Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 10 hours.

Class Guides

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Class Guides

I'm looking for contribution to guides for:

* ranger
* berserker

There's already a warrior one but another (or contributing to existing) doesn't hurt. Anyway, guides for these classes would be good for the webpage, so if anyone thinks they know their stuff.. nows your chance to prove it.

0 0 0
Esura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:

Yes, someone please tell this newbie ranger what she's supposed to do in a PK situation against a spellcaster with shield? With just one little spell they've nullified seven of my skills (all the bow skills plus dirt kicking). Then with weapon ward the only other strategic offensive option, disarm (and dual disarm and shield disarm) go out the window. I've heard people telling me to flee and then try to catch them with those spells down, but I don't really envision that happening since they only need to put up ONE spell and it lasts for a pretty long time.

Not really complaining, just trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:

Dual wield (6 attacks) + 2 pets (4 attacks) vs poor defenses. Flee murder flee.

0 0 0
Esura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject:

So does that mean when it comes to spellcasters, all those fancy, fun-looking skills are meaningless and warrior-type classes should rely solely on brute strength? That doesn't sound very fun. One of the things that stood out about AR to me was the diversity of the skills even for warriors. I don't see the purpose of shield in terms of game depth. Why do we have a skill that makes fights LESS interesting (for rangers anyway).

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject:

Turn it around, Esura: if you were playing a spellcaster, how attractive would your character be if you had to deal with a ranger's brute-force advantage in addition to all her bow skills on top of that?

I have a feeling if you were to play a spellcaster, you'd suddenly feel that weapon ward lasts way too short, and fly scrolls are way too expensive, and protective shield is way too mana intensive in long dragged-out fights, and...

Sure, rangers can't use their bow skills against a prepared spellcaster, just like warriors can't bash and hobble one, either. But mages are hard to play compared to a warrior or ranger. If you don't believe me, try one yourself and see. The best way to learn is to try out the other side.

The game changes a lot as you gain more playing experience. If you can cultivate a sense of perspective, it'll go a long way to helping you enjoy the learning process more.

0 0 0
Esura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject:

Alright, I get what you're saying. So it's not really a balance issue I'm talking about anymore, but in terms of how interesting certain classes are...

The current skill set for warrior-type classes are all really cool, and landing a called shot on high-level mob is pretty fun, but am I mistaken in thinking that playing a mage class is a lot more fun in PK? Maybe I'd suck at it, but I suck at PK as it is and that doesn't turn me off of this game.

I just might take your advice and try a spellcaster... Typically in the muds that I have played in the past I liked being more of a physical class because EVERYONE was a fancy pants mage just so they could pretend they were cool while blowing stuff up with fireballs. Actually, I wanted to try a rogue class next but I hear all of these complaints about rogues being underpowered, and the impression I get from imps is "Be patient young one, the day of the rogue will come later." Should I hold off on a rogue?

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Sure, rangers can't use their bow skills against a prepared spellcaster, just like warriors can't bash and hobble one, either. But mages are hard to play compared to a warrior or ranger. If you don't believe me, try one yourself and see. The best way to learn is to try out the other side.

No truer words...

0 0 0
gomer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject:

clifton - your flee murder tactic doesnt work as well with rangers because when you flee your pets flee and they dont always flee the same way you do.

davairus - do you want us to post here or e-mail you?

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject:

I hear a lot about this flee murder tactic on spell casters. And it works to an end I find, personally. On shamans and clerics, it's sub-par, on illusionists it's hard if they're smart with illusions, which leaves invokers and necros.

I find it easiest to combine as many saves and as much hitroll as you can muster and go brute force all the way.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Against a spellcaster/shaman.. it's more of timing your own sanc, than timing their attacks.. catch yourself with no sanc (purple potions) for a round and good luck to 30% of your hp.

Though it goes the same for a mage.. but hey, I hear people saying about how short weapon ward lasts.. I've been caught myself without weapon ward/protective shield for a bit, well it hurt for that bit, but for the rest of the day.. it's weapon ward galore. It all depends on how you turn the situation in your favour.

0 0 0
gr8mage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I think if we chose a more wikipedia style like way of doing it, class guides would accumulate faster.

I personally propose having a place for each class, where other players can add to a do/dont list.

Ex: Warrior.
DO wear hitroll and damroll against other physical fighter types, i.e. thieves, rangers, etc.
DONT try to pk naked.

afterward, someone whos fairly knowledgeable in the specific class could compilate the list into a guide.

Pros of this. youre drawing on all the resources and every viewpoint of every player who has used or been beaten down by a certain class. Any faulty information given will be corrected by a more knowledgeable player.

Cons. possible flaming. less knowledgeable players refusing to admit theyre wrong if they give incorrect advice, no matter if they have played 1 month or 1 decade.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

gr8mage: For the sake of making it easier to submit guides and whatnot, I understand why you're suggesting an "everybody can edit and submit" idea for the player guides. However, as you also mentioned, everybody and their brother would be throwing in their $0.02 worth of bad or inaccurate information, and pretty soon the guides wouldn't be worth anything at all.

If you want to submit player-written guides and you'd like to keep it anonymous, send them in an email to abandonedrealms@gmail.com (it's checked by the implementors).

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Rangers are cute fluffy scavengers of the earth. With their various pets, ducks and squirrels they can be a force to be reckoned with, throwing their carved steaks at anyone with a pulse. When they're feeling less aggressive, they can be found carving tree branches and bushes into powerful ranger bows to which they can attach daisies, tulips or other sorts of flowers to. However rangers are not all about bows, dual wielding is expert in the hands of a talented ranger, since they have the dexterity to apply their enhanced damage to their offhand. That's right, never before has Thera seen the damage capacity rendered by a twig wielding ranger with a rubber chicken in his offhand.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

who's doing the ranger one, i can offer some insight into that up to like level 45, but at 50 i won't be able to give good advice against warriors and berserkers. all others though are relatively easy to spell out.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:

Ok lots of interest in ranger. I guess whoever has had a high level pk'ing ranger post-changes would be best person to do it.

0 0 0
nomorals

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

So... did any of these go up?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject:

Here's your berserker guide.

Code:

<--- RAGE <---no  <---  ROAR  <-- no
      |            |  |               |
      |      yes   |  |     yes       |
  HOBBLED? -----> RAGED?  ------>  ROARED? ----> BODYSLAM

A pk one isn't that much harder - just cut/paste warrior guide and add "rage when almost dead".

I did some work on a ranger guide, after rolling one up for 50. I ended up putting it in storage because of some weirdness, i.e.:

* bows are "inferior" to one-handed (which is defensive) so you get hobbled easily by a warrior in that matchup. Its still a much easier win than dual wielding, whatever the prompts say. You should stick with bow in that situation.

* shield disarming a warrior using dual wield (the recommended style for shield disarm) makes him overbear, which gives him combat advantage instantly. The best way to go here is to do a regular disarm, not a shield disarm, hope the double disarm kicks in, I'm not sure whether you want to just dirt first because the duration is supposedly short. But right now its usually pointless to disarm without dirting, so what can I say. In addition this means I'd be advising people to grab weapon advantage instead of combat style, and rangers have concentration so it seems like weapon advantage shouldnt be so big a priority. But disarm a big part of their game plan so I'd have to say do so.

* wounding shot (finisher?) - it (A) requires you to initiate, (B) has a chance to miss, and (C) does absolutely 0 damage, for (D) 2 rounds lag (may be wrong but it might be longer than they lag). And its blocked by shield blocks/prot shield.. etc. I figured I might as well never use it, dual wield murders instead if winning. In fact the only time I actually got one off, it was a failure anyway. Is that healthy? Up to you to be the judge. I'd advise just dual wield murders with present shot, especially since rangers get the enhanced damage bonus on dual wield.

* rangers used to have "throw", a high-damage non-lagging skill, losing a weapon limited it to a good finisher, and "call lightning", another nice damage spell. Nowadays it seems like your most common killing technique is limited to spam dirt/disarm til you just luck the whole thing and they flee themselves to death. Used to run people down with murders and finish them with throw, which is gone now, so they're a pretty difficult finisher besides the dirts. Kinda like paladins with nicer dual wield.

* Besides that, there's other strange strats I found like, retreat behind your pet when they miss dirt, dirt them so they wont flee, then plug them with an uber "called shot"... That's a bit odd, and I wasn't sure if it was really intended.

* on the other hand rangers are still sorta good at opening battles with leading shot, using camo to get the jump on the unsuspecting guy (that isnt wearing a shield) is relatively easy. Then all you need is keep them busy with flee lag from dirt. They can gank

* Eventually youre going to meet some warrior with polearm/ flail overbear and then you won't have much shot at a disarm either, but you do get to try bow vs two-handed (theoretically should win this with point blank parry bonus.. but I've tried it and lost so badly that I'm sure it doesnt.. I think that's broken myself, but not up to me so).. -I forgot to add you can't just shield block for an advantage here because of the instant switch/barrage/ ownage (especially from overbear flail). Right now my best advice against that is "this is your only option, suck it" because that's what rangers are like.

* taming raged berserkers works (has worked since Jalkut was around), I'm not sure if that was something everyone should know about.

* pet-gathering/maintaining techniques are ideal guide material for anyone who wants something besides a boar/wolf combo, wasnt sure if we just want better helpfiles there though.. nobody needs guide to barkskin..

* parting shot seemed like another waste of a practice, nobody with a brain is going to just stand there motionless with no shield while you spam parting shot flees! Meaning it sometimes works.

* shield block w/ quick volley was another weird one. Wear a shield to get free hits when your opponent flees? You'd have to catch him fleeing first. I found myself just doing dual wield/murders and the ever-popular dirt for lag. I honestly never used a javelin in a pk.

So summary:

dual wield: very good, as long as you aren't blown away by overhead, use it against anyone who can't deal with the huge damage well, get them fleeing, because you've got a really good murder with that.
shield block: gimped by barrage, in-combat attacks are the weakest of any style so they probably won't give you any volleys, but who knows
two-handed: bows are ok but compare it to overhead crush - you dont even have a bow skill like that - and shield block shuts them down too... you want to whip these bad boys out for a few rounds and mostly keep it mothballed.
...why not just play a warrior for the "excellent" two-handed attack then? Or the barrage/bow technique. Or a ninja for the dusts and easier to use stealth.

Why am I not posting a guide? Because there are some changes to be done that will be changing this picture. I've not forgotten about it though.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:

* bows are "inferior" to one-handed (which is defensive) so you get hobbled easily by a warrior in that matchup. Its still a much easier win than dual wielding, whatever the prompts say. You should stick with bow in that situation.

Uh, what? Shield alone is pretty good against bow. And yeah, they can hobble you. Also nasty but direly underused is volley (manual), which would tear you up quickly.

If you were at a decent dex advantage (likely if you are fearing overheads) I might try dual wield -> dirt. To play it safe instead, just flash dual wield for like a second to try to bait an overhead and rewield shield or bow quickly. Or go dual wield and order all rescue self. Quickly switch to shield when they flee and they'll probably initiate overhead against you when they come back (better, observant players).

Davairus wrote:

Disarm blah blah.

I was never a big disarm guy but I wouldn't criticize someone for arguing for it or trying it. I don't know if ranger dirt length makes it worth it, though you probably aren't doing much else in combat after a dirt anyway save for waiting for a flee, making sure your advantage or style or whatever you are after is good, or maybe order all rescue self. I could see someone trying the no dirt, old ghetto paladin I have nothing else worth doing in combat so I'll try this disarm (basically wait for other guy to lag himself with something harmless, i.e you blocked an overhead, he missed a dirt, maybe he landed a dirt, whatever doesnt hugely threaten you and the instant it happens you try disarm for like 2 rounds of effect if successful).

Davairus wrote:

Nowadays it seems like your most common killing technique is limited to spam dirt/disarm til you just luck the whole thing and they flee themselves to death.
Besides that, there's other strange strats I found like, retreat behind your pet when they miss dirt
on the other hand rangers are still sorta good at opening battles with leading shot. Then all you need is keep them busy with flee lag from dirt.

Ignoring disarm which I never bothered much with, ranger to me is

1. mainly style advantage and dirt (particularly if its bow vs. dual wield!)

2. lots of flee/murders - you are loaded with offense and flee murders are going to rack up the hurt. you have to keep your pets with you as you do it (collect them) but its not that hard.

3. abuse of order all rescue self at the right times (its not going to fail like retreat unless pets are blinded, can use any weapon setup unlike retreat).. honestly rescue is broken on rangers, they are buff offensively and defensively and dont need it.. if you get someone smart that really knows how to abuse and does it a lot, people would start complaining before long

4. various situational little things
barkskin - match it to the situation, usually thats just straight ac but not always. most obvious exception would be fire protection against dark-knight. i did that once and some guy (not a noob at all either) just kept spamming 'hit' fireballs on me.
herb - cures poisons and diseases and such.. that comes in handy sometimes and has some hidden uses if you think about it
volley - anti-bow, but not terrible if you want to use it like a sideswipe against any 2h for that matter. also good anti-zerker rage when you are in good enough shape to hold your ground and waste them by spamming it.
always have pets - durrrrr
leading shot is pretty good. aerial shot could be pretty good too for anti-flier, you wont have it trained and the situation wont come up anyway though.
use campfire a lot.
dont be afraid to run all over the damn map as needed for hiding or tracking, pathfinding is your friend

Davairus wrote:
I forgot to add you can't just shield block for an advantage here because of the instant switch/barrage/ ownage (especially from overbear flail).

Big deal. Flee on barrage, run around. If he switches weapons before the next skirmish, you have some more work to do. Otherwise you get to abuse him with bow + dirt after you waited out arm distension.

Davairus wrote:

* parting shot seemed like another waste of a practice, nobody with a brain is going to just stand there motionless with no shield while you spam parting shot flees!

It seems like there was lagtime added to it, which basically eliminates most of its usefulness (flee/murder abuse). I wouldn't bother.

Davairus wrote:

* shield block w/ quick volley was another weird one. Wear a shield to get free hits when your opponent flees? You'd have to catch him fleeing first. I found myself just doing dual wield/murders and the ever-popular dirt for lag. I honestly never used a javelin in a pk.

Extra attack on murder and flee is quite nice when you go shield. And shield isn't worthless - nice anti 2h on its own, but it has volley which everyone overlooks. Volley chops up bow users but when I tried it seemed to work not bad against regular 2h as well. Or against any raged zerker.

Davairus wrote:
So summary:
dual wield: very good, as long as you aren't blown away by overhead, use it against anyone who can't deal with the huge damage well, get them fleeing, because you've got a really good murder with that.
shield block: gimped by barrage, in-combat attacks are the weakest of any style so they probably won't give you any volleys, but who knows
two-handed: bows are ok but compare it to overhead crush - you dont even have a bow skill like that - and shield block shuts them down too... you want to whip these bad boys out for a few rounds and mostly keep it mothballed.

IMO
bow: ideal situation, but only against dual wield in which case you'll own it (extra points if you can pin this matchup with a dirt). maybe try against 2h if you are like elf or half-elf. or for leading shot.
dual wield: all around, probably most used, good attack and defense. unsafe against any pure fighters (overhead, or fellow bow->dirt whores) unless you flash it to bait something or risk a dirt pin against shield
shield: not that bad, work those volleys and dirts. mostly you just go shield to counter fighters though. decent against pussy thieves and the like who are always fleeing too.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

The bow-inferior-vs-one handed is a weird issue. It rapes but the combat style is inferior for you. So you get hobbled easily despite being in an obvious massive advantage. And the prompts trick you into thinking you should dual wield, but you shouldnt. Not til theyve put a shield on. You're looking at parry vs defenceless til then - as soon as you dual wield they're up to two defences and defending better than your hobbled ass for that matter.

For retreat - you use it with called shot because, you get a free shot for actually doing it, and you're kept fighting. If youre in a situation where a bow is any good, this is obviously a good thing, since bow damage is usually really high power.

Rescue breaks you out of the fight so you can't do damage. This makes it inferior to retreat where a bow suits.

In theory, your pets are too weak to waste rescues/retreats with them, they'd just die. Better to tank for them and just have them help out with damage. That was the advice even back in the day, when pets weren't nerfed loads. Likely pets will just keep getting gimped til that advice turns out to be right. That's why I dont think that retreat/called shot thing is intended.

As for volley, I'm not sure how you got all that utility out of it, though fleeing off distends is a known issue with barrage I guess. Personally I would rather not waste purples and time fleeing off distends while I'm just trying to kill someone. I find the dual wield murders + follow up rounds to be a lot better damage, and prefer to just meet two-handed with bows due to barrage ease. Without barrage in the picture volleys suddenly a lot nicer, but then overhead wont be in the picture either, meaning so is dual wield/dual parry combo. I'm glad you got some use out of it though, always nice to hear the coding effort wasn't going to waste. Javelins were a huge PITA for me.

0 0 0
trance_monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

this stuff should be in a wiki or something

this is real good info

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: