Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 13 hours.

Looking for anti-chaotic alignment suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wudst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject:

I agree with Stiehl to the extent that if we had cool lawful items and no chaotic items lawful's would be more prominent than they are now, depending on how cool the lawful items were, a bit less than chaotic probably, however certainly not the overwhelming numbers we see now.

I disagree that those items define the difference between chaotic and neutral. I think neutral is useless, unless you are going for keepers. Chaotic items just accentuate how fucking useless having a neutral ethos is.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject:

If people would roleplay their ethos, <rant>. FFS people.

0 0 0
RebornShadows

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject:

i agree with clif. And hey not all neut neut people go for keepers.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject:

After analysis and contemplation for several hours tonight I have deliberated that the cause of the chaotic mess is chiefly the wild weapon attacks. The weapons are indeed easier to get than rares, however this has drawback of being rotdeath and also the non-returned items/swift common criminal problem. What makes those weapons so good is that lethal "chakera strike" like effect they do. It is clear that Burzuk intended them to backfire when he made that sometimes result in crap damage instead of good damage. And the lower aves are a good way of keeping the sustained damage output pretty average. However this doesn't eliminate the chakera strike affects every once in while which is very appealing (because it kills people) its no wonder everyone wants chaotic.

My response was to place "wild strikes" on both combatants when a wild weapon is in the mix. So if you're wielding a wild weapon you might do a nice "chakera strike" but you also might take one. Chaotics will have the advantage of determining whether the battle will be like that, but now it really can backfire on them. If we are worrying this is too strong then it can always fire at a reduced rate or something.

At the moment I don't see a need for further fixes

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject:

What will happen if a chaotic thief with a spider blade, for example, backstabs someone and the wild affect goes off? Also, lets say that thief is absolutely retarded (or a newer player who is trying to catch up to the combat modules and obscure things (off hand attacks for ninjas are better?? huh what?? where does it say that??...thieves have a higher weight capacity than other classes with the same strength??)) and backstabs a warrior with a wild weapon hits his double backstab, gets countered and somewhere in there with the counters and backstabs the wild attacks go off (super unlikely...but possible). I don't even think "unspeakable things" would be good enough of a damage message for that. Poor thief.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Stiehl26 wrote:
What will happen if a chaotic thief with a spider blade, for example, backstabs someone and the wild affect goes off? Also, lets say that thief is absolutely retarded (or a newer player who is trying to catch up to the combat modules and obscure things (off hand attacks for ninjas are better?? huh what?? where does it say that??...thieves have a higher weight capacity than other classes with the same strength??)) and backstabs a warrior with a wild weapon hits his double backstab, gets countered and somewhere in there with the counters and backstabs the wild attacks go off (super unlikely...but possible). I don't even think "unspeakable things" would be good enough of a damage message for that. Poor thief.

I have no idea what you said there, but I read something about counter and backstab. Counter works based off of incoming damage and modifies and redirects it back. It don't think it actually calculates damage to do. Backstab actually runs numbers to figure out how much damage is going to be dealt based off weapon average, so I think somewhere in there the wild affect can proc. When that happens, what you see will be

X's wild pierce >>> ERADICATES <<< Y.

Note that it's not wild backstab [http://www.invokation.net/logs/view.php?id=3567]. This says to me that while wild backstabs are possible, wild counters are not.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject:

_Clifton_ wrote:

I have no idea what you said there, but I read something about counter and backstab. Counter works based off of incoming damage and modifies and redirects it back. It don't think it actually calculates damage to do. Backstab actually runs numbers to figure out how much damage is going to be dealt based off weapon average, so I think somewhere in there the wild affect can proc. When that happens, what you see will be

X's wild pierce >>> ERADICATES <<< Y.

Note that it's not wild backstab [http://www.invokation.net/logs/view.php?id=3567]. This says to me that while wild backstabs are possible, wild counters are not.

I think counter has been changed. When it used to be like this I remember killing a thief in 1 blow by countering his huge backstab.

Now when you counter someone you block their attack and swing with your own weapon. If I was wearing a sword and countered clifton's backstab it would say:

You yell 'Help! I'm being backstabbed by Clifton!'
You turn Clifton's attack against him.
Your slash MASSACRES Clifton!
Clifton has a few cuts and bruises.

Since you are attacking with your own weapon it might be able to be wild but it would be independant of the incoming damage....I think?

I could be totally wrong on this.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject:

So, I came a little late to the discussion, but just to throw my two cents in:

I like the idea of doing something with banking, but not allowing chaotics to use a bank at all would be pretty awful for them.

How about that because they are inherently untrustworthy, chaotics cannot use normal banks, but have to go to special 'banks' (aka moneylenders, loan sharks, however you want to describe it). These banks can either (or both) 1) Be in out of the way places, 2) Charge exorbitant interest rates--yeah, you can put 100K in the bank when you want to, but any time you want to take something out you have to pay 30%.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject:

I don't think the whole trustworthy thing really applies in this situation. After all, they have your money and not the other way around.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject:

Chaotic doesnt mean untrustworthy, it means unpredictable. If they where chaotic-evil, well thats another thing altogether.

0 0 0
Insom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject:

If it's going to be like that, then Legion should control the chaotic evil bank. Now what would be interesting is if you were able to rob banks.....

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject:

I think it would be neat to have more ethos restricted items. It seems unfair that chaotics have it all.

0 0 0
MrCarb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject:

Ok, so this change has sorted out the craziness of wild attacks and now being chaotic isn't as sweet as it used to be, so I'm all for it. But isn't there still a bit of an equipment issue with other ethos, particularly for evils? When wild items/weapons came in, there was a) a bunch of new weapons which were wild, b) a bunch of existing items that were tagged as wild and c) the sweetest gamled-item shops selling exclusively wild gear.

It is still alot easier to find passable equipment at almost any rank as a chaotic (just having options like the dangerous dagger, the axe of mahn tor, the dagger of chaos, the spider blade, not to mention all the gambled goodness and chaotic-only armor, too) makes life so much easier, and I think chaotic will remain over-reprsented as long as this is the case. The numbers of wild gear might not look that huge in the great scheme of things, but they tend to be precisely those items that are decent and easy to get.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Like Davairus said, the main reason people use the wild weapons is for that huge chakera strike, which when luckily timed will win you fights. Doing a grazes/wounds isn't going to cause you to lose, but hitting a *** may cause you to win. But now that it goes both ways, fights vs chaotics should be more interesting. I'm waiting to see a wild weapon vs wild weapon fight and see the wild attacks just fly.

0 0 0
TheOneAndOnly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject:

So I've thought about this and here is what I've come up with:

Lawful alignment should drop adrenaline faster - wisdom check would decide how quickly.

Lawful should be allowed to enter any guild within Seringale. As they are not allowed to attack in Seringale no harm should be done. With attacking the guild guardian adding adrenaline it would prevent people from guild hopping to prevent pk.
(or)

(not sure about this one) Allow Lawful to enter guild regardless of adrenaline - Seringale acting like a safe haven for Lawfuls. As Lawfuls are not permitted to attack in town this would be a minor obstacle for the aggressor vs. a tide turning action by the lawful. Guild guardians of Seringale are weak anyways.

I like the idea that chaotics should not fall under the protection of the Justice (or perhaps chaotics that are common criminals) - this would allow chaotics to slaughter chaotics while the lawful and justice sit comfortably within Seringale. I do understand the mentality that Justice is enforcing the law without bias but from the pk perspective I like the added element.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject:

I already have bank cap and interest rate changes in the mind for chaotics, but I did say I wasn't really convinced any further modifications than the wild weapon change were necessary. We want to just address the root of the problem and leave it, not throw in bells and whistles because we're bored or something. People can play chaotics to save time wasted on gaining gold for gambling (presumably because they'd rather spend that time pvp), and that's ok.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject:

I still say nerf the wanted flag. Leave the really painful shit for bountied.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject:

_Clifton_ wrote:

Also,
Quote:

0. Have an idea.
^ This step is pretty simple.
1. Identify biases.
^ How does this idea directly affect your tendencies? Is it going to buff your current or future character? What do you get out of it?
2. Eliminate bias from idea
^ Otherwise, your idea sucks to start of with. If you know you'll be getting something out of having this be implemented, other people will too and can call you out on it.
3. Reconsider from an AR perspective
^ How does your idea fit into the scheme of the game? Will it leave one class vulnerable or overpowered? Can it be abused/cheesed/scripted? Will having it be abused/cheesed/scripted affect how usable it is? If Clifton got a hold of it, what damage could he do? (And other things along these lines of thought)
4. Draw a conclusion
^ Does it still seem like a good idea now that I've thought about it? Could I list out the benefits, drawbacks, and potential exploits?
5. Post it
^ Now it's time to wait for everyone else to post their feedback, criticisms, and all the other things that you took for granted or overlooked.
6. Congratulate yourself.
^ A good post without yet again seeming like an idiot. Go get some ice cream.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Being Wanted sucks balls if you hadn't noticed. So much so that practically no one under rank forty attacks in town because they don't want to deal with the special guard and xp loss from being wanted, not to mention you can't buy anything from certain shops, the guards in Seringale attack you when you're visible, and Dagnir attacks you even if you're invisible.

I agree with Clifton that the cons to being wanted should be toned down. It seems like Justice is always one of the more inactive cabals and I think that's because everyone is so bored as Justices because no one ever breaks the laws when a Justice is in town. Though the new legion item stealing gag should give them more to do and might actually cause a rise in interest in Justice. But I agree with Clifton on this one.

0 0 0
wudst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject:

I third (obviously). I think it would really intensify the pk atmosphere and bring justices to not being bored as poop with the lower pbase...

I really think justice needs something, and I think this would be it.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: