Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 17 hours.

Class guides
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esura

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Class guides

Would anyone be opposed to having players write basic guides for each class? We already have some guides on the webpage and assorted tips on forums, but things are often obsolete, information is sometimes left out, and it'd be nice to have most of the info for any given class consolidated onto one page. Yes, people often say that newbies should just go and figure things out for themselves, but the learning curve for AR is steep enough as it is and it wouldn't hurt to make the game easier to learn by having said guides. The goal would be to increase average skill for newbies by providing more written information so that they don't get steamrolled by vets as easily. It's more fun for the vet to fight someone who actually knows what they're doing, and it's more fun for the newbie not to get steamrolled all the time. Everyone wins except trash noob hunters.

Guides would include details on all of the skills and spells of the class, since help files don't cover everything. This includes lag times, which are tricky for newbies on skills like sideswipe that alternate between one and two rounds; or what are good mobs to duplicate at each rank, for example. As far as I know, this information is not classified, unlike cabal powers. It could also include more subjective info, like when is a good time to use a certain skill/spell. Since most experienced players already know most of this stuff, it mainly helps newbies who are trying to get better. I'm tired of watching newbies get owned because they just sit there and spam hobble while style disadvantaged because they heard that hobble was an "awesome skill".

If the idea meets general approval, I could start one for warrior, ranger, or ninja, although I'm sure there are people better qualified if they are willing.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If the idea meets general approval, I could start one for warrior, ranger, or ninja, although I'm sure there are people better qualified if they are willing.

Yup.

There have been a few less open to the public guides that some of the vets made, some from years ago, and I fully support the idea of new guides to help the 'learning curve' the newbies face...

But, No Offense intended, it's not a great idea for someone that's rather new to the game to write guides, like they're experts, when half their information could be wrong as well...

My recommendation:

Write your version of a "Guide" and let the people that have been here for way too many years critique it.

Save us time, and save the n00bs misinformation.

0 0 0
Mahkan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I am eager to read what you guys have to say.

PS Mandor, youre not a vet

0 0 0
Esura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject:

Wikis generally work nicely, but I'd predict a lot of vandalism and biased diatribes coming from the less, ahem, refined people around here. I'd take your recommendation, but there's something about these forums that rapidly turns "critique" into a huge flamefest. So instead of having, in your words, "someone that's rather new to the game" like me write a guide, the ideal solution would be to have a vet just write a good one in the first place. Problem with that is, no one else has been stepping up to the bat. I don't really feel like doing it now, even as a rough draft, because obviously you've got this preconceived notion that I'm just chock full of misinformation. I won't waste my time on something just to be mocked.

So, is there anyone willing to write something constructive and comprehensive instead of just letting someone else write so that you can shoot them down?

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I think this is a great idea. Problem is, it sort of dies out after a while. I think Dav or someone suggested player written class guides a while back and nothing ever happened. Maybe someone should get a group of players together to work on the guides together somehow.

But again I totally agree with updated in depth class guides. There are so many little things that go on with the skills and spells in this game that aren't readily noticeable that make a big difference in combat.

0 0 0
drkstjustice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject:

I think this would be a wonderful idea and think it would truly benefit alot of new players like myself and my friends.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject:

I can do the warrior guide right now.

"So, you've rolled a warrior. Time to get shitkicked unless you pay attention to your combat style prompt. Also, hobble and dirtkick, nub!"

Just my observations. Very Happy

0 0 0
Groq
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject:

Probably the best advice I can give you right now, is never listen to baer. Haha just kidding.. or am I??? Would be a good idea but it's just so hard with all the changes going on to keep up with a good one right now I think. Plus there are only a choice few people who are actually good at playing what they play so dunno.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject:

I am working nights for the next couple of days so if you want I could go through the berserker skill list and give information on the ups/downs of each skill and when it's appropriate to use. I could also throw in some information on strategies/tactics/best races/etc. Or I could do warriors or something else. I couldn't do thief, ninja, or dark-knight though. Never had a 50 ninja and my dark-knight and thief sucked. Drow thief with 500hp at level 49....ouch..

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject:

Groq wrote:

<E-ant> theres no such thing as rape
<E-ant> its surprise sex

Groq your signature is fucked, I don't care how immortal you are. No wonder you guys can't keep new players around.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject:

Its not Fucked.. you obviously can't spell.. the word is "Funny."

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject:

iolo wrote:
Groq wrote:

<E-ant> theres no such thing as rape
<E-ant> its surprise sex

Groq your signature is fucked, I don't care how immortal you are. No wonder you guys can't keep new players around.

Find a sense of humor before you continue talking.

And I think you probably have a huge stick up your ass too.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject:

_Clifton_ wrote:

Find a sense of humor before you continue talking.

There's nothing even remotely funny about rape. No sense of humor is needed to discern that. I hazard to guess that Groq is a) single b) overweight and c) a virgin. You're likely in there somewhere too Clifton.

Seriously now. Joking about rape? Are you really as retarded as your sound?!

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject:

Welcome to the internet kid.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject:

The internet: noun: a place where people with large egos go where they can beat the shit out of each other senselessly (verbally or physically) without fear of repercussion. Also see compensation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject:

I prefer the following equation:

Anonymity + Audience = Jackass.

That being said, that joke is freakin' hilarious. Then again, it's classic
E-ant.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject:

I could prolly come up with a class-specific guide if i get more time and internet back at home.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind these coming out. I know when I first joined there were a few class guides. Like Meteorfist's ranger guide, I read that thing inside and out as I was learning to play and I'd say it helped speed things up. Only one I'd even be remotely qualified to write one for is a ranger, maybe warrior (but that's because they're easy once you're adjusted to fighting in the game).

The idea would really have to be driven forward by imms (perhaps actively saying "yeah let's do it") for me and prolly vets too to consider doing it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject:

For the record, Groq is a registered sex offender.

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I think its a good idea, I know when I started playing I read the class guides we had back then.. some were better than others but it would be cool to get new updated ones.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: