Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 3 hours.

Top 10 List of Helpful Information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Top 10 List of Helpful Information

This topic could go in either the Newbie Forum or here...or both. But what I would like to accomplish is a list that can help people make an impact on the game. It would be fantastic if this could be a tool for New and Old players alike and if flaming, no matter how tempting, is kept to nin-existance. We can all put what we think is the top 10 (or 5 or whatever helpful hints you would like to provide) things that would help in general...or if for a particular class, just add that amendment. I hope this turns out to be useful for everyone. So here, I will throw in my 2 cents on some things I find helpful. Some very basic things that new people may not know right off the bat. In no particular order...

1. When ranking, 3 people in the group gives the maximum bonus learning. Group bonus is retained if you only have 2 people in your group but the leader is using a pet or a mercenary as well.

2.Try not to get discouraged when you die...you WILL die. You will also lose your items. It is a tough pill to swallow, but that sense of urgency to stay alive is what makes this mud great. Don't let that sense of urgency turn the game into something bad when you do die and have all your items sacrificed. I have found that the mud allows you to compete even with mediocre items. When you die and lose your items, heal up, and head out and start getting some more. Most people won't kill you again while you are retaining items....most.

3.Use your auxilary skills. Meaning scrolls, wands, staves. These can be a huge life saver. Do not discount these skills. Ask others what good ones to use are while in-game. Most people will part with information if they have it.

4.If you are attacked, and are not really ready, run. Fight on your terms when able.

5.Keep plenty of gyvel potions (made by giving the gyvel plant located north and west of north gate seringale to Aruncus the druid). These are cure blind. If you give Aruncus 1000 coins with the plant in your inventory he will give you a level 50 cure blind. Keep the potions in your inventory, as you can not get them out of a container if blinded from a spell (NOTE: this only works on the blind spell...not dirt kicking or flashfire from Illusionists).

6.After rank 10 its open season. Don't assume someone is not going to attack you. If you see someone in your pk range, be aware that they may very well be coming for you. If they want to know where you are, especially watch out (they may just want to rank...but at least have an idea what you are going to do if they come in swinging).

7.At rank 22 start using potions from Timarin, located north and west of the Timarin town square. They make an enormous difference and are moderately affordable at that point.

8.If you are alone, with no one to rank with, you can make substantial headway into a rank using a guild reward and a rank appropriate mercenary (one closest to your rank). Using the guild reward and ranking by yourself will cover the expense of the mercenary and net you a decent amount of profit cash (your not splitting with groupmates and guild reward gives bonus to gold). Use help guild reward in game for more information on that.

9. Fighting creatures that are opposite your alignment gives greater xp. If you are good do not EVER attack something good...people or creatures. Use consider (con mobname) to know if they are good. If they are good they will smile at you...if they are evil they will grin and neutral shrugs i believe.

10. Make sure you understand weapon advantage and combat syle advantage. Also, use help on the various weapon skills...meaning help axe or help sword. Each weapon type has its own benefits and downfalls. If you have a question about any of those, simply ask. If you dont get an answer the first time ask again.

I know many of these are obvious, but for a trully new person here or new-ish, I think these are things I wished I knew upon coming back here after a long time away. Please keep these helpful hints...and don't feel you have to put 10 things down. If you have 1 use that. Also, no matter how wide someone leaves themselves open to a rebuttal, please, if you could, refrain from taking the shot. Positive things only! Thanks guys and can't wait to get some input from anyone willing to share.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Come on guys! There must be someone willing to take time away from the Mocker's Tavern posts that don't really help new people and therefore make the mud more friendly and make some posts here...which could benefit the kind of disappointing who list. There has got to be some tips you can offer. There is a MONSTROUS learning curve for this mud...and I daresay that overall it is very very far from newbie friendly. It does have some great helpfiles...and the quest system is a stroke of genius really. But there are some things out there that just aren't in the helpfiles...specifically things that you wished someone had let you know when you first started...or came back...or whatever.

0 0 0
goofy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: advanced newbie topics

note: the help files for this game are great. when your character is sleeping to regain mana/health readup on the help files.
-Be prepared, this is half the fight. the second half is try not to panic!

1. get Tintin++(for linux users) or Wintin++(for windows users) from the website below:(a free flexible mud client! the best!)

http://tintin.sourceforge.net/

2. learn too use your mud client too its fullest potential, which is easier said then done.

3. observe your skill proficiency increases and note what works best, try and find a way too increase your defensive skills like shield block, dodge, and parry, which are very useful.

4. count your steps while your running across the map, it will help you learn too run through areas faster which is a necessary step to becoming familiar with PK.

5. be "into" your character.

-make some macros for doing custom emotes.

-like CTRL + F2, CTRL + F3, etc.

-its a great way to add some out of the box personality to your characters and it feels natural to only have to press one button in response, natural easy and quick.

6. try playing/role playing a different alignment/ethos to better understand the depth in Thera's battle between chaos, law, Light and Darkness.

7. try out the command "automap" to see the mini-map in room description while you move around in the world.

8. write your background and description early on to give yourself an idea of just who your character is and what his life is all about.

9. figure out what you want in your character, and pursue it vigorously if you want to get in a cabal, or be a feared killer let it be known and ask questions, learn, practice, and experience.

10. dont be afraid to make others despise you! you can do whatever you want!

To learn more about role play read on by following the link below!
http://abandonedrealms.com/strategy/rp.php
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
deauja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject:

here is my Top 3 List of Helpful Information, its not 10, so what, deal with it..

1.Always respect players with a higher rank than your own, they will lay the foundation for your rise to power.

2.Never let one character know what another character knows, i.e. if some thief robs you don't login with your alternate character and refuse to group with/or attack that thief.

3.Never delete your character suicide is a mortal sin, you will be happy to have the character to return to later on, when you wish to play a different class.

and
try not to take it personally when somebody murders you, welcome to abandoned realms.

our community will gladly answer any questions you have about the game, if you're polite.
please don't hesitate to ask questions, I have real confidence that you will succeed here.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject:

deauja wrote:
2.Never let one character know what another character knows, i.e. if some thief robs you don't login with your alternate character and refuse to group with/or attack that thief.

Not only is that good advice, but it's actually one of the biggest game rules we have...

0 0 0
Aedan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I have checked these 10 tips thoroughly. I often plunged in the confusion while playing this game but these tips helped me a lot of playing difficult mission of this game. You have really done impressive work. Thank you so much for sharing.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: