Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 4 hours.

Spells not landing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zurcon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject:

Yea, I'm having a lot of fun with the Psi, I just know he's not going to win pks... which isn't a problem

Just to address Burzuk. His calculations are way off, especially for an illithid psionic.

I can't wield weapons, which means the weapons I've got I can only practice to 75%. I have to parry with my bare hands, which is pretty hard. Assuming it works 25% of the time is an astronomical guess.

My easy to exploit vuln also isn't considered.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Just to address Burzuk. His calculations are way off, especially for an illithid psionic.

That's rather hilarious, since my calculations were specifically for illithid psis and would be rather off if applied to other combinations.

Quote:
I can't wield weapons, which means the weapons I've got I can only practice to 75%.

Because of your great familiarity with the stock ROM code, I'm sure you're well aware that in stock code, each defense (such as parry) starts at 50% success (before hitroll, stats, size, etc are factored in), and that the difference between 100% and 75% weapon proficiency actually comes out to actually less than 5% difference, right?

Caveat: There have been substantial changes made between AR defenses and stock defenses, but this should give you a good ballpark figure to estimate how well they work on here.

Quote:
I have to parry with my bare hands, which is pretty hard.

No, for monks, illithids, and the upcoming treants, all of whom parry naturally with their hands, there is no penalty for parrying without a weapon. They parry as if they were wielding a weapon normally.

Now if you weren't an illithid, yes it'd be "rather hard" to parry with your bare hands.

Quote:
Assuming it works 25% of the time is an astronomical guess.

As I've said, it actually works considerably better than 25%.

Quote:
My easy to exploit vuln also isn't considered.

a) You explicitly said to disregard this when you said "(all spells are up, and they're not even using slashing weapons.)".
b) Vulns do not do 3x-5x additional damage, not even anywhere close to that.
c) The vuln is a racial vuln, not a class vuln--and if I recall, you were complaining about psi's, not illithids. But to be fair, if you want to count that, you also must count the enormous about of "extra" health that the illithid shock skill gives you when your normal hp runs out. Hint: slap a few trains into mana for an even larger boost to the hp you get from shock. At 20 mana/train right now, it's a pretty good bargain.

If you have any other "corrections" for my calculations, I'd like to hear them. As it stands right now though, your assertion that a fully prepared illithid psi of your level would only last 2-3 rounds in solo combat is, quite simply, wrong. If this happened to you, you either were not adequately prepared, or need to go back to the logs and count how many rounds the fight lasted exactly.

0 0 0
Phostan
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject:

Yeah, weapons that exploit racial vulnerabilities actually only do 150% damage of the weapons average damage, from what I've been told. I mean, that's cool if you're using a battlemasters on an illithid, or a dead black blade or a withering scythe or some other high average damage slash weapon. Consider though, illithids are immune or resistant to lightning or something or other like that. They're resistant to blunt as well. I can at the drop of the hat rape any illithid out there with a hell-blade and a rusted iron sword, or a holy avenger and a claymore. But, well, illithids actually get a boatload extra hp from converts as compared to other psionicist races. Consider a half-elf psi compared to an illithid psi. half-elves have one more constitution, but illithids pump out a shitload more hp in the longrun. The extra damage you do with a weapon they're vuln to probably only barely makes it harder on them as compared to them having no racial vulns and no huge gains from converts. And then if someone isnt using a slash weapon, because, let's say, they're a healer, then the hp converts makes them even better then average. So, let's say my figure of 150% is right, and you have a hell-blade and a marmalade orb. The orb is average 25, the blade average 18, but if 150% is right, it'd act as a average 27 damage weapon. So 2 average damage more. Which, is, well, not bad at all. And so forth and so on and blah blah blah.
Illithids pwn, and do okay as psi's. I'd like to see a spell that does damage, and at the same time send enemies reeling, maybe making them miss a round of attacks occassionally. Or a spell that makes them slow people by using telekenisis to hold them back. I think an area attack psionic blast that lets them target a specific group of individuals rather then everyone in the room would be good too. You're not sending out a wave of psionic attacks that hit everything, rather then multiple attacks at all of your enemies at the same time, because you can multitask that good. Oh, and it's easy to bitch about nothing to parry with even though you have a natural parry that cant be disarmed and that cool hand weaponry stuff. Oh, and that displace image shit or whatever that can make any attack or spell miss completely, yeah, that spell can toss my salad.

0 0 0
zurcon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject:

chance = get_skill (victim, gsn_parry) / 2;

if (number_percent () >= chance + victim->level - ch->level)
return FALSE;

You assumed I had 100% parry. I don't. With stock I start at 40% chance of parrying with this clause.

Apparently in this version, parry ability depends on your % in the weapon you're using, and the weapon your opponent is using. Because of this, I am at quite a bit of a disadvantage with parry. My % in hand to hand is about 80. My % in swords is 0. Based on my experience with CF, I think this is quite a bit of percentage out of my favor.

case (IS_VULNERABLE):
dam += dam / 2;
break;

According to stock, I take 150% damage from slashing weapons. This effectively reduces 400 hps to 267.

267 x 2 (sanc) x 1.25 (prot) x 1.5 (displacement) x 1.25 (parry) = 1251.56 hps

But in pk battle, I won't stay in combat with less than 150 hps, unless I've got a very good reason. This is not a considerable buffer, but it means that realistically I've got 400-150 = 250 hps to play with.

250 x 3.125 = 781.25 hps of unparried undisplaced hits a warrior has got to do against me. (which is the unit you worked in).

Now, at my level a lot of fighting classes have dual wield, second attack, and third attack.

(primary attack)
(second attack)
(third attack)
(dual attack)

chance = get_skill (ch, gsn_second_attack) / 2
chance = get_skill (ch, gsn_third_attack) / 4 (only when 2nd attack works?)

I can't find dual wield. is 50% adequate?

(primary) = 100%
(second) = 50%
(third) = .5 * .25 = 12.5%
(dual) = 50%

I was getting hit for about 70 damage per strike.

1(70) + .5(70) + .125(70) + .5(70) = 148.75 per round.

781/148 is about 5 rounds of action I've got against a warrior, unless he gets a double initiation round or something. Which is effectively 2 rounds for the price of 1.

In short, I exaggerated slightly. It's more like 4-5 rounds I've got against most people to do something.

Your estimate is too high, mine was too low, I think this is closer to the ballpark.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject:

Consider these design choices:

I) each mortals hp continues to rise as they rank
II) a mage's spell damage gets stronger, and they get their best spells as they rank
III) a warrior's damage output remains pretty much same as it was at rank 15, all the way to 50, being eq-based

This is the obvious consequences of these design choices:

I) ranking means it takes more damage to kill you
II) mages turn into killing machines as they mature (which begins getting noticeable by 35th rank, earlier in some cases), and obviously most sane people with mages are dying to rank them ASAP.
III) certain people multi red dragon to warriors all the time, and some are even willing to die multiple times at low rank to the red dragon, just to get it, and use it to kill low rank mages (who'll have their day later), instead of gradually becoming more and more mediocre as they level those mages toward a balanced level 50

Psionicists, sold as mages by their coder, defy their condition, namely II, and hence are nowhere near as susceptible to III as they should be. Your psi is "suffering" from having every good spell in its repertoire by the 26th rank, which seems to be causing you to think its worthless. If the skill progression wasn't so messed up you'd be continuing to rank and (possibly unwittingly yesterday, but hopefully not now) gaining hp while you try to get the spells.

You have made incorrect assumptions about the illithids innate parry ability - it is not a run of the mill "parry" skill. You assumed you had a stock (or close) parry. And you're on the wrong track when you're saying its the low-rank psionicists defences which need to be buffer, as long as II and III are still true on AR.

Consider this football analogy:

strikers - easily injured, but slippery
defenders - big brutes, not too bright, but there's several of them, making them a formidable defence
midfielders - support for the defenders & strikers (the team captain is usually one of these)

Your post, in saying that psis need better defences, is akin to saying strikers should be just as good at defending as defenders are. Its not realistic.

Have you considered making a shaman? This class seems like what you are looking for to me.

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure why everybody thinks that Psi's are incabale of pk'ing.

I was able to PK ok with mine, I once fought 2 warlords right after each other (as a specific challenge) and killed them both, ok so that was before purge was decreased for giants but I would still think you would be able to kill pretty well if you know what your doing.

My Psi killed warriors/serkers/healers/thieves/ninas/shamans/rangers (well one ranger) - only classes I really had problems with were Pally's, Necro's, Illusionists (who doesnt...) and Rangers.

Even then I was able to fight to stalemate most times.

0 0 0
Eldorian
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject:

zurcon wrote:
Here's my trouble. How am I supposed to last long enough to do anything when hitters have me almost dead in 2-3 rounds solo?

(all spells are up, and they're not even using slashing weapons.)

That's your original claim. All spells up, not using slashing weapons, and you're almost dead in 2-3 rounds.

zurcon wrote:
You assumed I had 100% parry. I don't. With stock I start at 40% chance of parrying with this clause.

Apparently in this version, parry ability depends on your % in the weapon you're using, and the weapon your opponent is using. Because of this, I am at quite a bit of a disadvantage with parry. My % in hand to hand is about 80. My % in swords is 0. Based on my experience with CF, I think this is quite a bit of percentage out of my favor.

Well in this case, since you know what would make you survive longer, you should know what to do about it. But the more egregious matter is that if now you say that you didn't maximize your defenses, then you can't say that the other guy had his stuff maximized either. Otherwise we reduce down to arguments such as "warriors suck because they die in 5 rounds if they don't practice their defenses" which don't illuminate much in the way of analysis. So we assume that both of you have maxed out your % as much as possible. Otherwise, you'd also have to assume stuff like, well, maybe the other guy only had 75% sword, maybe he had 62% second attack, etc. Since you assume that the attacker had max % (given by your calculation of the number of attacks a round), you should also be assuming that you maxed out your own %. You can't assume a weakly practiced victim and a strongly practiced opponent just to push your case -- that's scientifically devious, the equivalent of shooting treated wood through rusted metal to build the case that wood is stronger than metal.

Anyway so using your own values, what we should get is:

400 hp to start
800 hp because of *2 from sanc
1000 hp because of *1.25 from protection
1500 hp because of *1.5 from displacement
2250 hp because of *1.5 (roughly) from parry, once above is revised (note: actual multiplier is much higher, but of course, I'm not giving out specifics)

So that's 2250 effective hp that the other guy has to wear through. And this neglects any AC damage reduction you might have. Given 70 hp a hit, and 2.125 hits a round, that's some 15 rounds of combat needed.

But wait! There's more! It might be more instructive to compare this to what other mage classes have at the same level. They are, of course, the same as the above, except without the *1.5 multiplier (I'll be charitable and assume the mage is able to quaff a potion of sanc and therefore not knock that out). In which case, any other mage at that level gets about 1500 effective hp, rather than the roughly 2250 that psionicists get, so a regular mage lasts about 10 rounds of combat instead.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Almost forgot.

You....
* started a balance gripe thread with the goal of buffing your own class, or weakening other people's classes
* threw the RACIAL illithid slash vuln into a CLASS balance gripe
* completely botched the way illithids parry, which is too wrong to be ignored after introducing illithid into discussion
* refuse to use the characters last 150 hp, even though illithids have shock to return that much when they hit 0, allowing them to do exactly that
* posted a home-brew mathematical analysis with way off figures for everything involved besides sanc, due to it being from stock ROM

*wiggles a tentacle angrily*

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
a) not fully prepared defensively, whether with having spells up, loading up on +hp equipment, or what have you;
b) not at full health to begin with, or have a definition of "almost dead" that's quite different from being very close to 0 hp;
c) misrepresenting the facts to justify your own frustration at your lack of success with the class;
d) had the misfortune of being extremely unlucky (and we're talking about, statistically speaking, somewhere like 1 in 10000 odds of unlucky in order to skew the numbers so badly from what the averages would predict);
e) fighting against a character who was enhanced far beyond what is numerically possible for a mortal at your level;
f) outright lying to further some undisclosed purpose.

My personal opinion is a combination of a) and c).

With this in mind...

Quote:
chance = get_skill (victim, gsn_parry) / 2;

if (number_percent () >= chance + victim->level - ch->level)
return FALSE;

a) not fully prepared defensively, whether with having spells up, loading up on +hp equipment, or what have you;

Quote:
According to stock, I take 150% damage from slashing weapons. This effectively reduces 400 hps to 267.

"(all spells are up, and they're not even using slashing weapons.)"

Quote:
But in pk battle, I won't stay in combat with less than 150 hps, unless I've got a very good reason. This is not a considerable buffer, but it means that realistically I've got 400-150 = 250 hps to play with.

Here's my trouble. How am I supposed to last long enough to do anything when hitters have me almost dead in 2-3 rounds solo?

[...]

b) not at full health to begin with, or have a definition of "almost dead" that's quite different from being very close to 0 hp;

Fleeing at 37% health is vastly different from being reduced to "almost dead" within 2-3 rounds, so don't go changing what you've already claimed. It's also ridiculously conservative when you consider that illithids are sitting on a sizable pool of shock hp. If there's any race well-suited to playing with a 0-wimpy style, it's illithids.

c) The vuln is a racial vuln, not a class vuln--and if I recall, you were complaining about psi's, not illithids. But to be fair, if you want to count that, you also must count the enormous about of "extra" health that the illithid shock skill gives you when your normal hp runs out.

Quote:

267 x 2 (sanc) x 1.25 (prot) x 1.5 (displacement) x 1.25 (parry) = 1251.56 hps

250 x 3.125 = 781.25 hps of unparried undisplaced hits a warrior has got to do against me. (which is the unit you worked in).

[...]

In short, I exaggerated slightly. It's more like 4-5 rounds I've got against most people to do something.

Great, so I'm assuming you're retracting your original statement of:

Quote:

And replacing it with:

Quote:
Here's my trouble. How am I supposed to last long enough to do anything when hitters kick in my overly conservative 37% wimpy while hitting vulns for 4-5 rounds and I haven't practiced my defenses?

The latter version is based on the numbers you attempted to use. Is this what you're trying to say? It's hard for me to tell with your trying to change the premises constantly in order to skew the numbers to your disadvantage, and also to come up with numbers that have nothing to do with your original assertion.

0 0 0
Niktoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject:

I think I'm going to change my prompt to show percentages on my characters... the actual hitpoints number does throw me off quite a bit with my psi... I'm so used to 600-700 hps then I look at 400, it makes me think I'm losing more often then I already do.... when in reality, I'm probably just the same.. psi's can tank pretty darn well..

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject:

zurcon wrote:

The only way a warrior can solo someone in 2-3 rounds is if he's a warlord that's dual wielding slashing weapons against a completely unprotected illithid. And even then, illithid shock would give it another round.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject:

b00mslang wrote:
zurcon wrote:

The only way a warrior can solo someone in 2-3 rounds is if he's a warlord that's dual wielding slashing weapons against a completely unprotected illithid. And even then, illithid shock would give it another round.

The only way?? You don't think a fully decked non-Warlord warrior could do the same, dual-wielding slashing weapons (+ haste, + frenzy, + bard songs, etc.) against a completely unprotected illithid?

(Sorry, this was a completely useless post, but use of the phrase "the only way" should be carefully examined IMHO.)

0 0 0
dblthnk84

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject:

my gnome is lucky to last a full round of combat. Crying or Very sad

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: