Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 9 hours.

Clarification on Cancellation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krakknot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Clarification on Cancellation.

I'm just curriouse as to how this spell is usefull. Best I can figure is that it is similar to dispel magic, but it only gets rid of one spell. Is this right? If so, why is this usefull?

Also, while trolling the forums to look up my own answers, I came across something about being able to use the THROW skill to throw potions at opponents and they would recieve the effects of that potion, if it lands of course. Just curious if this is true.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I believe cancellation is used on yourself, where dispel magic is used on an opponent. No idea bout the throw potions. Would be funny to throw a recall at someone if they are beating you down, though I am guessing that the thrown potions are part of some old helpfiles or old, defunct, game mechanics.

0 0 0
Krakknot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject:

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1208&highlight=cancellation

It was an old post. 2005 I think. But It sounded interesting and didn't know if it was true.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Cancellation can be useful in many ways. It is a friendly dispel, so it doesnt come off as an attack. Say your ranking, and your tanks aura is about to in an hour, and you want to renew it. Cancel and recast, simple enough.

0 0 0
Krakknot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject:

That doesn't seem like such a useful thing. But I get it. Its useful if you are impatient. Anything else?

And from reading the help file, you cannot target a specific enhancement. So you might just lose your armor/shield/weapon ward/protective shield/etc... before you get the one you want.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Cancellation is like casting dispel magic on yourself. You can't pick which spell gets canceled and it could remove one spell or all of your spells. The most practical uses I can think of for this spell off the top of my head would be an illusionist canceling his slow before going into combat or canceling his haste before sleeping, or an invoker canceling his flame/ice shield because his enemy is using flaming/icy weapons. Sure, you run the risk of all of your spells dropping but if you've ever seen an invoker get hit with a flaming weapon while he has fire shield up it isn't a pretty sight.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Different classes can throw different things. I used to annoy the hell out of people with my thief throwing teleport potions. For thrown potions to work, they either get a save or a skill check is involved beyond physically throwing it. I once fled before killing a stunned opponent, took a shit, picked it up and threw it at him for the kill. And there was one time that I saved a dying group-mate by throwing a cure light potion at him while he was bleeding to death. Thieves can also throw the daggers they make with edge craft.

Ninjas get edge craft and make shurikens to throw. In both cases, the material used is important as the thrown item is considered a projectile for vulns.

Berserkers can throw their weapons and maybe shield? They can't switch weapons when raged but they can throw their weapon and wear a new one.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Cancellation has its uses, a very niche one could be elaborated further on cancelling sanctuary - say you're in a group that's killing high level mobs and clearing trash, your group is ready for the next pull but you don't want to wait for 2 or 3 ticks for aura to fade, you simply cancel it away and renew a 6 tick sanc so that it doesn't run out within 3 or 4 ticks during the encounter.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject:

Gets rid of negative spells someone casts on you? E.g. dysentry, plague, curse...

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject:

Nope negative spells cant be cancelled, they have to be healed, or wear off.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject:

invokers use it, also illusionist used to cancel slow, dont remember if they do any more.

0 0 0
Krakknot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject:

good stuff. I'll have to get going on a thief to try that potion hurling out.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: