Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 9 hours.

Just a thought
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Just a thought

I was wondering if the powers that be thought it would be a good idea to let people know that it may draw more attention to the mud if there were more logs of fights on invokation.net. Maybe just the web addie and something about how to post the logs (through a helpfile or something?). Just a small idea on how to call more attention to the mud. Also...VOTE!! I think we made it to the top 20 (even though this web site perpetually shows rank 13).

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject:

I am not well informed, but I would agree that Invokation deserves a link on AR homepage if its not already there (we have links section on the site???). it is valuable resource for learning and feedback. also id database is kind of a good knowledge builder.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject:

there is a link but it's kind of stuffed nondescriptly under "links" ... could use a more prominent placement.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject:

I dont think people can really learn anything there they can't learn on their own, except maybe bad habits like sharing who they play, and of course all the other shenanigans I'm tired of you for.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I had seen some ruckus about saying who you were on the fight logs. I am sure there was more to that, but regardless, what I dont want to happen is me doing something (posting logs?) that gets me screwed over. If, at your convenience, you could let me know what to be aware of that would be great. Thanks!....On a side note, I think by having a more visible link to invokation as well as something about posting logs would help to increase the playerbase. It would show activity, examples of combat, and invokation is a great tool in general.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject:

Actually what I think would really help retain newbies is to give them a taste of the stuff that makes this mud good in the mud school. The combat system is definitely something to boast about, i think the imms are making a mistake by not showing it off more to the newbies. Maybe stage a fight between two mobs in the academy or something.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject:

I will disagree with Dav on this one, Invokation is as someone previously stated a good example of rather healthy community that AR has. I know that as a newbie I devoured logs on ye old log board.
regardless of the "bad" connotations that are attached to it it helps the learning curve significantly, and from my perspective that is a good thing. IE you get to see alot of fights from point of view of classes that you didn't play or don't consider playing. You can learn a lot of tricks and battle basics, all things aside it is a great if not the only place to get feedback on your own logs.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject:

The ID database, logs, and about 10% of log comments are useful. The rest not so much, and some potentially harmful (the other 90% of log comments).

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject:

so lets get some responsible mods to clean up the trash on the log board so it becomes a reputable source of AR information, because there are a lot of useful resources on invokation. The logs and IDs aren't the only useful things, as a new player I found a lot of use in the maps (even if a bit outdated, better than nothing) and the script forum.

0 0 0
MrCarb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject:

It's all very well removing posts on the basis of harrassment or spam, but screening on the basis of what constitues "useful information" would
a) leave the log board looking very quiet
b) often be entirely a matter of opinion
and c) make things feel like a police state.

Just leave invokation as the childish plaground that it is, flames and all, so long as they don't flood the board to a spamming extent.

I suppose you should just try and be analytical about the logs yourself. Often when someone makes one strategicaly-minded comment it kicks off an argument over gameplay principles which can be pretty useful up to the point where it runs into a flamefest.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject:

MrCarb wrote:
It's all very well removing posts on the basis of harrassment or spam, but screening on the basis of what constitues "useful information" would
a) leave the log board looking very quiet
b) often be entirely a matter of opinion
and c) make things feel like a police state.

a) or force people to be at least somewhat mature.
b) flames are not a matter of opinion. I didn't say remove posts that are not useful information, I said clean up the trash. Trash is easy to spot, it is usually disguised as a personal attack. 90% of the childish garbage on invokation are personal attacks.
c) lol, your 'c' doesn't even make any sense. A police state? I wish people would stop using inflammatory terms like "police state" and "Nazi" to prove a point ABOUT A GAME. What government? What police? Did invokation become a nation when I was asleep last night? Boards are moderated all over the net, it isn't about a police state it is to help responsible and mature people hold discussions and those that can't be responsible or mature don't get their opinions heard.

My point is, I think that both parties are correct. Invokation is a gold mine for information, but as Dav said is also a showcase for all the flamers. So the question is how do we make invokation a reputable source of information and enticing for newbies, without all the flame crap? Mods.

0 0 0
MrCarb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject:

The goal you stated wasn't to make invokation a mature environment, but to make it a "reputable source of AR information". That means removing not just vulgarity but also stupidity. I'm not sure whether or not this is desireable. I am sure, however, that it can't be done.
As for your claim that "flames are not a matter of opinion" well, I find it hard to believe that you've never disagreed with anyone over what constitutes a flame.

Is "You're a fucking twat." a pure flame? We can probably all agree that it is. What about "l2p you fucking twat."? Again, we probably all think it is.
What about "Learn to dirt kick you fucking twat."? Grey area?
What do you do with it? Take it out? Take out the last three words? Change it to "Dirt kicking would be a wise move here."? Of course that isn't neccessarily a direct translation. You try doing something like this and I think you'll be unsuccsesful and, ultimately, unpopular.

The guys who run invokation already lock and delete threads sometimes, using their judgement as to what's acceptable. It sounds like you just want to replace their judgement with someone's which is closer to your own. Don't get me wrong; that could make things better, but there's no obvious reason to think that it definately would. Anyway, flames make me laugh.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:

MrCarb wrote:
The goal you stated wasn't to make invokation a mature environment, but to make it a "reputable source of AR information". That means removing not just vulgarity but also stupidity. I'm not sure whether or not this is desireable.

the price of stupidity is skyrocketing right now, we should obvs keep it around

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The goal you stated wasn't to make invokation a mature environment, but to make it a "reputable source of AR information". That means removing not just vulgarity but also stupidity.

Invokation is a great source of AR information already. However I wouldn't call it a reputable source because of the immaturity, flaming, and so forth that goes on there. Sorry I didn't spell that out initially.

Quote:
It sounds like you just want to replace their judgement with someone's which is closer to your own.

I'm not the one who originally called invokation out for being a poor place for new players to access because of the "shenanigans" that go on there. I’ve never said "Mods please moderate invokation based solely on what I alone think are flames" have I? But arguing that flames are a matter of opinion is like arguing that Bush being a bad president is just a matter of opinion. You can do it, but most people will just think you're stupid. The degree to which you punish flamers, is different, and definitely can have plenty of grey areas. There is a pretty solid opinion on what can constitute flaming that most sensible people can agree with. I mean... it's in the dictionary.

Quote:
Anyway, flames make me laugh.

Of course they do. I think the only people who would ever argue in the defense of being allowed to flame are those who are in fact the flaming trolls, or are entertained by the flaming trolls. Either way, I don’t think new players fall into either of those categories the majority of the time.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But arguing that flames are a matter of opinion is like arguing that Bush being a bad president is just a matter of opinion. You can do it, but most people will just think you're stupid.

Uh, no. Bush being a bad president isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. Look at any indication of the quality of a presidency and his fails. Arguing that Bush is a bad president is like arguing that the sky is blue. So I guess you're right in that regard; people would think you were stupid if you did.

0 0 0
Dalero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I agree with the prior comments. Invokation has some good information, and more importantly, current combat logs. However, I personally don't care for the flaming that goes on in the comments on particular logs. I also agree with the fact that Dav pointed out that people's identities to certain characters, attitudes and playstyles are much easier to ascertain from said comments.

What I'd love to see is a link to, hell maybe even the ye olde log boards, but a log posting site that IS highly moderated along the comments. constructive criticism and some basic directions for the newbies on HOW to get logs on a couple basic clients, (zmud comes to mind) instructions on how to post them. There's simply way to much to gain from studying the logs and learning where you went wrong or could do better for them to NOT be utilized. Let invokation.net stay the way it is, but this board has no room for nastiness in the commentary. Yea, it's not fun, but you can have a heated difference of opinion without slinging mud around. THAT'S the sign of a veteran player I think, and I belive it'd encourage those who discover the logs as well.

But thems are just my two coppers.

***Edited after a quick invokation browse***
I skimmed the logs on the front page and didnt' notice anything really bad, but I didn't browse on the older logs, which are what I belive Dav has in mind. But the commentary I saw was decent. I think it's when certain individuals are feelin froggy is when the mud flies. Smile If that's policed up, voila!~ ye old classy log board!

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject:

even this forum is full of idiotic, stupid and inflammatory posts, there are some threads here that make me downright queasy with how heavy the tone gets. no board is without them, and most of the time you are forced to sift through loads of half-text to get to useful information.
Claiming that any comments on that board are harmful??? is gross exaggeration, some advice might not be the best but there is wealth of information to be absorbed by newbies and this should be stated again and again - logs are a FUN read. Even a cursory look at the board will give you the idea that most of the people make new id's when posting their logs and rarely divulge their characters.
mods of inkblue logboard do a good job, bickering is ok. if it goes out of hand then step in.
it's ok if official AR page wishes to distance itself from player generated pages, but imms stating on official AR forum that player driven content is anything but commendable is not the best option.
current logboard will not be more prominently featured and amen... not the first and certainly not the last idea which was not liked and implemented. we'll work on it further!

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject:

if you want a better forum, reread your posts when you write them and give yourself 5-10 minutes to reflect before you post. don't force other people to clean up after you shit all over the board. the same courtesy should be extended to every place where you expect or desire some modicum of maturity.

0 0 0
MrCarb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Well, for my part, I stand by all the miss-statements I may or may not have made.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject:

I haven't got much interest in how invokation.net's creators and maintainers choose to run the site. It just isn't something I'm willing to endorse. I can't think of any sane reason why I would link to a list of every available item and maps of all the areas. To help newbies? Sorry, but that's bullshit. You have full quest system and besides exploring is something to do that makes the game worth playing.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: