Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 7 hours.

Idea for invoker shield additions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerties

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Idea for invoker shield additions

Some discussing in #spoon brought up some ideas for adding effects to the invoker's shields (fire, ice, mana.)

Fire shield - adds temp blind from smoke in the eyes of a fleeing opponent. Lasts about .5 round and helps against skrimishing.

Ice shield - Slows attacks of your enemy. 2nd 3rd and 4th attacks have 50% chance of firing.

Mana Shield - Adds 'protection' from physical attacks. Damage lowered like 'protection' spell, but saps mana in the process.

Up for your discussion. Post other ideas if they come to you.

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject:

I think that fire and ice shield should be afflictive spells that surround the invoker. Wearing afflictive saves will help lower the damage, but as it is now the spells are protective and just do alot of damage. Doesn't really make sense to me. You're idea, I don't like. Invokers already have enough in their arsenal, and mana shield doesn't have anything to do with physical attacks. You're basically copying the barrier spell that healers get and tweaking it a bit.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject:

fire shield. good idea.

ice shield. overpowered. turns people into sitting ducks, even if they use fire weapons to deal extra damage because of ice shield.

mana shield. name would have to be changed to mana dump or auto fail. an invoker needs fast nuking to kill (and survive), getting mana dumped by 8 attacks a round from a hasted warrior makes both useless.

I've always been a proponent of the idea that spells of a certain type should cause stat decrease, like chill touch, which has high chance of causing -1 strength, and can stack endlessly.

flame arrow - has a 10% chance to cause a -1 dex loss for two rounds at 50. stacks.
lightning bolt - has a 10% chance to cause hysteria or roar like effects. lasts one round. doesnt stack or get reset.
icicle - has a 10% chance to cause an effect that makes a person fall over when fleeing. effect lasts 2 rounds. think of it like hobble, but for invokers. they have always needed a way to run someone down anyway. doesn't stack or get reset.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject:

Mandor wrote:
fire shield. good idea.

ice shield. overpowered. turns people into sitting ducks, even if they use fire weapons to deal extra damage because of ice shield.

mana shield. name would have to be changed to mana dump or auto fail. an invoker needs fast nuking to kill (and survive), getting mana dumped by 8 attacks a round from a hasted warrior makes both useless.

I've always been a proponent of the idea that spells of a certain type should cause stat decrease, like chill touch, which has high chance of causing -1 strength, and can stack endlessly.

flame arrow - has a 10% chance to cause a -1 dex loss for two rounds at 50. stacks.
lightning bolt - has a 10% chance to cause hysteria or roar like effects. lasts one round. doesnt stack or get reset.

What's the point of a one round hysteria? Maybe you make your opponent not be able to cast one spell. But if it were made any longer, it would be way overpowered.
Quote:

icicle - has a 10% chance to cause an effect that makes a person fall over when fleeing. effect lasts 2 rounds. think of it like hobble, but for invokers. they have always needed a way to run someone down anyway. doesn't stack or get reset.

Definitely not. Are you serious? Invoker vs. anyone. their sanc drops, icicle to hellstream = toast. Giving an invoker a hobble-like skill is way overpowered.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject:

I'd think that would be the reward for playing an invoker so well. if one unsanc hellstream is enough to kill them outright, they're nearly dead already anyway. at this point, if theyre good at fleeing, they simply get away clean, since invokers don't have trip or bash or hobble.

I didnt say two hour duration, I said two round. it would trip up someone using flee/murder all the time, it would come in handy getting that last hit in, but at 1.5 round lag on hellstream, if they have more than 100-150 hp, even without sanc, they're going to get away.

Isn't the point of consumables and cast durations so that the person who plays best is rewarded by the other losing their defenses and enabling them to get the kill?

I've used invokers before.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject:

Fire shield is a nice idea.

ice shield would be more realistic to have an effect like ghoul touch where it slows those actions slightly but no more then that.

Mana shield, is a magic bubble to defend against magical things making it physical would be overpowered.

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject:

Just a comment for the fire/ice shield...I thought ice shield dampened fire attacks and increased ice/cold attacks and vice versa with fire shield...

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
if one unsanc hellstream is enough to kill them outright, they're nearly dead already anyway.

Eh, not necessarily. Unsanced hellstream can commonly hit for over 200hp, which in a close fight isn't 'nearly dead.' So yeah, hobble for invokers would be way overpowered.

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Read the end of Dav's first post...

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5523&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, like I said, these were some things we were discussing in chat, I posted it here in a separate topic for discussion on their own.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject:

Invokers need some serious work, the shields should just be the beginning. I mean right now it's just all about how good gear you have because every retard can cycle between hellstream, chain lightning and jet steam and these are the only offensive skills you ever need. I mean, think about it, being successful as an invoker in 1v1 situation just depends about what eq you have. (No i'm not talking about the 'personal skill' myth thingie)

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject:

Additional point. Barring vulns (and there is no wood element to hit storm giants), it is simply a case of dispel, hell, or dispel, fbal if pets are present, or dispel, chain lit, or if its a class without its own source of sanctuary, run run run, hell, run run run, hell, chase chase chase, hell. In all instances, replace hell with icicle or ice storm if you fight a Fgiant.

The point is, they compared to warriors pre weapon type and combat style changes and skill adds like concentration. Every physical class has been affected, and magic classes can be if they let weapon ward drop. Ills and necros got their hit/dam based spells, and some minor tweaks. shamans remain as diverse as ever. Even hybrids have some differences. Invoker is far behind the race to a diverse class that has pros/cons based on casting while run and gun, which makes it a class that repeats the same thing, like the usual lowbie fire giant murder, body body body. tasteless and no thought, apart from the tactics required to fight in basic combat, such as watching timing and letting the enemy's magic defenses lapse, not getting initiated on, fleeing well, using tricks of land and such. all that stuff is basic, and invoker as a class doesn't bring anything more, unlike every other class..

Maybe Invoker has become the newbie initiate class to casters.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: