Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 21 hours.

Looking for some pk-related ideas.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Looking for some pk-related ideas.

I'm looking for suggestions that pertain to the central theme for the mud. i.e. its a pk game, and thus we should care about strategies and execution. I am finding that its not really my forte to think these sort of things up, as I'm a bit too much of a h/n/s guy.

I will give an idea as an example (I'm not saying its good, its just an example)

You are allowed to go over your weight capacity by up to 20%. However, if you do so, you will suffer "encumberance" which is a movement-point penalty

The idea strikes through the following facets of gameplay:
- rangers that are overburdening themselves with arrows and ignoring weight limit, because it doesn't check that
- low strength /high dex has some trouble with weight, and this helps temporarily (buying monster potions comes to mind, and also when you kill red dragon and you just want to shift the gear a room away so he dont repop, and you get this annoying back and forth thing going on)
- high strength should still enjoy the convenience of not having to worry about the cap
- spells like weaken/poison have potential to harm moves, which hits thieves and ninjas, shamans too but they have other tools. +str stat may even be necessary for pvp vs rogues that manage to apply poisons, because otherwise you wont be able to run away after backstabs. i.e. here is the strategy - putting someone over weight capacity causes them an issue

Well.. we could continue to discuss that.. but, your turn . Please put ideas into new threads so that we can discuss them together in one place. Keep them simple and preferably subtle for pvp. Use this thread to discuss the example idea, since it might actually make it in.

0 0 0
Blyden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject:

As a half-elf ranger, it is difficult for me to try and find gear to fit my 350 lb maximum along with the thought of when I ranger bow and carve deadfall. Essentially this will just take away my pathfinding. I know I should be able to find lighter equipment but I am generally someone who plays evil chars and I do not know much about lightwalker equipment so I grab whatever seems to work and worry about weight second. Good and bad sides to it in my opinion but for my mage class chars I like it.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject:

You have to post a note to immortals before PKing someone
Would help with the trash and force more RP PK's
Unless you enter the realms in the same room you should always be able to do it ,,, Doesnt have to be a long note and of course cabals would be exempt ,, Maybe you have to do this for your first 10 Initiatted attacks or something untill you get your lisence to kill

Holy shit , thats not that bad of an Idea

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject:

The 'movement point penalty' led me to remember an idea I had a while ago -- reduced movement SPEED. For example, while encumbered, the lag would be 50% longer than normal movement. This could also be implemented elsewhere, for things like hobble and enfeeblement.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Viggs wrote:
Unless you enter the realms in the same room you should always be able to do it ,,, Doesnt have to be a long note and of course cabals would be exempt ,, Maybe you have to do this for your first 10 Initiatted attacks or something untill you get your lisence to kill

you're kidding.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Erlwith wrote:
Viggs wrote:

you're kidding.

I havnt decided yet
wouldnt have to be read and approved or anything first ,, just for review puposes , Res can review them,,give him something to do *wink* or he could move this to its own thread like dav said and I just now figued out sorry

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Viggs wrote:

We would get nothing else done.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
Viggs wrote:

We would get nothing else done.

shit , didnt think of that ,, nm

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking on this a little last night and there were a couple things that I thought of.

The first involves the whole scrolls bit. I think you should consider reciting scrolls (maybe also zapping with wands or brandishing staves) to have some drain on mana. From a role-play standpoint, I think reading and reciting a scroll would be a drain on mental energy, thus should drain mana a little. From a balance standpoint, this wouldn't give healers and shamans completely free heals with medic scrolls and energy scrolls any more, and wouldn't affect the other mage classes/thieves and ninjas too much.

The second involves the catching your opponent sleeping deal. If I want to kill someone, and I come across them sleeping in the middle of the forest, I'm sure as hell not going to do three maims to him and have him be down only 10% of his health. I know that charge has a bonus on sleeping targets, that spell casters can spell their sleeping targets up to some degree, and rogues get backstab/assassinate if their target is already at full health. But I think there should be a damage multiplier if you catch your opponent sleeping. That way those healers who are trying to catch all the ticks they can, can get a little something extra when their target gets a bit too close.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Right. When you find someone sleeping, you don't start slicing their limbs with your sword, you slit their throat. You don't beat them with your mace, you bash in their skull. The only problem is that mechanics like that would be really really imbalanced for some classes.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some pk-related ideas.

Davairus wrote:
...here is the strategy - putting someone over weight capacity causes them an issue...

This is a great idea and in fact was a feature of another mud I used to play. You could give someone 50 torches or whatever and they became encumbered, making the lag from moves incredibly frustrating. A good trick to make it near impossible for them to run away from you.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for some pk-related ideas.

iolo wrote:
This is a great idea and in fact was a feature of another mud I used to play. You could give someone 50 torches or whatever and they became encumbered, making the lag from moves incredibly frustrating. A good trick to make it near impossible for them to run away from you.

That's sort of retarded unless we're talking about a new rogue skill to plant items.

0 0 0
Emilise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject:

I agree. why would someone just randomly accept all those items from you?

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Uh I can walk up to you and hand you my dung. Why would you take that from me? You do, because ITS THE GAME CODE. Make it so you can go over your weight limit, but then slows your moves (encumberance).

0 0 0
Emilise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject:

If you are going to do that, though make there be a lag to handing someone an item. Ie the time it takes them to reach out and grab it from you.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject:

If someone hands you an item that would put you overweight you'll instantly drop it instead of accepting. Problem solved.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject:

That's a good idea Erl, though it would not be good if you were handed a nice item legitamately, you dropped it because of weight and some vulture bitch snagged it. Perhaps make the code so if you have adrenaline you can't receive items if the item would encumber you.

0 0 0
wudst

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject:

The problem would be solved just for that problem.

If someone hands you uber rare at NS, you become encumbered, you drop the uber rare. It dissapears. Super frustrating. I like the idea of slowing movement down rather than insta killing moves because after you run away, you will have time to drop whatever crap they had handed you and you wont be down to 100 moves. That provides for the tactic of handing someone stuff, and it also doesnt completely hobble you.

I like the idea all in all.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Umm.. Slowing movement is cancelled by having a groupmate pulling you around with /fol. It has to be either movement points or a dex penalty.

I wouldnt want to allow players/charmies to give you stuff just to deliberately overburden you with them.. its only ok for quest-type mobs to do that and if you actually "buy" or "get" the item yourself. Otherwise it would say "hes carrying too much weight"

I'm surprised we're debating this stupid idea

Quote:
I think you should consider reciting scrolls (maybe also zapping with wands or brandishing staves) to have some drain on mana. From a role-play standpoint, I think reading and reciting a scroll would be a drain on mental energy, thus should drain mana a little. From a balance standpoint, this wouldn't give healers and shamans completely free heals with medic scrolls and energy scrolls any more, and wouldn't affect the other mage classes/thieves and ninjas too much.

I thought about that myself but then there are times when you have 0 mana and you really need that scroll

0 0 0
wudst

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject:

I dont understand that argument? There are those times where you really need that heal spell too... but if you are out of mana...

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: