Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 1 hour.

Reinstating Warlords as a Quest Class/Race/Cabal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reinstating Warlords as a Quest Class/Race/Cabal

I just love the idea of a badass warrior placing a challenge on an honorable foe or a deathmark on a traitorous dog then hunting them down and beating them to a pulp then performing a brutal fatality.

My idea would be to reintroduce warlords in a capacity akin to vampires. They would have no cabal/item, but instead would have to apply at 30 or whatever the vampire criteria is, then fight and show their honour through RP and actions until they are let in. Once they become a warlord they would retain all the attributes of their race/class but would gain the warlord cabal skills as normal skills at normal ranks (i.e. cognizance at level 35, stance at level 40, forms at level 50, etc).

At any one time you would have a maximum of say 2 warlords. They would be seen as nomads wandering the land looking for worthy foes and great battles. They could remain neutral in all aspects (i.e. no affiliation with cabals). They wouldn't be obligated to help the weakest cabal or anything. They would only be bound by their moral code, to seek out and challenge those who are honorable and compitent, and to put a deathmark on and brutally slay those who they know to be dishonorable (i.e. gangbangers, vulture-looters, cabal hiders, etc).

I would say make Warlords availaible to any neutral/evil warrior/ranger/berserker with a neutral or chaotic ethos. No goods obviously because your code of honor might require you to deathmark hoarding/gangbanging healers or paladins.

0 0 0
kieros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject:

been saying this for years, I hope that it catches on since it seems u have clout

0 0 0
Blyden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject:

I have been playing this game for a very long time, granted I just started playing again after not playing for 2-3 years and I always played Warlords. The biggest difficulty for a Warlord type would be the lack of potions from jemira. It is also much harder in what I have learned to fight without an aura or something of the sort pvp at those ranks when you run into another fighter class who has concentration and such to dominate you with if they get superiority. Where as the old Warlords did not have to deal with that. I guess it would make the new Warlords have to prove themselves that much more...But I would definately want to see if my fighter skills could ever improve enough to make myself a new warlord.

I love Warlord chars and always have. I would continue to try making one.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Not a bad idea for something down the road. Even if warlords were to re-emerge, i don't think you'll see forms.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Blyden wrote:
I have been playing this game for a very long time, granted I just started playing again after not playing for 2-3 years and I always played Warlords. The biggest difficulty for a Warlord type would be the lack of potions from jemira. It is also much harder in what I have learned to fight without an aura or something of the sort pvp at those ranks when you run into another fighter class who has concentration and such to dominate you with if they get superiority. Where as the old Warlords did not have to deal with that. I guess it would make the new Warlords have to prove themselves that much more...But I would definately want to see if my fighter skills could ever improve enough to make myself a new warlord.

I love Warlord chars and always have. I would continue to try making one.

The life of a warlord is meant to be a grueling experience. They would definately turn their nose up at the thought of using potions to rank and applicants have always had to fight people who use sanc. No one going for warlord should expect an easy ride.

These guys would be masters of one on one combat (i.e. never allowed to group to fight, even if it would be 2v2) but would be susceptible to the gangbang. Their strict code of honor would make them refuse assistance even in a 2v1.

If you took away forms you could replace it with some other sort of weaker combat bonus, maybe give them the automatic ability to strike chakreh points on peoplel ike monks (i.e. punch the face to stun for a round, pinch a shoulder to lower strength, etc).

Last edited by Kalist19 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I like this idea, the same wait time as vampires would root out the people who actually have patience and can take deaths.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject:

I really don't like how vamps have a 3-6 month wait time now. It's not going to root out people who can't take deaths, it's going to encourage them to sit at 30, get decked out, and fireball spam everyone who comes into range. Not helpful at all.

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Such the optimist...And if you couldn't tell, I was talking about Warlord apps.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject:

When the combat/weapon styles came into play, I was playing Nychlas and Davairus and Burzuk set it up beautifully. I wouldn't perform the forms unless i was in combat style and that was pretty difficult to keep up with. I like the idea at hand, because Warlords were definetely the one cabal that you would be inducted too that would force you to fight and to learn how to hold your own, unlike now where you have cabals that are centered around groups and only forced pks with contract/anathema/danger. It's just a shame that people would rather go uncaballed because they don't want to have to deal with niches and gangbangs, but could choose the option of Warlord to get themselves settled into the fighting scene.

Just my two cents.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject:

I don't think they would need anything to replace forms. Stance and cognizance cover up the biggest fallacies of no_magic. Deathmark and fatality because it doesn't affect gameplay, it's just RP and totally badass. I doubt anything else is appropriate without a cabal to defend.

0 0 0
jeoparty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject:

Sick idea.

Forms at their finest:
http://www.invokation.net/logs/view.php?id=2240

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject:

Keeper was meant to be the Warlord reboot. We have guidelines for Keeper that basically ensure they take on the most challenging people in their pk range just like the Warlords were supposed to (let me remind you that they didnt, and that they gear whored and powermongered as much as Legions). Essentially we replaced no-magic with no-rares.

We don't require cabal skills that benefit warriors so exclusively anymore because of the combat modules. Instead of talking about "bring back Warlords" we should be focusing on "fix Keepers". Realise that what you are talking about is what fire giant warriors at 50 are already like, besides having a mortal kombat fatality skill. Join Legion and tainted sac those corpses.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Fatality was badass though...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: