Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 14 hours.

Macros/triggers/aliases, etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much do you rely on macros, triggers, aliases, etc.?
100%... I couldn't survive without my triggers & aliases...
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Zero... I type *ALL* of my commands...
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Eh, I use a few triggers (for eating, drinking, sancing, etc.)
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
I use quite a bit of shortcutting... I only type when walking, etc.
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
"Macros"? Your client has MACROS?? What the hell...
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
You mean people still type? I just log in and leave, my triggers take care of playing for me...
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 30

Sebryn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Macros/triggers/aliases, etc.

How dependent is your game on automated/shortcut commands?

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Depends what im doing, if im ranking and not leading.. i'll have numerous triggers doing a bunch of stuff while i chat / write stuff. If im rping, i just sit around and type basically. But, overall i couldnt live without my targetting script, and my who-rank script ( being honest )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Alright, Seryie... I'm not trying to come off with the "holier than thou" attitude, but my question for those that use scripts, etc., is this:

Do you think it takes more skill to play with scripts or without?

I'm just curious here... I just wonder how the playerbase would level itself if scripts, triggers, aliases, macros, etc. weren't allowed or if somehow they wouldn't work anymore, and everyone had to type EVERYTHING.

It'll never happen, but I'd like to see what it would be like... i.e., would that badass <insert race/class here> named <insert name here> be as good a PKer if they didn't have <insert script/macro name here>?

0 0 0
Enskel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I used telnet for my first few characters on AR, including my first 50.

A fast typist will not get creamed by someone using macros due to the lag between most commands. However, macros do provide an advantage.

Triggers are useful, but you need a way to turn them off quickly if they get you in trouble.

These days I use tons of macros, including macros to create triggers. It has been some help, but I wouldn't be at a total loss if I had to type everything, especially with autocomplete.

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I use them for common tasks (i.e. Dirt, get sword etc.) But for everything else, I type it out.

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject:

for me, it's num pad to move, f keys, and aliases in combat. I only use highlighting triggers because a dispel magic/food trigger really screws me over.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Triggers ONLY for color (For tells and the person I am chasing so I can see him when I scan)

Macros for the number pad (walking) and the '0' '.' '+' '-' '*' being macros for attack spells against the person i am chasing

A macro for summoning and killing large hobgoblins, where pk, and rescue as well.

Only alias I use is @target and then I trigger @target = #cw 7 to make it highlight it in white Smile

Uh

Oh and a trigger to keep me from voiding when I go to take a shit every 10 minutes.

You didnt have a poll option for just a few macros and triggers

0 0 0
LABruinCub

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject:

If everyone would have to play with NO triggers or macros, the mud would be pretty crappy... why? Cus then I would make a char with a name like this: Ukanttypethisfassanyways (max for AR is like 12 letters). So yeah... it'd be pretty boring walking into a room and then taking a couple of seconds to type out murder etc. etc. You're right tho, the player skill base would even out, since everyone would suck. LOL

What makes a good pker isn't necessarily how fast they can execute a skill, but the skill selection as well.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject:

With regard to the typing, you'd still have autocomplete.

0 0 0
Xonovik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject:

LABruinCub wrote:
If everyone would have to play with NO triggers or macros, the mud would be pretty crappy... why? Cus then I would make a char with a name like this: Ukanttypethisfassanyways (max for AR is like 12 letters). So yeah... it'd be pretty boring walking into a room and then taking a couple of seconds to type out murder etc. etc. You're right tho, the player skill base would even out, since everyone would suck. LOL

What makes a good pker isn't necessarily how fast they can execute a skill, but the skill selection as well.

For a while that's what I did.. all you do is copy/paste
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject:

If you can do it use them. and if you cant do them get a friend to make them! my zmud is suped up and im not a badass pk'er not even close so theres the proof even with all the shit its only a matter of convieniancy. So the ammount of triggers , alias, macros, and i have even more stuff than that haha.. you still need the skill because they don't make you skillful they just help. Kind of like your ping to ar...

Ohh yea i have scripts for roleplay and stuff too, not ones which let me talk but the one ive almost got done right now.. is one which basically converts everything im saying into elvish, i had a little help from an jrr tolkien elvish dictionary... heh..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Mental Patient-101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject:

The only trigger I use is for sleeping and I use aliases for everything else pretty much, f keys for some quick eq switching also.

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject:

Triggers that perform actions are dangerous. I use action triggers only for things that I will want to have happen 100% of the time, regardless. These include things like getting up after trying to do something and failing because I'm sitting/resting, picking up disarmed/visaged weapons and shields. Even automatic re-fleeing can bite you if you happen to get stuck in a no-exit.
As for non-action triggers, I use a lot of those. Highlight scripts, status effects, etc.

Macros and aliases. These, I can never get enough of.

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject:

Ohh yea.. i usually get sick of seeing the same thing over and over, so i usually #sub most of the lines make them a little more funky, its still in the theme of things. Just not as boring. heh

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject:

#SUB {perimeter guard} {wanksta}

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject:

#sub {elf}{azn}
You pat yoursazn on your head, very reassuring.

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject:

#SUB {Davairus} {$$}

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject:

#TRIGGER {~[Herald~]} {#sub "[PK-me]"}

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Marsd, I like it! Can I offer to highlight it?

#TRIGGER {~[Herald~]} {#sub "[PK-me]"}
#TRIGGER {~PK-me} {#cw green}

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject:

The only triggers/ macros i have are.

8 n
4 w
6 e
2 s
5 l
+ bash
- hide; hide; sneak; sneak
* tri guard
/ assa guard (back in my ninja days...)

triggers are You have become better at sword! prof self sword

I have triggers set up for almost every skill/ spell getting better. I've had every class seriously except for shaman, druid, healer, illusionist, psionosist, berserker, dk...

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: