Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 14 hours.

The Overwhelming Warrior
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Accident-Prone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: The Overwhelming Warrior

I am just curious if the Warrior class is supposed to out-number the other classes like they do, or if this is just all prior to up-coming changes? It just seems like quite a favorable ratio. They outnumber all other classes by at least 53 players. And that is compared to Rangers and Thieves, all the others are quite a bit more.

Granted not all characters are acitve. They still outnumber Healers by 20, which have 15 active characters.

Just curious...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject:

I think this is the part where we all blame our favorite pet peeve for the amount of warriors.

Its just stats, all it tells you is current player trends. We obviously have a lot of warrior fans. I think the interesting results are the race spikes within classes, like the 800 dwarf warriors, or the 40 gnome invokers, etc. Obviously we won't want to make that worse with racial legacies.

0 0 0
Accident-Prone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject:

Yes, those do not need those racial legacies. And yes it is quite interesting, the spikes with in the classes. Didnt really feel like figuring that number. Wink

So since these numbers have basically just been made public, is this just a "warrior wave"? I understand that there will probably always be more warriors. Just wondering if this is a normal number.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject:

I think alot of the 'trend' is 'who was the most badass recently?' That tends to set the bar.

0 0 0
Wholesale Johnson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject:

I actually think it's interesting to follow that trend, and see what it's actually like, and compare. I hardly ever keep the character, though. Especially if it's evil.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I think the figures reflect appeal, which is the product of a whole bunch of stuff. We can guess why, but then we'd have to check if it makes sense for all the data. For instance, 'who was the most badass recently?', is Rigwarl, but apparently the most popular berserker is still a mino. There are more elves than any other race, and I think we can thank Tolkien for that.

0 0 0
MrCarb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject:

When Rigwarl was created, were minotaurs still neutral-only? I wonder if that's why he was a fire giant. Minotaurs do seem to have so much going for them.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject:

I think we saw a huge surge of fire giants when rigwarl was at the top of his game through time of deletion. Hell, I even made one and decided to hold him at 30 until some of the other fires died off.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject:

Minos could be evil when Rigwarl was created, but I have a passion for fire giants. He was also created before fire/zerker racial legacies and before berserk gave saves to mental. He was doing fine without legacies and berserk mental saves, so I was shocked (but very pleased) when they added those things to make fires stronger.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject:

Warriors do well against mobs (minus slow regeneration that you will notice later on).

Warriors are very good against players.

Out of all classes warrior is the one in which strategies change based on your race the most, so they all potentially play differently. So a drow warrior playing experience will be way different than a fire giant. Even somewhat similar races stat wise, like an avian to drow or whatever, can potentially be a lot different based on if and how you want to leverage your strengths.

Warriors require quick thinking and can be exciting that way, with all the combat style / various stuff to keep ahead of on the fly.

Warriors have a wide variety of skills so you can work out unique strategies, get creative, or simply always just try to match the right skill to the right situation (guy is flying? charge. guy is a low dex berserker pre rage? dirt. guy is a high dex rogue? hobble. on and on and on), some people will find that interesting. You will have to take the same thought about skills, enemy, situation, and so on as far as your weapons go. Always having the right damage type for the right race, different weapon types for the right classes, different weapons entirely for the right enemy race/class combos (overheading vs. using a bow, blah blah), on and on.

They are somewhat noob friendly at a basic level but have a high ceiling for a highly experienced and skilled player to take them to, and everything in between.

Not that that accounts for the numbers entirely. Berserkers for example have most of those things in common, yet there are 3 times more warriors.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject:

Actually what I've noticed about all classes is there is an offensive/defensive version of both..

Offensive Defensive
Shaman Healer
Thief Bard
Berserker Warrior
Dark knight Pally

Then theres the hybrids which are decent (but not good) at both
Ranger
Illusionist
Necro
Invoker
(Druid)
(monk)

I put them in categories based on their skills/spells

Pallys have sanc and healing, dark knights do not. Dark knights have charm person and bash. That makes pallys defensive, dk offensive. So on and so forth. Warriors are defensive because they have all of these defenses dodge parry dual parry shield block riposte, and berserkers are offensive because they have rage and all of these crazy skills. And yeah I think that warriors you have to change how you play based on your race.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject:

Hard to win a fight if you are on the defensive. The best way to win with any class is to be on the offensive. Take gnome invoker for example. If that plays defensive (hp/saves gear) it will get rocked. Play it offensively (full hit/dam eq) and it has a fighting chance.

The best defence is a good offence.

Blitzkreig!

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject:

Eh I usually find if I can make a battle really long I can win...But maybe thats because they get bored and give up. I dunno.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
MrCarb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ranger
Illusionist
Necro
Invoker
(Druid)
(monk)

Surely the first three of those offer about the strongest offense. I certainly wouldn't suggest that a necro is 'decent' defensively...not the one's i played, anyway. Sad

0 0 0
Elaedon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
(monk)

Who says monks aren't good at both Wink Well not good at both at the same time anyway.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Ok I did not read all the posts but warriors are only good in the lower levels, they are not much within the last levels agenst other players.

Grayden Grim of the Bloody Fields of Flesh

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Grayden wrote:
Ok I did not read all the posts but I'm only good in the lower levels, I'm not much within the last levels agenst other players.

Fixed. Seriously, way to look dumb Grayden.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject:

Think what you will dav, but the warrior skills are useless against various spells. It only takes a person planning to kill a warrior and the warrior can only run. I guess there are weaker classes that cannot kill a warrior, but it is still just a complex game of paper, rock, scissors.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject:

Did uou mean rock paper scissors and 150 damage a round through sanc? Some warriors were killing mages before this combat skill stuff. You can think what you want too I guess.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject:

Yeah necros classify as offensive in my book because they don't really have any defensive skills and spells besides weapon ward protective shield protection creature and armor. They have lousy defenses and no innate ability for damage reduction. Rangers are hybrids because while they have some pretty snazzy bow skills they have pretty much full defenses and camo. Monks are pretty much both hence offense and defense stance

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: