Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 11 hours.

illithid class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: illithid class

I think its unfair having illithids only getting one class among other races but i'll stick with this first. I think illithids should get another class like necromancer or invoker or something it just narrows down possibilities of <RP> what ideas you got.?

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject:

they USED to be able to be psionicists, but they were removed.
Illithids are a powerful race in my opinion, don't want to give them something that they will just own with. However, I do agree with you, I would like to see more options also. Same for werebeast, and maybe sliths and minotaurs. Just a thought. any for them in sight?

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject:

Like I said stick with illithid for now. I think it is total bullshit that theres all these races but no class options a slith berserker might be cool shit like that and it shouldn't be too hard. As for illithids you don't get a weapon why not have some golems or make well theres not too many mage classes but a invoker might be pretty sweet all that many and some nice spells and sanc that might be overpowered.

0 0 0
Altheripper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject:

Slith rangers were raw. That's why they're gone. Illithid invoker would be pretty hardcore.

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject:

Yeah but a necromancer is almost the same thing as a illusionist instead of phantasmal griffon you get flesh golem, instead of illusionary spectre you get stone golem, instead of duplicate you get animate corpse and instead of prismatic spray you get acid blast that kind of even without the hunt down spells like gate just my opinion.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject:

I'd like to see illithid get another class. In favor of expanded combos (not too much) in general. The problem is most either don't make sense or are unbalanced.

Some that I think could work:

Half-Elf Ninja
Half-Elf Thief
Werebeast Warrior
Illithid Necromancer (doesn't make tons of sense, but neither does illusionist for them, so why not? invoker has a slight weapons flavor as far as mages go so thats out)
Avian Dark-Knight (no dodge kills the old balance issues)
Slith Berserker (wouldn't be that massive of a stretch, and less balance issues than ranger)
Minotaur Warrior (no charge/any extra perks, still probably a bit strong but I think every race should have at least two classes to choose from)

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject:

Soldier wrote:
Yeah but a necromancer is almost the same thing as a illusionist instead of phantasmal griffonyou get flesh golem,

Which lasts indefinately, as opposed to phantasmal griffons two tick generalness.

Quote:
instead of illusionary spectre you get stone golem,

See above

Quote:
instead of duplicate you get animate corpse

Again, see above. Duplicate has no cooldown timer, and the illusions only last about 20 ticks, at most. Animate corpse, 24 tick cooldown, regardless of if you fail or not, BUT, the zombies last until you quit out.

Quote:
and instead of prismatic spray you get acid blast that kind of even without the hunt down spells like gate just my opinion.

Gate is there to facilitate quick hunting and escape, as Illusionists are one-hit wonders.

As to why Illithids can only be one class....The Imps decided that was best. Yes, they could be Psis, yes, they were ungodly powerful as Psis. They're not the only race that is limited to one class option. They're not the only one's that used to have more. Minotaurs used to be able to be warriors, Sliths could be monks and rangers, Illithids could be Psis, Werebeasts could be druids.

You'll notice that all of the above are once again single class races, they were designed to be such, and gained significant bonuses because of it. More than likely, they will remain solo-guilders until I'm 80 and toothless.

Just one man's opinion.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject:

okay, this is all basicly on logicalities and rp,
half-elf thief - makes sense, most are outcast from society, or something like that.
half-elf ninja makes a little less sense to me, though that is after all, just me.
werebeast warr - perhaps.
Illithid necro, -a bit of sense. yes, I can see that.
Avian DK - yes, makes sense to me.
Slith berserker - makes very little sense to me. I can't imagin an angry lizard guy, then again, just me.
Mino warr - I have always thought they shouldn't have gotten rid of them.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject:

If you think necro is same as illusionist then you've obviously never been slept. Illusionists just try to assassinate you with dispel and then gate when their dupes fade. That's pretty much all they do. Necromancers are a lot scarier than that, considering they have perm-charmies and vamp touch, sleep, etc. The fact they dont have gate or temporary buff charmies makes it hard to play them straight up like an illus though.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Sliths, minotaurs, and werebeasts were designed to be class-specific when they were implemented over purge -- one for each pure fighting class, you'll notice. While I was away, the interim imps opened them up to other classes, which they should not have. (If that's what Stryth and I had wanted, we would've made it that way to begin with.) Now that those three races been restored to their original purpose, do not expect them to be opened up to other classes again.

There'll be some race/class/ethos changes in the next two modules (afflictive and religion). They'll cut both ways -- some race/class/ethos combinations will be restricted, while new combinations will be opened up. No, they'll not be announced ahead of time: you'll find out once they go in.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm just wondering, why be so secretive about the new stuff to come out?

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

And when will that be exactly?

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, we tried announcing things ahead of time -- for example, changes to fly (trip/dirt related) and curse weapon (can't remove by lowering str anymore). People just complained about the changes without even having seen them, bitched about our reasoning, etc.

It's not about being secretive, it's just that experience has demonstrated that no good things and only bad things for us comes out of pre-announcing. If I were to say "once we're done with legacy A and B, combo X will be available", I wouldn't get a "thank for the head's up". No, I'd get the "legacies A/B is too strong/weak" complaints even before they go in, as well as "why not try legacies C/D instead", "if we have combo X we have to allow combo Y as well", as well as my perennial favorite, "it's been three days, where are my legacies A/B and combo X???"

At the end of the day, the changes won't affect you until they've been implemented, anyway -- knowing about upcoming legacies A/B won't let you use them any earlier, for instance. We've given you some broad ideas about what's in store (discrete change modules, etc) and that's as specific as we need to get, really.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Alright, I was just curious Smile

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: