Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 11 hours.

Warrior
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Warrior

anyways whats a good race for a warrior? Not including any giants or evil or good only races. I'm thinking about making a new warrior seeing how I havent played one since i started back up. Oh any tips and hints would help seeing how my warrior got his ass handed to him many many times.

0 0 0
jeoparty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:

So that leaves what.. human, halfling, dwarf, half-elf, gnome, and avian.

Human - Nice PK range & easy ranking.

Halfling - Beautiful dirt & dodge, but carrying capacity is limited.

Dwarf - Awesome shield block, pretty harsh vuln. Overall good choice still.

Half-elf - Great skill training, pretty cool racial legacies. Yet to try this one.

Gnome - Gnomes aren't half as bad as they used to be. I can see a Gnome warrior doing good at 50. Just take a look at Fondar.

Avian - Perma fly, harsh vuln, cool sounding racial legacies. Also have yet to try this one.

Remember that most vulns can easily be countered by favoured weapons. Example.. Dwarf counters water cube AND wave churner with axe, and avian can counter the ivy sword with whips.

In no way am I a warrior expert, but I hope this helps.

Last edited by jeoparty on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject:

Warriors almost break into subclasses based on race and your strategies can vary a good deal based on it. Giants will be overheading with a polearm when they go 2h, whereas say an elf will go bow and dirt. Defense stats always influence playing style with a fighting class too.. dwarf will want to consider more shield use, giants dual wield ideally. High str races will be more hobble and combat style skills inclined, high dex races will be more dirt inclined. Everyone can flee murder well, better probably for high dex guys who can't hobble/overhead/etc as well but not by much. Favored weapons are also important.. etc. etc. etc, many things to think about. Check the warrior guide for some info. Anyway.. most races will do fine as long as you play them to their strengths.

Human would be a great way to go if unsure. With their very solid and also super balanced stats, they can pull off any specialzed thing you want to do (overhead whoring, hobble, dirts, flee murders, dual wield, shield, whatever), or experiement and try everything and get a complete feel for warrior that way because they have the flexibility to do it all well enough, which you can't say for other races, like pick a halfling and you are dirt and flee murder dependent and you almost might as well be playing a ranger or something because your overhead/sideswipe/barrage/hobble won't be so good, etc. Plus human has nice leveling, best pk ranges (very good for non expert), and decent favoreds with 1h spear and polearm. Very smart choice. Leave avian, dwarf, and gnome (which for warrior is not as good as for ranger jeo..) for experts. Halfling is out based on playstyle. Slith could compete w/ human for your criteria. Half-elf somewhere between competing and out based on playstyle. I'd say just try human first overall though.

0 0 0
jeoparty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

Slade wrote:
and gnome (which for warrior is not as good as for ranger jeo..)

I will agree for now, but would love to see somebody prove us wrong. I think it could be done.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

I think a slith would be good besides the whole no kick thing. half-elves have favoured weapons on all weapons. humans im not really a polearm user. I'm not sure if half-elves have good hobbles and str based attacks. I guess if I can get two out of the three I can just flip a coin.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

jeo - Yes of course it could be done, just not by someone who has to ask what race to play.

smot - Polearm is just for overhead or 2h hobble. Most of the time with human you would wield spear, probably w/ off hand dagger.

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject:

Humans are great for warriors. But I would most likely go dwarf for their massive amount of constitution, if you go good aligned you can get so much hp shit it wont even be funny cause if you do it correctly you can have like 1k hp by 35.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Treat hobble with at least as much priority as dirt/defences, because its very important - usually the first thing you would go for. Even high dex warrior races.

Try not to start every fight with dirt when charge/murder are two perfectly fine options.

0 0 0
Matthais

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Avian's breakneck dive charge, or whatever it is called, is extremely nasty. I think Avian and Slith are relatively decent choices with dirt not being the priority in warrior fights nowadays. In the end, there are no bad choices for warrior. All of them have their perks. With that being said, the decision should be based off what you are planning to accomplish with your character.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

i want a good fighter race with good hobble/dirt/defences. I think humans are the best choice for that but I don't want to play humans much. The vulns on dwarf/avian really suck in my mind. Slith is good but they don't get kick/winding kick but make up for it with tail attack/shed/swallow, along with bad wis for shield block. half-elves have good legacies but low con and str both needed for defences and hobble. So its really a pick beween human sliths and half-elves.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Matthais wrote:
Avian's breakneck dive charge, or whatever it is called, is extremely nasty. I think Avian and Slith are relatively decent choices with dirt not being the priority in warrior fights nowadays. In the end, there are no bad choices for warrior. All of them have their perks. With that being said, the decision should be based off what you are planning to accomplish with your character.

I wonder.. because it would have to be pretty damn buff to beat out up to 8 attacks with the cushion of dual parry. I'm not sure I see the use for charge w/ non-avian warrior except for the specific instance of a non-weapon warded flier...

Question

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

You can use charge to initiate strongly against high-defence targets, where murders will likely fail miserably. Ideal scenario here would be I guess a rogue... charge him, hobble him, follow and murder while he's trying to flee off dodgeless, then go back to charge once he's dodging again.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject:

Yeah but.. the latest rebalance was uhh.. lesser 2h charge damage bonus and you can shield block it or counterbalance it. So basically it remains a decent option against two hand wielders (who are getting 2 defenses instead of 3, still solid but not exactly a high-defense target necessarily) which is okay. But shield or counterbalance can shrug it off. And then against dual wielders there isn't much point simply because you can lead right off with overhead, which is even more pwn by far, or even just murder with bow which would also be really nasty. So it still sounds a little unwhelming overall for warriors... Confused

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject:

They do still have to succeed the respective defence for that, its not automatic failure. So after hitroll thats probably still about 60% success rate, not 0%. Likely higher - drop a spear charge to weaken that counterbalance dodge even more. Not too much luck involved there, and you can always not keep doing it if theyre not opened. But anyway, that's what charge is for, welcome to leave it at 1%. And initiate overheads pretty cheese so I wont debate that one.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

Yeah I was thinking about it and it could be kind of cool I guess. I was thinking you could just load up on damroll since its a weapon skill. Add stuff like double grip, favoured polearm or something, and powwww. Nice for chasing where it might make the most of your few times you tag the other guy.

Which charge is the strongest? Human w/ +12 dam polearm or giant with high str and +7 dam? Or avian w/ dive charge? If so how much better compared to the other?

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject:

are you guys kidding me

slith

and if you got the hang of fires, then fire (but i never got the hang of them so i cant say that)

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject:

Strongest warrior charge most probably goes to a berserk'd fire giant warrior with the voulge. Human favored won't get charge that big. For non-warrior, a raged fire berserker sounds pretty rough.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

You guys are jokers. Go with dwarf, they pwn pretty hard even with vulns. There's a living example already.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Charge is helped by size then right, thats why fire comes out on top?

Also, if fire tops avian, dive charge is basically just for the module C mount owning niche then solely?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject:

Er no, its like a regular hit.. just get the biggest damroll you can for the strongest straight-up charge. I figured a fire warrior is pretty much unchallenged in that regard if he wants to be. Obviously avian's taking the charge gold though with a legacy giving that added versatility (more damage, works in the air, etc), but there's a lot of other trade-offs there to think about - especially since they can get charged out of the air while doing it, were they to fail a counter for whatever reason (dirt, blindness, natural failure, etc). There are some good times to dive charge where an avian shines, others you might get yourself murdered doing it..not just mounted.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: