fair and well deserved. Perhaps if this isnt the case currently, it should be made that way. Is that possible?

The mud is a pretty big mud. I know of a lot of places I could leave a blood filled voulge for a week *assuming that its dropable (which it isnt), and no one would find it/walk into it.

A good reason someone might have to multi, is something like this. One of my buddies saw Vrakkus die, the goodies who killed him spammed take all corpse, and he picked up a good load of evil eq. He was level 8.

Now Im not saying thats a *good* reason, but a good reason if you are willing to multi. He wouldhave much prefered to have it on his 50 rather than on a level 8. (I am also not saying he did multi, but again, this is a good example of why someone would multi eq.)

I really like the idea of IP specific, but again, im not sure if that is possible to obtain.

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject:

if it is at all possible, i would like for the same ip thing to be removed, i have friends that play with me at the library, whenever i see them, i ask to play, i am sure that i dont know who my friends chars are, and i know i dont multi, but whenever i see them here, i get pissed because they are always here. if the ip thing was removed, i would be very grateful, by the way this is the best mud and it needs recognition, so for it whenever you get the chance, i would like to see it on the mudconnectors or anywhere elses #1 spot.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject:

Actually, I had originally asked Dav to apply oneconnect globally due to the abuses that people were doing with multi-connect. Dav decided however it would be better to apply one-connect on a case-by-case basis: currently, it only gets applied after some form of abuse, such as multi-rolling, multi-playing, etc.

The aim with the one-connect restriction isn't to eliminate multi -- that's something that can never be automated. Rather, it's for:

a) Reducing the number of multi methods available to repeat offenders;
b) Reducing the amount of time the Imm staff has to monitor multi-connections, since "trouble" sites are no longer able to multi-connect; and
c) Serve as an intermediary punishment instead of outright ban if the Imm handling a case decides to apply a one-connect in lieu of a ban.

If you don't like the current one-connect restrictions, we can always move back to my original directive, which was to place it mud-wide with no exceptions. That would score massive points with me in the b) department above in terms of Imm attention required, especially since I'm always looking for ways to make life easier for my Imms (including myself, of course). If there are any changes to be made in the one-connect restrictions right now, going to global would be the only other possibililty, so think carefully before asking us to change our current policy -- lifting one-connect altogether is NOT an option. If you're currently playing under a one-connect restriction, someone from your site has already screwed up, and if it weren't for the one-connect restriction your site may have already been banned instead. So you need to take things into perspective when you look at one-connect.

All I can say is, read the rules thoroughly. We have very, very limited tolerance for those who break them.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: