Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 9 hours.

pvp'ing mentality
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject:

pretty sure the way you (you being myself and most of the people that've been around years) is getting trashed out repeatedly and picking yourself up and trying to figure out wtf happened. (seriously, getting ganked the instant you hit 15 by two bashing warriors leaves you staring at the screen for a good few moments). the most discouraging part of pk is the loot. but if re-equipping is second nature, then the most discouraging part of being pk'ed is a bruised ego.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Like I said, I agree with you clif, the boot straps way is probably the most time honored tradition of mudding. However, with an influx of newbies, it may be a good idea to brainstorm ways to make them good at PK so they feel more inclined to stick around.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject:

Faelon, what you are not understanding is that there is a select set of asshats that doesn't want the newbies to get better. They like to kill newbies, take all their things, relentlessly taunt said newbie, until that person decides that their time would be better spent elsewhere. No matter what anyone says, the combat module is not some intuitive thing that is just picked right up. It requires a bit of a learning curve.

I wouldn't be surprised if clifton wasnt one of the people power-ranking the newbies to 15, logging off with his newbie leveling character and then logging on with his level 18 character and butchering the remaining group and full looting them to show how undeniably "awesome" he is.

0 0 0
Stephen2_Aust

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject:

Stiehl26 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if clifton wasnt one of the people power-ranking the newbies to 15, logging off with his newbie leveling character and then logging on with his level 18 character and butchering the remaining group and full looting them to show how undeniably "awesome" he is.

Not a nice post, and very inaccurate... Why the need for personal attacks?

But you're right when you say that full looting is a bad thing, in my opinion, unless it's rares etc...

(Random idea)Maybe only rare items and gold should be lootable?

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject:

Stephen2_Aust wrote:

(Random idea)Maybe only rare items and gold should be lootable?

You'll have to pry this slab of beef out of my cold, dead hands.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject:

Stiehl26 wrote:

Rofl. I'll bite. Who the fuck are you exactly? Yeah you can shout the loudest, but what substance do you have to back up your vociferousness? I want to apologize for your mommy-daddy and daddy-daddy lying to you and telling you that you're special. You aren't. So again, who the fuck are you exactly? Have you ever been mentioned as a decent pk'er? Have you ever been mentioned as a decent rp'er? Honestly, who was your last remotely decent character?

Don't remember? Yeah, neither can I. So... who the fuck are you? No one? Cool beans.

But me, yeah you're pretty much right. I am undeniably awesome. You know why? Because I'm not you.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject:

Just when I thought Stiehl was getting less stupid...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject:

Dun dun dun....

Another thread bites the dust.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Let's bring it back on track, since you were obviously looking for feedback, Dav. What do you think of the ideas so far? Help us (minus Stiehl) help you.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject:

You know what disgusts me the most in this thread? Its the fact that most of you buy into coddling newbies. Its analogous to abstinence only sex education. Basically avoiding the whole question entirely so that when the situation actually arises (sex/kill, full loot), they don't have the tools necessary to deal with it. Do you really think its a surprise that atrol is no longer showing up after going 1-18 this month? He had disruption and vaelsram at one point for fucks sake. I'm sure he enjoyed the hours he put in to farm gear for other people. So yeah, if you want to fix the pk mentality, don't wait till level 50 after they've put in a shitton of hours to show the possible amount o discouragement to them. Some, I'd even argue most, people aren't cut out for this game. But those that are, those that can handle the ups and (mostly) downs of this will end up being addicted because there is absolutely no other game available that has the level of depth as well as colorful rp that ar does.

0 0 0
Insom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject:

We need Ranix and Keth back to repeatedly trash pk at the low levels, then the discouragement comes bright and early.

0 0 0
RebornShadows

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I agree with clif*

Every person who plays this game now and those who played the game had taken a wicked beating. What do most of us here do? We pick ourselves back up and say I am going to kill that fucker sooner or later.(sometimes its much much much later)

I dont like the idea of just beating the hell out of them over and over and over and over again unless they throw themselves at you. But no matter how pissed off you get at this game say you are never playing it again well 9 times out of 10 you is gonna come back.

Last edited by RebornShadows on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Insom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject:

everybody except Baer who apparently likes it up the ass.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Maybe an exp bonus from "battle glory" as a reward for killing the current juggernaught, or being the juggetnaut and getting a pk gives you it

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject:

yeah and maybe 50's can get a gold bonus or something along the lines of a personal contract (in terms of gold of course). rank 15 kills rank 1 booya 50k in the bank

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject:

We want ratings to measure player skill, not influence it.

Its pretty risky putting rewards on player death, especially, because it opens up all sorts of OOC mischief. Its pretty hard for someone to abuse something like killing the juggernaut = timed exp bonus because the rating drop and they won't want the death if they have a good pk record. and its useful because it means someone who has been pk'ing (which usually means not levelling) gets more pk's headed their way without having to go looking for them. Having the juggernaut just recieve a 'battle glory' permanent exp bonus might be an incentive to get to the top of the pk range, but might also promote too much trash pk'ing, as people will then definitely want to kill the useless duff in their range to cement their claim on the title. Is that a good or bad thing? I am not sure and I'm thinking about it. It seems like it would stimulate pvp in the way I wanted and we already wanted people to fight over the title, and its not like logging out with it is going to get you ranked... because you dont have that title when your pk range is empty. My main concern is just the trashy shenanigans that might ensue, like they did back in the day with exp points for pk's (people have actually grinded out whole levels by pk'ing in emerald back in the first age).

But when you start handing 50k gold out for getting a pk, that's something that can be abused easily with trash characters to create a pk advantage.

I will view your suggestion as a concern that its a problem for a pvp'er to get gold, maybe because they dont like grinding mobs for coins, or players arent carrying enough gold, or whatever reason.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject:

I am not sure if it has been suggested, but could a possible reward be a "surge" like affect in regards to obtaining coin after you have killed someone? The duration could be based upon how tough your opponent was compared to you.

0 0 0
Insom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject:

I suggest a reward of custom titles with fully rped pks at any level. This promotes both RP and PK but would require an increase in IMM interaction with the players. For example Permontar's custom title was really cool.

0 0 0
Gadlo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject:

i feel that pvp has changed from player with most skill has the advantage to the player with best mapper software/has memorized maps has the advantage since the automap feature was removed from room descriptions.

I personally liked it before as it put everyone on a level playing field as far as navigating the realms. Playing as a healer (lots of running/chasing) i can definately tell a big difference in those I fight against, plus is a bit more difficult for myself as well.

I can already see an increase in the number of lower level *new* players that still have access to automap.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:

I have a similar observation to Gadlo's: I don't use tick timers, chase scripts, or any triggers. I only use macros, which I set manually in ZMud. Looking at some of the fight logs on invokation, I think this puts me at a significant disadvantage.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: