Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 9 hours.

Just a thought
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject:

Emphasize the logs then. make it a log only board. Hell, is http://www.network54.com/Forum/109789/ still worth a flip? that's the Ye Olde log board. I think emphasizing the logs was the idea in mind anyhoo. The rest is icing, I'd think anyways.

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
It just isn't something I'm willing to endorse. I can't think of any sane reason why I would link to a list of every available item and maps of all the areas.

Code:
Community
Disclaimer: Please note that these are private fan sites that are not maintained by Abandoned Realms and we are not responsible for their content or rules, or for any access restrictions that may apply.
The AR Emporium    
Site containing log boards and information about the areas and equipment. Largest of the unofficial sites.

fail.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject:

This works just like how WoW does it - blizzard runs the game, and the players can link their entire wow resources/websites/whatever on the main page or under more specialized areas as long as they're legit.

Bygones are the days where everything is kept top secret ever since Invokation was created and then made publicly accessible (when Bucky left).

As far as Invokation is concerned, I'm quite certain it is legal and legitimate as a Players' Resource site and can be promoted as a site that complements a player's AR gaming experience. In fact, without Invokation, I think many of us players would have had a lot of problems trying to sort out what eq does what.

0 0 0
Davor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject:

marsd made a pretty succinct and coherent post, I'm in awe. Also, many top muds boast their community - Aardwolf links to the sites and details their content - be that maps, eq or otherwise. Aetolia (or was it Aachea or both) also links to bunch of sites and detail content, even sites which are related to scripting and such possibly "shady" content. Armageddon which is hard core rp mud and is always in top of the listings has integrated in his page, a logboard - loads of logs to show off their rp environment and how to do it. Core business of AR is pk so PK - logboard actively maintained by player base and decent database of items speaks very highly of the game itself.
I think that currently the link and decent description of the Emporium itself in link department is a good exposure. If it could/should be made more visible is another discussion - if I were to be asked, I would have thought it a good idea.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Well easiest way to promote Invokation "not as prominently, but still prominent enough" would be forum signatures until well, such sigs get removed some way or another.

Look right below this for an example.

0 0 0
Nakachi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:

I agree with that dude.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I couldn't even imagine a mud without a logboard. Sure invokation gives away some ID's and maps, etc, but it is in NO way comprehensive. There is soooo much stuff out there that it doesn't have (or has the wrong, old, ID for). Anything that stimulates interest in AR just seems like a good thing to me.

Even with invokation newbies have to learn a lot on their own. Where areas are, what skills do, where the mobs are that hold the equipment they are after, how strong different mobs are (how many newbies have mobdeathed on gnolls over the years?), how to track, how to run from a pker, how to run from a pker while blind, how to use your skills/spells in combat, which skills/spells are actually useless, how important weapon style is, how important combat style is, how to roleplay, most efficient leveling areas, what groups work best, how to level when you have no group, etc.

It looks like finding out stats on eq is really just the tip of the iceburg.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject:

IDs are harmless, thats knowledge everyone should have and helps level the playing field a little bit. Veterans really don't need that kind of advantage. I welcome everyone to IDs, logs to help them think and improve, maps I'm indifferent on but automap kind of makes it a moot point. These kind of things are just like guides though. Just general knowledge people still have to apply on their own. I'd rather people take this stuff and get better so everything is a bit more competitive, and maybe that forces me to get a little better somewhere down the line in turn.

Its only bad when you are talking about stuff like scripts, certain ooc comments, etc.

-edit: But, admittedly that is like accepting that AR is just a game you play and diminishing the mystique a bit and the illusion of a self-sustaining, artistically/culturally significant entity.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Good things, and also bad things...

What Slade said about bad things - scripts...

The script-forum in Invokation was first set up to help the average player get in touch with some of the short-cuts to aid in their AR experience available through client scripting.

It definitely wasn't intended for the more illegitimate purposes i.e. afk scripting (char rolling, remember?), tick timers yet there wasn't such a policy written nor enforced to stop them from being posted though.

For ooc comments, there has been many attempts at curbing such OOC stuff, anonymous log posting, thread locking, even user banning... Can't keep them out 100% forever though, without turning to nazi-style authoritative enforcement. It'll happen as long as some posters don't follow the unwritten code of conduct in good faith (which there are quite a number...).

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: