Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 17 hours.

Discussion topic for cabal mechanics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy with the cabal mechanics?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Not completely but it works well enough
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
No but I still put myself through it anyway because I want a cabal
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
No and I avoid cabals
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Discussion topic for cabal mechanics

Here's the gist

benefits:
- cabal powers to help kill your targets
- defender pots / medic scroll / etc
- a buff guardian, confinement skills, henchmans, in your cabal area
- instant friends

drawbacks:
- mandatory targets (but this agrees with your character philsophy anyway)
- considerably more vulnerability than uncaballed while levelling up
- you have to defend your "item" against any odds
- you have to take the retrieve deathmarch

If there is anything you are not happy with, this is your topic. p.s. Its supposed to be fun.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I like how cabals are set up right now, benefits really equal out to the drawbacks, if not even better.

0 0 0
Devin_Smoth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I personally still have yet to get into a Cabal other than Heralds... but from what I've seen and read about... they look good in general. Wink

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Defenders are ok, medics and restorers not so much. For something so useful characters are almost obligated to use them which means a ton of gold farming - not fun for consumables you can burn through so quickly. Find some other way to rebalance those classes. Hard to tell how much anyone cares about the last two drawbacks, people non defend, non retrieve, non chase flags, or at the least simply make sure nothing is a deathmarch and leave regardless of situation.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject:

Restorer Wands are almost abusive if you have the gold for it. Xertiwin would heal 50% heal in 1 tick by spamming that zap.

Non-defending can result in getting kicked from cabal.

From what I recall, I like the setup

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject:

I think cabal mechanics work great, other than the open PK areas which to me seem to do nothing but circumvent PK ranges. And the product is less low level cabal chars logging in. Haven't seen Rulo since Urxu was invading. And I fail to see how getting creamed by a level 50 at 40 is "fun" or a productive use of free time spent. As far as individual cabals, they could use some balancing. Things like Knights having infinite moves is just cheap. Or if you do give them powers like that, perhaps consider balancing it out with other less useful cabal powers.

I don't see Legion getting anywhere with a bunch of active Knights that can rape any up and coming Legion they want. Against a loaded cabal, Legion is going to get their ass handed to them once they enter 50 range anyway, so why start that at 40? Evidence to players quitting out when the odds are against them is everywhere you look, so why in heavens do you think placing any low level cabal char at a permanent disadvantage is going to promote cabal activity?

The early 40s should, I think (read: my personal opinion), be a safety net for cabal chars. Give them an opportunity to get used to cabal life, practice and prepare for when they do enter the range of 50s. They won't be free of fighting of course, there will be plenty of non cabal chars and cabal chars alike in range to fight with.

0 0 0
Esura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject:

I'd rather have the open PK areas rather than defending against out of range invaders with henchmen. Henchman battles are boring, it doesn't actually stop any level 50 from getting the item, and it just drags out the time until your item finally does get taken. You can't kill anyone with henchmen unless your opponent is just absolutely inept. Getting creamed at level 40 is not fun or productive, but it's less of a waste of time than henchman combat. And yeah, I'm completely biased on this matter. Embarassed So maybe Erlwith's right about open PK areas not working very well, but they sure work a heck of a lot better than henchmen.

By the way, I heard Rulo kicked Urkxu's butt, and if that's true then that's not a good example of open PK areas being a bad thing.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject:

Heh.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject:

Erlwith wrote:
Things like Knights having infinite moves is just cheap. Or if you do give them powers like that, perhaps consider balancing it out with other less useful cabal powers.

Falling from a horse and getting caught is awful.

Erlwith wrote:
I don't see Legion getting anywhere with a bunch of active Knights that can rape any up and coming Legion they want. Against a loaded cabal, Legion is going to get their ass handed to them once they enter 50 range anyway, so why start that at 40? Evidence to players quitting out when the odds are against them is everywhere you look, so why in heavens do you think placing any low level cabal char at a permanent disadvantage is going to promote cabal activity?

We used to rape Legion with henchman when we had the advantage on them. Just ask Rigwarl/Jaimoa or any of the other legion that played during that time. Getting to 50 in a cabal is a gauntlet, if that's been changed, then I'm out of the loop.

Erlwith wrote:
The early 40s should, I think (read: my personal opinion), be a safety net for cabal chars. Give them an opportunity to get used to cabal life, practice and prepare for when they do enter the range of 50s. They won't be free of fighting of course, there will be plenty of non cabal chars and cabal chars alike in range to fight with.

Why should it be a safety net?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject:

I would like to see it viable to get inducted at level 25 again, I think the system has always been unforgiving towards that, in all of its forms. But as for 40's there's been a greater concern for them just being niche trash (e.g. Zemnahn) than needing to get "adjusted". And as for stallions, I thought it hilarious that they were actually still thought of as buff after the amount of nerfing that's been put down. But sure I'll nerf them more. Happy to.

edit - deleted some OFF-TOPIC garbage

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
I would like to see it viable to get inducted at level 25 again, I think the system has always been unforgiving towards that, in all of its forms. But as for 40's there's been a greater concern for them just being niche trash (e.g. Zemnahn) than needing to get "adjusted". And as for stallions, I thought it hilarious that they were actually still thought of as buff after the amount of nerfing that's been put down. But sure I'll nerf them more. Happy to.

edit - deleted some OFF-TOPIC garbage

Is it necessary that all cabals have induction at the same rank? (According to the help files, all except Heralds have a minimum 30.)

I wouldn't think it unreasonable to have Justice induct young (20?), give the young law-breakers a fighting chance against the law. If I'm going to be full-looted (practically or literally) for being chaotic, I'd like to put the hurt on a Justice prior to my execution.

Idea 1: I'd like to see an 'open' enrollment for Legion. If your fire-zerker is ready at 18, so be it; if your necro/ill isn't ready until 40, same thing. This would also give Squires the job of "purging" more evils (as there may be more lower rank Legions) while the high-up Knights would have more time for raids and chasing down more "elite" Legions.

Knights are already pretty flexible, so no real need to adjust them.

Idea 2: As an alternative for Legion\Knight induction, what if the ranks were flexible to encourage a balance among Knights\Legion? -- When one has twice as many members as another, the level requirements shift to encourage the joining the 'understaffed' cabal, and raise to restrict entrance to the 'full' cabal.

Idea 3: Induct far more members, and weed them out as the ranks progress. All pallys/dkns can join at 20, but only the top 50% get to stay at 25, top 50% of the remainder stay at 30, and so on. Obviously this would have the danger of niche players, so other restrictions/rules would have to be in effect. Such as niching would provide no 'advancement' but 'stomping the guts out of' or 'being more pious than' your competition would get your those cabal advancements.

0 0 0
Merindol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: cabals

It would be really nice if you guys made a cabal strictly for newbies to join. The cabal could have a hall with no powers and a basic item. This would get newbies the chance at cabal life and perhaps get them ready to join a real one. The downside to this would be legion/knight/justice ganking them over and over but you gotta learn sometime.

I think the main cabal structure works fine the way it is. The open PK area's are fine because you're in a cabal for a reason right? You are the best of the best. Just rank to 50 as fast as you can, save those surges for when you really need them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject:

What about starter clans. Example, Knights would have a squire clan for potentials. The potentials would have a channel they could use to communicate and also provide a way to send notes to all applicants (from the executor, etc.) While in the starter clan you could also gain points/ranks for certain kills anathema/contracted/evil/good etc. Which the Cabal could use to keep track of your activity and skill level. I think the main thing any MUD on the net has going for it is community. This will broaden the community aspect of the game I think a good deal.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: cabals

Merindol wrote:
It would be really nice if you guys made a cabal strictly for newbies to join. The cabal could have a hall with no powers and a basic item. This would get newbies the chance at cabal life and perhaps get them ready to join a real one. The downside to this would be legion/knight/justice ganking them over and over but you gotta learn sometime.

I think the main cabal structure works fine the way it is. The open PK area's are fine because you're in a cabal for a reason right? You are the best of the best. Just rank to 50 as fast as you can, save those surges for when you really need them.

Legion would probably just eat that cabal for dinner. I know I would. I'd eat them for dessert too, and midnight snacks.. etc.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:

I'm sure the idea could work, but I don't really like it. I think arena duels are an established means of low level practice and might be better to just offer eq rewards there to encourage more players to participate in them. A cabal shouldnt really pretend to be interested in a warrior that doesnt know how or when to use hobble and bash.

0 0 0
pip

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject:

lower level cabal guardians against lower level cabal member. fighting the guardians through the 30's an even early 40's is a bitch in itself, now you got instant curse, initiate lightning bolts, constant dispels, henchman and even worse, players can pk you inside cabal now, so maybe make the guardians the same rank as their opponent if not even weaker. i've noticed in my time in cabals that there isn't much you can do against some of the 50's when they are taking the item and then it being impossible to get it back once they run through your item keeper.

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject:

I don't really have anything useful to say about general cabal rules, but I do think that stallions should also follow illusionist through regular gate not only group gate. Because of that reason I rarely dragged my stallion around and when I did it was only because of RP reasons anyway.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject:

Erlwith wrote:
I think cabal mechanics work great, other than the open PK areas which to me seem to do nothing but circumvent PK ranges. And the product is less low level cabal chars logging in. Haven't seen Rulo since Urxu was invading. And I fail to see how getting creamed by a level 50 at 40 is "fun" or a productive use of free time spent. As far as individual cabals, they could use some balancing. Things like Knights having infinite moves is just cheap. Or if you do give them powers like that, perhaps consider balancing it out with other less useful cabal powers.

knights have pretty strict tenants on par with the same as legion when it comes to fighting 1v1 instead of gangbanging. you fail. if someone has been abusing their cabal with gangbangs against weak lone targets thats reason enough for an inquiry prayer/note to immortal at least.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject:

From what I can tell, everybody is mostly happy. I think that's a positive sign, there are meant to be advantages and disadvantages, so obviously you *should* see things you like and things you don't. As for open pk area, the problems without it are worth being rid of. I feel bad for a lowbie in a cabal being raided/owned by some guy ..who wouldn't. On the other hand, the lowbies will deliberately not level just to get in the way if its kept one-sided. Just like they used to raid out of pk and item retrieve out of pk before henchman. We just changed the "henchman" from a mob to a player. Anyway, looks good.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
From what I can tell, everybody is mostly happy. I think that's a positive sign, there are meant to be advantages and disadvantages, so obviously you *should* see things you like and things you don't. As for open pk area, the problems without it are worth being rid of. I feel bad for a lowbie in a cabal being raided/owned by some guy ..who wouldn't. On the other hand, the lowbies will deliberately not level just to get in the way if its kept one-sided. Just like they used to raid out of pk and item retrieve out of pk before henchman. We just changed the "henchman" from a mob to a player. Anyway, looks good.

Then how about a heal effect in the open pk area that behaves like legion cabal ground does in the opposing effect, but will only affect people that are 6+ levels under the person theyre currently fighting. kind of like berserker rage, they only get it on the tick when actually fighting. makes the lowbie slightly less of a pushover, while still nearly certain of going down. only effected by a single target so it cant stack with a 50+45 or 50+50 trying to kill you while youre 44-, just for abuse safety reasons.

Call it Defenders blessing, Zealots reward, Gift for the Loyal, or something.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: