Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 16 hours.

pk and abandoned realms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: pk and abandoned realms

I've played AR a bit in the past and wondered how it was going, decided to jump in and check,....

Is pk still mandatory? Or is it optional now?

I would love to get on board and rock some PvE, I loved this mud, but just hated getting slaughtered all the time in pk.

0 0 0
goofy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject:

murder is allways an option... Idea
that would be a good t-shirt

Last edited by goofy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:39 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Krakknot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject:

Its optional if you know how to run away or avoid people who want to pk you.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject:

Its not going to become optional PK here..

0 0 0
Shughurd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I still can't see AR as a PKmud anymore. Maybe i should stop playing at european hours and stay up till 5am for some PK? But maybe not.

0 0 0
Shughurd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: pk and abandoned realms

reddkey wrote:
I've played AR a bit in the past and wondered how it was going, decided to jump in and check,....

Is pk still mandatory? Or is it optional now?

I would love to get on board and rock some PvE, I loved this mud, but just hated getting slaughtered all the time in pk.

There's no PvE in AR that could be attracting anyone, you have had too much WoW and "collect 10 rattails" quests obviously.

0 0 0
Krakknot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Its not going to become optional PK here..

What does that mean? You gona boot people if they dont attack other players? Isnt it an option to try and survive in a PK mud environment without being an aggressor? People might think yer charecter is a wuss, but who cares really. I dont agree with complaining when you get pked,(although i have been guilty of it in the past). But if you choose to play here at AR, are you not given the opportunity to play your character however you want? If I choose to avoid PKing all together and always run away, I should be able to do just that.

I, for example, love playing here at AR, however, I dont take part much in PKing. Be it because I'm newer to muds, or I just enjoy traveling with others to accomplish difficult tasks. I like the PK aspect of the game, not because of its mechanics, but because it adds that extra sence of paranoya that makes you stay on your toes.

Anyways, I think being a PK aggressor is optional, but you wont have a choice when others start comming after you. then you just need to defend yourself, or run away.

0 0 0
Esura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject:

I think Dav means that there's not going to be an option to make un-PK-able characters. Obviously there are tons of people, respectable people even, who don't pk.

PvE can be enjoyable for some people. Like the first time you're in Evermore and you're like "Wow, this place is scary."

And reddkey, Krakknot is right. As long as you're uncaballed and you don't feel the need to PK other people, it's pretty easy to stay alive indefinitely. Maybe not at first but it doesn't take much to learn.

0 0 0
Krakknot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Ohhhh, I gotcha.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Thats funny shughurd because a lot of people playing wow are actually only playing the pvp part because the rest is so dull-ass boring.. and yes the pvp does also suck

0 0 0
reddkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject:

Ive not played WoW, but I did just get off of Lord of the Rings online peaking out two characters. On Lo-tro PvP is isolated. You can't even flame, the monsters and free peoples cant talk to each other. I thought that PVP quite dull.

Ive played muds since 1998 and have thoroughly enjoyed the character building and pve elements. I love the grouping aspect of this mud, in particular. One thing that steered me away from muding and into the new WoW, Lo-Tro, EQ whatever you want to call them Graphic MMO's is that PK is somewhat controled, and in Lotro in particular group quests are plentiful and its fun to run with other players in a co-op not just slaughter them.

I saw something about cabals on the main home page, and I thought AR had finally gone PK optional and was delighted. I was going to come back in and have a go. In fact I just leveled up a character to 5 the other night.

I agree Krak that Pk does make you stay on your toes, it adds a neat element to the game, that doesnt really exsist in Lotro, but there were many times, when I just didnt want to do it, I was busy training, or leveling, looking for a group to roll with, or even RP, and some monk came along and choked me. Its just annoying at those times.

As for the almost insults because I played something other than a mud for a while, please,...gamers play all kinds of games, shooters, RPG's, racing games, whatever.

Yeah I even enjoy muds occaisionally,...AR is awesome, I loved playing here. I dont see why pkers get all sour grapes whenever someone comes along with a different prespective, but thats always been the case.

0 0 0
Stephen2_Aust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject:

Hi Reddkey,

What a fantastic post above. Please don't judge the player base by the posters on this forum who are not representative. The community playing AR is fantastic and I hope you really enjoy your time here and decide to stay on for a bit.

0 0 0
goofy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject:

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject:

No pk would be lame, people would just talk a lot of crap and nobody would be able to rape them. It'd just be drama-mud with a lot of slap emote. At least with pk ranges you can properly shut up a little punk, or if you really hate some high level jerk, condie him.

0 0 0
Esura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Except most crap-talking little punks do so well below my pk range, so having mandatory pk doesn't actually do much to solve the problem of little punks and the slap emote.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject:

People of that nature would have sufficient intellect to recognise themselves as inferior and stupid in a yapping dog sort of way.

0 0 0
Mahkan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:

The worst problem for me is the slap or knee or bitch emote. Combative emotes are lame because they dont make sense. A silly little drow invoker below my pk shouldnt be able to emote beating the shit out of me.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject:

Anyhoo... if you want to get some practice in, just duel people in the arena. You can place challenges, other people can bet on who's going to win, and most importantly you will get stun instead of ending up dead. Then once you have the confidence to fight other players without that safety you will probably enjoy it a lot more.

0 0 0
Shughurd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject:

Esura wrote:
Except most crap-talking little punks do so well below my pk range, so having mandatory pk doesn't actually do much to solve the problem of little punks and the slap emote.

die bitchnab

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: