Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 17 hours.

The Mystics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject:

You are partially right Eskel, but what I was pointing at was that consistently througout the ages of Thera, the Mystics have had a backstage role in the game. They created alliances, they provided the subtle additions to the mud that isn't obvious, etc. etc. For example, the New Thalos curse had the Mystics in the background either speaking to immortals about what is going on, or providing essential roleplay to ride the mud through such a scene. What I was commenting at was that the Mystics never really did have a good imm to back them up to begin with, and when left to the devices of an incompetent immortal who I shall not name, left the cabal in ashes and dust.

But even when we had an absent imm/leader example Azonere and Zandar, the cabal still had a purpose. They still provided documents/guides on Thera/artifacts and continued to contribute to the game rp wise and cabal interactions. Of course the purpose isn't obvious to the non mystic, but there are reasons to the consistency of immortal visits to the ivory halls. However, you ask for a more defined purpose and I have a couple in mind for the cabal that would keep it consistent and obvious to many. The problem now is the revival of the cabal.

When I left, I thought I left Mystics in a stable state. When I came back, the cabal was no more, thanks largely to the immortal in charge, and the mortal leader. I'm not saying that Ug was a bad leader, I'm saying that there was no one to chain him down. Not to mention what I put down as structural guidelines were twisted enough to make the cabal look like an organized terrorist group.

I hate to be egotistic, but I like to think that I can rebuild the cabal again. I know my ideas aren't the best for everybody, but I know it works. For example, the Knights always had a problem with characters that never showed up or the problem in defining their priorities. The problem was solved by a daily to weekly patrol report about who they purged/cleansed. A simple solution, and it was asking for too much sometimes, but it solved the problem with those that didn't show up enough, and kept the knights from killing evils that were already purged that day or recently.

I've already been turned down by Burzuk and Dav so that's why I'm bring all this up. Just trying to say please reconsider and look at my achievements with cabals. Again, the Mystics will only help the mud and trying to replace it with Heralds will only emphasize the emptiness left behind.

Also, its tough to be back Nydilig.

0 0 0
Allie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject:

<flame>
The similariities are striking:
Mystics=Hoarders
Heralds=Hoarders
Mystic=Mushroom/Spring Spammers
Heralds=Bullshit Spammers
</flame>

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Atleast Mystics can kill things. Pacifism is really un-fun... Boring.. We need Heralds to be the gossip people they are, and Mystics to be actual historians. Very few Heralds I see on, seem like historians. Also, when was the last time a Mystique came out? When they did, the 'facts' were biased and subjective reports... Heralds can be current event people, Mystics can be historians, if you want to put it that way. Mushrooms are much more cool than bullshit anyway! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystics...

Graves wrote:
So I'll keep on saying it in game, and on the forum, bringing back the Mystics would only help the mud. My two cents.
I completely agree, but here is the retort Burzuk gave me:

1) Playerbase not big enough - I suggested removing the heralds - denied.
2) No real purpose - Can't turn them into "battle mages" because they'll end up being another Legion/Knight

I was pushing for something Nydilig said, even going so far as to make them the antithesis of Warlords, and give them a bit of purpose, but Buz/Dav didn't listen, or don't care.

One would think with a significant amount of people clamouring for their return, the Imms would at least hear us out.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject:

The imms here at abdondoned realms have told us before, as I'm sure they will tell us again "This is a dictatorship, not a democracy. Leave if you don't like it". Only way to vote here is with your feet.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
One would think with a significant amount of people clamouring for their return, the Imms would at least hear us out.

They're probably listening, just not consciously... the IMM/IMP staff has so much more going on right now that they're trying to get done and coded as soon as they can... religions, new races, things that will affect gameplay a lot more than bringing back a cabal that obviously wasn't "up to snuff" in the first place.

Just be patient and see what happens.

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Sebryn wrote:
... a lot more than bringing back a cabal that obviously wasn't "up to snuff" in the first place.

Just be patient and see what happens.

No offense intended, but what exactly do Heralds do?

I've had two, figuring I might have just had a sour experience with the first, but even the second really didn't DO anything. He sat around, and wrote notes to other Heralds, which is great for RP amongst them, but very few, if any other players really gave two shits. The only time anyone was interested was right before their level 50 guy con-deathed, and they wanted their story to be recorded, which I did, but these stories were rarely published.

With the exception of defending their cabal, they just sit around and what, write? spread rumors? Obviously there exceptions, like Thibeus/Jagure/etc who go out and "do" stuff, but their actions to not encompass the main philosophy of the Herald values.

I like the idea of the Heralds as great place to learn about cabals, or learn to play a caballed character, but it really is second tier. Much more than the Mystics ever were.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Thoughts on a new cabal that strives to achieve complete balance with total disregard for their own needs.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Hearalds should be the Peacful NON pkill RP of the mud ,,Limited to ONE rare to stop hording ,,For the people that just want to RP and RP only ..Gives them lots more time to see whats going on ,follow killers and defenders around to give reps if needed etc etc ..Help newbs access to Newbiechat etc etc ,,Hell NO rares, no real need for them then ,,just a thought

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject:

That would stop hoarding, but would then just pin every Herald with a 'KILL ME PLEASE!' sign. The limit sounds better. I don't mean to sound doubting here, but when I first came here, I heard about how busy the IMPs were coding things, and it's still the same things today. I do not know the complexity of the code you guys deal with, but I am a fairly experienced programmer in Java. I have kept quiet about asking the question such as I am going to ask now: How long does it really take to code something like this in? I have never coded with a project this large scale or intricate, but does it really differ so much? I know personal life gets in the way, but in my opinion, I would have religions done before altering LEgion and Knights and what not. Get done first things you'll know will offset the balance, then re-balance it. That would seem to make sense to me. Again, I have no idea of the staffs here personal life and what time it takes up, or what they are involved in outside of AR. Possibly searching AR for a few worthy of IMM status to take over mundane duties while the higher ups deal with the larger issues could help. To kill the flame before it flies, I am NOT suggesting myself. I odn't think I could wield the kind of reponsibility this MUDs staff does. There are my thoughts, no nessecarily on topic, but if this were done, it could possibly make responding to/implementing these kinds of ideas. Just a thought. ::winces and dons his fire-fighter suit, ready for the flames.::
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Agreed. I have no doubt in the skills, or even the effort of the staff, just perhaps the priorities. I think new (or reinstated old) things would breathe a bit of life back into me at least.

Getting people here, or old ones to return should always be the top priority, and new, balanced additions would seem like an excellent draw.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject:

With all the talk about Heralds being hoarding, lazy bastards that really don't write anything at all, I've thought about ways to change that stigma for some time.

Problem is, as QW said, if Heralds gave up what items they do have, they'd be even bigger PK bait than they're already perceived to be.

For some strange reason, a bunch of assholes get some fucking hard-on about trying to kill a bunch of non-aggressive characters. They view the Heralds as many people do, i.e. the "newbie cabal." Therefore, since most of them suck and are fairly new as well, they come after the "weak and uneducated Heralds."

Granted, there is probably a roleplaying reason somewhere in there for the occasional PK attempt, but people will come tearing ass after someone with the [HERALD] tag as soon as we (Heralds) log on, just to be able to say that they pwned someone. Just an annoying pain in the ass. People say "Heralds should stop keeping good equipment since they don't use it," but they're not the ones getting ganged and full-looted by a bunch of no-talent pricks.

You don't see the [WARLORD] or [JUSTICE] cabals getting invaded every time one of their members logs on. Why? Because people don't want to face stances or getting [WANTED]. That's crap. Heralds have one small (albeit useful) skill to help with combat, but it's limited.

The reason Jagure and Thibeus were/are so aggressive is that they were tired of that image for Heralds. They wanted to get people off Heralds' asses for once. Instead, now people tell me "wtf is up with Thibeus? He's a Herald, he shouldn't be pk'ing." Alright, if you don't want Heralds pk'ing, then don't attack them. Fair enough? The Heralds will just report on current events and history if everyone agrees to let them be. Sound like a trade?

Yeah f***ing right. The day that happens is the day that Clesa puts down a rack of ribs and says "No, honestly, I can't eat another bite." Ain't gonna happen.

If the IMMs want to make it so that the Heralds can't PK or be PK'ed (which is NEVER going to happen) and set it so that they can't wear rares, then fine... problem solved. Aside from that happening I don't see a viable solution that everybody can (or will) live with.

0 0 0
Taleroth
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yeah f***ing right. The day that happens is the day that Clesa puts down a rack of ribs and says "No, honestly, I can't eat another bite." Ain't gonna happen.

Haha.. Sebryn, I like the way you mention about this. Laughing

0 0 0
Taleroth
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Sebryn
Quote:
For some strange reason, a bunch of assholes get some fucking hard-on about trying to kill a bunch of non-aggressive characters. They view the Heralds as many people do, i.e. the "newbie cabal." Therefore, since most of them suck and are fairly new as well, they come after the "weak and uneducated Heralds."

How true.. I remember that I just gotten into Heralds and gotten attacked by a shaman. Ask him why he attacked me, he did not reply. I was wearing only blues and mithrils if you wish to know. When he is losing the fight, he called me a coward for hiding in the Conservatory. Firstly, I wasn't even inside the Conservatory, secondly he attacked Alyshia isn't it a caballed character's duties to defend his or her guardian? Thirdly I brought the fight outside the Conservatory except when blinded I ran in to my cabal by accident.

Yes, I don't fight much like the Knights, Legions, Warlords. In fact Heralds aren't aggressors. However when the Warlords do ask or others, I accept and entertain. Heralds hoarders? Maybe we are. Ask a few Knights, I tried giving rares to some. Some decline to accept, some do. A storm occurs, I reveal what items are around and left it for others. Yet there are still people mentioning about items not being around and "Oh! That Herald has it!".

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject:

What's the problem here? Heralds have equipment and don't risk it, so of COURSE they will get attacked and by more than just the Herald Head Hunters. Evils have a natural desire for equipment, as it is a symbol of power, which of course all evils desire greatly. Thus, it would be a BREAK in RP for evils NOT to attack a decked out Herald simply because they were a Herald. The minute Heralds got cabal grounds, they became targets. I suspect the level of invasion that goes on right now is nothing close to what it was when the cabal first opened as it was something of a novelty at the time. Somewhat in response, Heralds had a Defender of Legends title/role inside the cabal for those Heralds who wanted to actively defend the cabal 100% of the time and take care of the aggressors. They were required to follow the cabal defense rules that other cabals had, and this system worked out pretty well. We had 1 condeath I remember, but we got some respect too.

More on topic, I think that Herald needs a swift kick in the rear for having drifted so far from their mandate. I believe, though am unsure, that this is mostly due to their new Immortals. Heralds has always invited new players, but lowering standard for entrance was never part of this before. Leadership position usually remained with people with more experience and maturity, back to Rhys and Bulan and before, and even without that (i.e. Craven Moerhaed), the Immortals at least were solid.

I've had my share of Heralds, but I don't think I'll ever play one again.

NOTE -- I myself have never so much as attacked a Herald before.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject:

1) The current Herald IMMs don't have a lot of time; that's not necessarily their fault, just a point I'm making.
2) There's no mortal leader at the moment.
3) Even when Heralds (myself included) haven't been "decked" they've been attacked. Evils, vampires, goomba Warlords that have their duel requests denied (by a pacifist cabal), you name it.

I understand the desire for equipment by ANY character. That's not the part I have a problem with. What I do get frustrated about is the incessant whining about "hoarding" by the same people that do the attacking. Granted, killing someone is probably the easiest way to get the equipment that you want... but the reason Heralds started getting decked in the first place was to help stave off the morons that were attacking them when they DIDN'T have any equipment. It's a vicious cycle...

- HERALD HAS NO EQ -->
- HERALD GETS PK'ED (FOR BEING A 'HERALD') -->
- HERALD GETS DECENT EQ TO PREVENT PKS -->
- HERALD IS BITCHED AT FOR "HOARDING" -->
- HERALD GIVES UP EQ/DIES -->
- REPEAT

Do you not see the pattern? And if the Heralds try to go out and build up their image (a la Jagure or Thibeus), then they're bitched at for being "too aggressive" or "not the way Heralds should be." I've received countless tells and notes about Herald behavior... I don't see an immediate solution, but then again I'm not trying very hard.

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like your RP itself is vacillating. You either make a Herald who is aggressive and who takes the consequences, or a pacifist who wears nothing (like Divsky's awesome one who wore all RP eq) and faces the consequences, or a decked out hoarder who loves his equipment and again accepts the consequences. You need to be rational enough to separate what is in-character and leave it in the game. I understand and commiserate with your frustration, though. I guess I'm not thinking about the current immaturity of the playerbase. Once I get bored of my current characters, I'll make a pacifist bard who is decked out from Wil the tailor, etc. and see what happens.

And if the current Herald imms are inactive, they should be booted. Being an Immortal is a mostly unrewarding, painful job, but if you take it up, you have the power to change the game itself, and that is reward enough to keep you active.

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Avendin wrote:
You need to be rational enough to separate what is in-character and leave it in the game. I understand and commiserate with your frustration, though.

Avendin, shut the fuck up man. When you're a herald, you get bitched at in game, out of game, when you're sleeping, and then people'll still try to fuck you up the ass. The thing isn't a problem of having rare eq, because rare eq is the desire of every pinnacled 50. I mean, why the hell would I want to be dressed like a lowbie straight from mud school in combat eq just because I'm a Herald? Hell, why would anyone...

Someone once mentioned the idea of trading in rare eq for the ability to buy specialized Herald Eq that grants crazy +hp. You know, I kinda liked the sound of that. Here's my reasoning: I picture Heralds as prestigious people in the background of the Elite of the Era. People with quills who know what's going out that don't feel the risk of being assassinated (Julius Caesar [Knights, Legions, etc... etc...]) but still pass down the legacy (how the hell else do we know about Caesar). These people couldn't have been as opulent as the kings and queens, but they sure as hell weren't street rats.

Also, because we got a cabal, we've got duties like every other cabal. Recording history and spewing out of our asses are two different things. A lot of recording what's happening, important events is kept in cabal. Why, because do you really want or care to know? Roleplaying and spreading rumors, that requires more people. If no one's going to take the time to sit and listen to whatever bullshit we can spew, why are we gonna talk and blabber about ourselves (leaving it very possible to get ourselves killed, see: here. Yeah, I was RPing with someone at about rank 40ish)? But for some odd reason, other cabals get to feel a sense of prestige and pride while Heralds are pretty much just a "second-class cabal", what the fuck is this?

Quote:
And if the current Herald imms are inactive, they should be booted. Being an Immortal is a mostly unrewarding, painful job, but if you take it up, you have the power to change the game itself, and that is reward enough to keep you active.

You know what man, this statement pisses me off the most. I view cabal imms as mentors and supports checking in and promoting when people are ready. I think a cabal should hold its own and go about its duty as is required. I've already pondered this problem (see above).

Also, why should cabal imms be gimped when cabal morts that don't show up aren't. I mean, shit man, you gotta realize that there is real life shit going on here. Not everyone can donate an hour or five of their day to AR (would be not, but it isn't realistic). Sometimes people set their priorties and follow through on em. I hold this view on everyone and hope no one gets punished or booted for realizing real life exists.

Alright, so then the problem that's left is hoarding/pking. I think this is the worst hissy fit AR's ever thrown. Just to throw it out there (for anyone who doesn't read magewares and doesn't know), I was/am both Jagure and Thibeus, both more aggro heralds (credibility purposes). People bitch and whine about Heralds hoardings. Okay fine, imagine Heralds not hoarding, going out to actively hunt and pk. Kills someone or gets wanted or something, next thing you know, "whine whine whine, you're herald, you're noob, you can't pk, whine whine whine". (Hell, I'm even gonna leave out Spalino and his warlord record). See the obvious contradiction, "I just got assbeat by a herald so now i'm gonna whine like fuck about them being too aggro while I'm underequipped and call them hoarders when they hold something I need but I can't kill them cuz blah blah blah excuse". You know, it's funny when you get a note from Justices to Herald going, "Blah blah blah's activity seems inappropriate blah blah. I hope Herald elders know about this blah blah and do something about blah blah. "

No one bothers to ask how the Heralds got their rares anyways. Heralds don't get them by magic, or have them poof into their hands. They get it the same way everyone else does, patience and various alliances. That leaves one of two options both of which satisfy me: go try to kill one or "Cease your INCESSANT WHINING!".

On the Side - My vocabulary is toned down as to not give a sense of prickness.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject:

You dont care about wearing RP eq because you're a PKer.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I guess i wasnt clear ,,,Cant the Heralds be flag peacful or Somethign that excludes them from PK ,,,Then all the Do is the RP etc etc..

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: