Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 12 hours.

Why's everybody leaving?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why's everybody leaving?
Tired of OOC groups
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Tired of Deiminos (hee hee)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Tired of getting their asses handed to 'em, and using "bad RP" as an excuse to leave
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Tired of all the general bickering, bitching and bullshit
26%
 26%  [ 10 ]
Tired of Dobson and DropThat
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Tired of having their lame skill/class ideas chewed up and spit out
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tired of seeing images of various Imms doing things to barnyard animals
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Tired of the "lack of RP"
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Tired of the "lack of PK challenge/competition"
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Tired of not having the 'same experience as my old/other mud'
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 38

divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject:

I've almost stopped playing altogether for a few reasons. The biggest one though is that the mud just feels like it's dying. The playerbase used to be much, much bigger, Now it's hard to find groups and there's ussually like, 1-2 people on in your PK range. Kind of depressing to me. That and I've got less time since I'm in the navy now.

And the biggest reason is that all the nerdy mud chicks I've been after have left. Carain, Chro, that one druid that killed Code_64's ninja, Baer, Kit... I need to find another place to pick up women.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject:

i'm not leaving, and let's face it ~ if you are still lingering around the forum or chat or whatever and still are interested in AR, you haven't left either. there is a reason why AR can do for us what counterstrike, warcraft, etc fail to do for years and years.. because it is just a purely addictive game, kinda like you quit smoking but you'll have a cigarette from time to time when socializing.

as i've said, if you want the RP to pick up, you have to lead the example and start roleplaying with others yourself. i actually have seen a great increase of RP in the mud very recently. people are actually thinking of greater ideas than just cookie cutter rehashed RP. consider the case where you hate a character with one of your characters, then automatically hate that character with another one of your characters. why? consider the Herald that chooses to RP much more than he/she PKs, but can defeat you in a fight anyday. sounds like a memorable character to me.

PK will never be the end of this mud. people start because they want a PK mud, and AR gives one of the best PK foundations around and you can't deny that. from the little things like the way you can see all your exits (other muds can be quite frustrating because you can't see your exits on one line) to the advanced PK engine to the continual IMM intervention to balance gameplay, the only reason PK angers people is when they are on the other end of it. the only way to solve that is to work at it to become the best PKer in the game. that should be one of every AR's player's goals, because again we are a PK/RP mud. even a Herald should know how to fight or run, that's just the basics of this game.

playerbase is lower than first age because people can't go around rampant with no RP and overpowered spells anymore. Quazark? yeah, he had two golems that bashed and tripped, acid did much more damage, there were no saves eq, and everyone was a newbie, myself included. Sethanon? yeah, he was a fearsome vampire that knew all your hiding spots. too bad he used his Immortal to check out everything about you, multied his eq, then got on his vampire. Players like this have been booted from AR rather than being pardoned. of course he did work for AR too, like build or code or test. he had a god damn IMP, and he still got the boot. poor players are booted from this mud, and poor players/cheaters get fed up of being caught and leave.

when most of the current playerbase itself becomes quality, playerbase will rebound and the retention rate will go up. current players will realize that its awesome when they interact with other quality players and will therefore bring in their buddies who want to play an immersive game, not bring in their buddies that want to cheat and multi. before whining about others and the playerbase, we must first look at and judge ourselves.

this is my interpretation of AR's vision as a free game and community. its not AR's responsibility to give you rares, let you go around emoting, and satisfy your bloodthirst. its sometimes you that has to teach yourself, and reaching the top should be each of your character's goals (consider it the rank 50 of RP and PK). if not, why play?

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Hrmmm... Sounds disturbing that you MUD for women. Anyone ever think of sending out the Mystique through e-mail? Perhaps in smaller bits too, so those away from the game can be involved, and people trying to get others into playing can show them a bit of what goes on in AR. Just a thought. If time and staff are the main worries stopping the idea I just spoke, I for one would help in any way the staff would like to do so. Just an idea and an offer that might help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Anyone ever think of sending out the Mystique through e-mail?

I've thought about that before, but there are a couple of reasons that I don't think it would be a 'better way':

1) Access to everybody's e-mail. Not everybody's gonna want their e-mail address floating around AR, especially with the current hype about OOC connections. What better way to make OOC ties than by sending an e-mail to everybody in the game that shows them everybody else's e-mail address?

2) Even in "little bits," there's a lot to be covered. I know that a lot of you probably think that the 'Mystique' is just slung together in a few minutes, an hour tops. However, it takes a LONG TIME to get all of the articles together, edit them, re-edit them, rewrite them onto paper, bind it all together into a book, and so forth and so on. And this latest Mystique was made by MORTALS, the "easy way." Imagine if they were still made the way the other eight issues were made, having to be coded and implemented into AR's code. Sheesh... and you all thought this issue took a while to get done.

3) Hard work deserves pay-off. Again, with the Mystiques taking so long to make, one of the SMALL rewards that Heralds get from selling them is a tiny (read: nearly insignificant compared to the cost and time involved in producing them) bit of profit. If they were simply "e-mailed" to every Joe Blow in the playerbase, it would do nothing but give the Heralds that worked on it a feeling of let-down. I personally write articles for the sake of writing them most of the time, but it is kinda nice to get a little something back for your efforts.

This is totally off-subject, and I'm sorry... just wanted to address it. Back to the thread topic, however...

I don't know what exactly it's going to take to "restimulate" the playerbase, but I do know that I believe that AR's not going to continue 'losing players' the way everyone seems to think that it is currently. It's just going through a transitional phase, and people are readjusting their lives right now. It'll be back in full-swing in no time, I guarantee it.

Oh, and divsky...
Quote:
And the biggest reason is that all the nerdy mud chicks I've been after have left. Carain, Chro, that one druid that killed Code_64's ninja, Baer, Kit... I need to find another place to pick up women.

Nevermind, man... nevermind.

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Just a thought. I figured there were reason why no Mystique E-mail was made, and now that Seb has clarified I see why. I can undertsand man, completely understand. Not everybody is leaving. At tops i've seen what, two or three people actually leave? Havent we gained, 4 or 5? I'd say more than that but DropThat counts as -5 atleast, due to completely obliterating the current playerbases IQ. You know, I really hope he does live next to Divsky. I'll buy torches, Sebryn could bring tar and feathers, Viggs could bring well... whatever h'd bring, Cliftton could get a pitchfork or two, I'd suggest Clesa and Misera in leather and whips but Seb already confirmed thats a gift not a punishment, so instead Seyire and Baer could come along and bring lead pipes?

But seriously back onto the Subject, Sberyn is right on target. It's like a fine wine. This time period is a new bottle in the MUD wine cellar, give it time to age and it's flavor will come out perfectly. (I prefer tequila over wine, but its doen't work with the analogy! Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject:

divsky wrote:

I am not a woman!!!

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject:

Baer likes furries

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject:

divsky wrote:
Baer likes furries

No, no, no. Keep your insults in order.

*I* like furries. Baer is just homosexual.

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject:

amen to that!
Wink Baer

Heralds are fun, i think that they bring the rp aspect back even with the short period where heralds were immensly full. but now, theyre struggling. i've always loved heralds and writting. so i made another and im back in woot!

i say i'll quit, but i ended up get roped back into playing Thanks Clifton you rock dood, haha
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject:

w0rd. I pwn j00, seryie.

But seriously, I've come to this conclusion in all my years of ARing... I can say I'm ognna quit, wahtever whatever... but if ever I have a spare moment of boredom with nothing else to do or a gap of time, it's AR. I took a pretty long hiatus (year and a half) for girlfriend, and even during that time i found myself playing AR every once in a bit. Same for Rise of Rome era... a year, but never quit playing. So one day in chat, it was decided... Yeah... Dav, as much as I can say I'm gonna quit, but it's not gonna happen so i'm not gonna try to bs anyone.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Fuck Divsky, if you were after Kit, aka Myria, that cough syrup musta lowered your standards a thousand fold. I've seen what Kit looks like. That's like looking into the face of the abyss and giving it the thumbs and saying "Aaaaaay!"

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject:

Kit....

:shudder:

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Did I missing something or did that tard a few pages ago say that he had a storm paladin... I would trully like to see that.. cause unless shit has changed in the last three days there arent any such things as storm paladins.

I am not playing as often because I dont play evils all that often, havent in a while... and its almost impossible of late to rank goodies. I have a few goodies in the mid twenties but no one else is on or they are training or some other crap. Its tough..

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject:

try ranking a psi.. ohh the pain of waiting 10 hours for a group lol.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject:

Then having another Psi come and kill your berserker...

:grins and ducks:

0 0 0
ssgtortho

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I am leaving because I found someplace better, someplace that is what AR once was. Im talking about Aardwolf. The game is much better than AR, with quests, trivias, campaigns, and even wars that one can join. They don't the the ammount of classes that AR has, but with 200+ levels to go, there still is a lot of exploring. Clans, like guilds, are found in abundance, and there are at LEAST 300 players on at all times. The implementors add new things regularly, and the people there are MUCH more friendly than here. This will be my last post here, and I have even deleteted my Charactor, Umit the Gnome Invoker. Enjoy this failing mud if you want to, but come and see what Aardwolf has to offer, with is everything AR is failing at.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject:

1) If it's "better," then I'm sorry to see that you strained to pull yourself away from it long enough to post about it being better.
2) 'Trivias'? What the hell does a mud need 'trivia' for?
3) Clans, like guilds? You mean like cabals? Even still, big freakin' deal... anybody can make a 'clan' and have their buddies join in. Cabals are meant for the elite. I guess that's why you couldn't even make it into the Heralds.
4) People there are much more friendly because the standards are low. They're not expected to roleplay to save their lives.

Have fun, good riddance.

0 0 0
Green Elephant

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject:

He's leaving because his new mud has "altar boy" mobs.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject:

There used to be storm paladins. Back in the day. That's the reason why Coven/Vandit was such a kick-ass PKer even when he couldn't spy on people's hiding spots with an immortal.

0 0 0
krok

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject:

well i left AR after playing for about 4 years or so. took a little break. now iam back and NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!! I havent had played for bit over year, now when i started. what was the biggest thing i discoverd? river had changed, few quests have moved, no more market square, fells and abys are gone and thats pretty much it. I loved the Ar when there was football games etc. it was fun. but now? maybe its just me but its boring.
the reason i left was that it was getting boring. and RP was gone, all i heard in the last end was f*** U ill log on with my warlord/legion/knight and rape you if you dont give me your things. Fun? i doubt it. i left when Naydra (was spelled like that i think) was the knight leader. And returned last week.
So Dav and other imms PLEASE do something new, maybe another attack from fells? Right now it is still boring, played for week and already bored. Embarassed

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: