Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 11 hours.

Rangers, Volley, and Shield Block...Oh my

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Rangers, Volley, and Shield Block...Oh my

I was curious as to why volley is a skill that seems to require that a shield be worn in order to use it, though rangers get volley at rank 3 and can not use it until rank 9 (when you get shield block). Perhaps either make volley rank 9 with shield block, or drop shield block to rank 3. Or, if there is some way to use volley otherwise just let me know.

0 0 0
Stephen2_Aust

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:

LOL, firstly it's 6 ranks between 3 and 9, who's going to notice??

Secondly, you can wear a shield without knowing shield block can't you? If you can't, then I'm sorry, I'm an idiot and I agree with you.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject:

You can't wear a shield without shield blocking skill...well unless you never removed it after creation. It isn't a huge deal, but to be consistant and well, to make a stitch of sense to our newbies, a very small tweak would be nice to be made.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Shields should not be autoequipped in the first place for newbies.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't disagree with that comment Erlwith, I had created a ranger and just thought it was quite odd to have a skill (volley) that you could not use until 6 ranks later. I just think it is an oversight and not a "game changer". Either or, I have leveled to 9 and now can use both shields AND my rank 3 volley.

0 0 0
Tiqa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject:

When I was new I was very confused with shields because I was able to hold a shield in the mud school but later I was not able to hold one. And the volley help file says “….javelins cannot be equipped without a shield equipped as a proper stashing place for them”. So it didn’t make sense to me how I was suppose to do the volley skill when I couldn’t even hold a shield.

Help “shield” leads to “fire shield”. When I got to level 9 and practiced ‘shield block’ I still didn’t understand that ‘shield block’ was the skill that allowed me to hold a shield. The file says “The shield block skill allows one to block an incoming attack with a shield” and lists the classes that get this skill. That made sense, but it goes on to say that “Characters with no shield block skill will not be able to defend themselves well with a shield”. I read this as characters without shield block couldn’t defend themselves WELL but they could still defend themselves not so well with a shield.

Somehow much later in the game, I figured out that I could hold a shield and volley but I never understood how I suddenly could hold a shield. I didn’t tie in being able to hold a shield to the ‘shield block’ skill.

I agree with Stiehl and Erlwith.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject:

It's simply this:

All new char's are givin a combat eq on creation, which includes a shield. If you remove the shield without having the shield block skill yet, you won't be able to reequip it.

The thing is, the combat set has stat pts attributed to it, which would encourage you to wear them until you can get basic armor (and trains to max stats)

Your point makes sense Striehl but it's too nitpicky when there's other things to be done. You can only kill yourself before 10 due to mass ignorance (n00bdom or not paying attention) to the game, in which case having a shield or not at those ranks won't save you. And there's no decent javelins you can use at that rank anyway.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject:

Amdorin wrote:
All new char's are givin a combat eq on creation, which includes a shield. If you remove the shield without having the shield block skill yet, you won't be able to reequip it.

Not quite true. Only characters that are able to shield block start out with a game.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject:

_Clifton_ wrote:
Amdorin wrote:

Not quite true. Only characters that are able to shield block start out with a game.

I made a thief that started out with a shield though. Unless they changed it recently.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject:

Amdorin wrote:
_Clifton_ wrote:
Amdorin wrote:

I made a thief that started out with a shield though. Unless they changed it recently.

Recent change. You gotta stay up on the up and up son. Laughing

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: