Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 19 hours.

Question about accents.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Question about accents.

I was thinking about doing an accent for one of my characters, but was having trouble turning the phonetics into words. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to write in an accent?

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Any auld chance mucker? That theres a feckin shite idea that, fuckin put a lid on it ye auld messer

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Burzuk wrote:
That said, communication-restricted characters are problematic and IMO should be avoided. We've discussed the various problematic issues with them elsewhere on the forum, but also from an Imm perspective, they also tend to generate all sorts of complaints to the Imms. In my book, any RP that necessitates Imm arbitration/intervention has failed in some way.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject:

If yow arn't guna be gud at roiting in accunts, yow shud furgitit.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject:

awl roit, oi'll give i' a troiy.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject:

Actually a good rp idea i never really see incorporated is play on words. I saw it once back when i had a justice and someone was yelling stuff, someone else yells shut your foul mouth, they reply fowl? I am no bird! If you think about it there are a lot of authors who do put a lot of that in their writing, it would be interesting to see a witty herald who would talk like that. Speaking of which, hows this for an rp, an emo necromancer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:

_Clifton_ wrote:
Burzuk wrote:
That said, communication-restricted characters are problematic and IMO should be avoided.

Question: Where did Legion Bob run to? Which way?

There is kind of a hierarchy of communication ability:

1. Woaf! Woaf woaf? OR Squeeeeeeee!
(Unable to communicate with other players to the point where you can get any information out of them - especially problematic for cabals.)

2. Me not know. OR Legion east Timaran!
(Dumb speak, but information is conveyed just fine more or less. Most people should **easily** be able to translate legion east timaran into the legion west east towards timaran. You can't translate woaf woaf or squee at all. If something is not as clear and is therefore more questionable, its more likely in category 1).

3. Oi, Bob be running off tuh east. OR Mes ssaw him ssneaking out easst.
(Usually just a heavy accent for flavor. No missing intelligence, or not missing too much, and again no missing communication ability).

4. Bob just fled to the east towards Timaran.
(Nothing out of the ordinary).

The only problem category is #1, its the one that doesn't allow the chars to mesh with others (mega cabal problems that way), leads to imm problems I would imagine, etc. 2-4 can all get across information just fine if they choose to (silent characters are the ones that don't fit in these categories but that is from choice, not ability). Even the silent chars speak up when there is a true need though. Category 1 people don't have that ability at all, save for some complete bullshit occurance out of left field like twixalnejeojdickypoop 'being given the gift of communication' by the legion imm at the time.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject:

Well, the thing about "dumb speak" is no one ever seems to follow through with the stupid rp. I saw a firegiant berserker who i was sure was a complete idiot, I'd ask him a question. I'd recieve an answer in "dumb speak" and later on would bring back the topic of the originale and he'd be like who? never heard of him...That guy must be laughing behind the screen, it looks like a fun rp.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:

1. Woaf! Woaf woaf? OR Squeeeeeeee!

Waof. Thank you very much. Anyway, as long as the speech isn't completely limited (Wevil wan whent wet - evil man went west)....

But yea, it's problematic and prepare yourself for an isolated character. Or you can just try very hard with emotes.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject:

I think what he was describing is just fine. Pasha's brother had a Warlord dwarf warrior, with a very accurately done "olde english" type accent. It was the best rp in the cabal at the time. Talking that way was a way of life for him though. If playing a priest then the whole "thee, thou, thine" drone goes well with that. I'd definitely do that with a priest character if I had any clue how to. Also look at Grunky speech, because while that isn't any more difficult to read in any way, its presented in a way thats very different to what you see in real life.

There is nothing devastatingly problematic about doing an accented speech. Its just a little more difficult to write and read, that's about it. The real problems come from characters that just babble gibberish. Thats fine up until the point they actually need to get a point across, then its like "GOD DAMNIT STOP". Typically we've seen it doesnt recieve the acclaim the creator was hoping for though. The only thing I wish to warn really is, if its too much hassle, don't bother, because (A) Its a huge mistake to "give up" the accent, (B) Not being able to give up will make the character painful to play.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject:

I seem to remember a monk or something who user er instead of l, and he would eat bread and raisens and say howr dewiciouswy everrr, the most ever raisenses ever.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject:

if that guy was a goody, and I was a goody, the outcast would be worth it, because that'd make my brain itch, being exposed to him for a prolonged period of time.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure but i think thats the first retard rp ive ever seen...

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject:

actually it sounds like super mushy 2 year old t.v. show, which is why it'd itch mentally like 100 ant bites itch physically. and you've just Gotta scratch in that situation. Hmm, maybe they are made with retarded actors.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: