Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 2 days, 10 hours.

Character creation process.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Character creation process.

I got a great roll, get to the end, and then boom! connection lost.

Is it at all possible to allow us to reconnect to that point where we lost connection? Since it says character is already in creation process if we try to log in with the new name.

I know I'd appreciate being able to log back to the point of character creation through the name and password, since the character is still considered made to the system.

Its just aggravating to lose 6 hours of roll time.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong:

I have always been under the impression that until you hit the final Y to continue at the end, the character is not saved into a pfile. I thought this was true of all DIKU-style muds.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Character creation process.

Mandor wrote:

Its just aggravating to lose 6 hours of roll time.

Why the hell are you rolling for six hours? Is that extra 10hp really going to make that much of a difference? gosh.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I would never roll for that long!

0 0 0
Insom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Based on the fact that no one really sticks around long enough to go awful versus awful. I'd say that extra 10 HP doesn't help one bit.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject:

replies:

Res - I dont know, it simply shows this "That name is already in the character creation process." This means that it exists in some form, as disconnecting and hours passing by doesn't cause it to be reset or dropped.

insom, egor, nadr - Every little bit counts. I know I have been at that point many times, where a few hp were the difference between losing or getting another round and chance to kill.

lets say you take a -6 roll. that is, after training at first rank, you have 6 stats left to fill. thats a diffference of 60 hp, which is nothing to sneer at. More power is more power any way you slice it. Besides, don't people get nervous when they see a few wounds instead of big nasty, when they are hurting badly? That numerical difference can keep you inside that range just enough to make the opponent worry, and then you've won.

anyway, I set it to take a -2 roll. a perfect roll would be 12 hours Im thinking. a -2 roll is where Id have 2 stat points to fill somewhere after fully training at one, and thats not a perfect roll. I finally got this -2 roll, and now my "Character" is stuck in creation process.

And still is as of now.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject:

Ok, so you are locked out of the character. It is stuck in the creation process and the only way that will cease is upon a reboot. Upon that reboot, the character will disappear and unless you had finished the process, and the name can be used again.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject:

and my idea was why not allow a person to pick up where they left off, seeing as how it takes hours to roll, which increases the risk to players that they get disconnected mid-creation.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject:

The creation process isnt like a log in. You are logged in, you are connected. You are creating, you are in a jumble of code circa 1995. I am no coder, so I dont know how accurate I am being. But it makes sense to me at least, lol.

I have rebooted, see what happens now.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject:

I've had this happen to me in the past. I could care less about losing a good roll, but it's a little annoying to have to choose between re-rolling with another name (my characters are usually built around a decided name ahead of time) or waiting for a reboot.

0 0 0
Mahkan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject:

tsk tsk, maybe you should be more careful next time, SIR!!!!!

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject:

Olyn, I am with you. I have a preset name that I insist on using. Some guys using these stat rollers have 3 guys rolling at the same time, with a name:

Snoir
Snior
Snoirt

Just so they get the same sort of sound with whatever pings the stat roller first!

But then again, my names are so shitty. If its a necro starting with 'R' its me, (Wysren was the only one that didnt fit, but then again, he was a chef, not a pkiller).

Favorite names (besides the original Resatimm) is Prastin or Wysren. All the rest suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Blonk? Come on. With my very early RP, tried to pretend the sound of the blackjack hitting a head made a 'Blonk' sound. That and pkilling until Dav threatened to deny me for breach of align/ethos (chaotic neutral, killing everything in sight). Kersh? Sound like a sneeze to anyone else?

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject:

maybe kersh better, but;

if you have a name prechosen
and you have spent 6 hours rolling
and it disconnects halfway through

yeah its a bit irritating. But its working again now.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject:

In my opinion the risk of losing your character is the chance you run with letting a script run afk to get that perfect or near perfect roll.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject:

Also learn to finish writing your script to hit 'y;n;evil;chaotic;n;darkhaven;down;save;quit'

0 0 0
Tiqa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject:

Resatimm wrote:
... Kersh? Sound like a sneeze to anyone else?

Kersh sounds like a fine, expensive, liquour to me that would be sipped out of a small crystal glass, or else a piece of white cheese with bits of peaches or oranges or dates in it.

I love that name. It sounds like a good aligned character that has a nice green/blue aura (not sure what I mean by that). Actually probably neutral. It would definetely not be Legion. Maybe a magic class, not sure. Could be anything. Anyway, nice name.

Bonk is a great name. Definately a thief!

And yah, that would be extremely frustrating to loose a character in the middle of creation.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject:

Usually when you're creating, if you close the client, it will just delete the character. So it seems like the original coders wanted to keep the character once it had been rolled. But its also obvious they decided to just block the reconnect (instead of asking for password) and I would guess that's because it caused issues that they didn't want to resolve. Having seen the code there, I can't say I feel enthusiastic about wading in. Its a real effort. I'd say its best to just leave it as getting max rolls take the effort, if your roller sucks then that's your fault, fix it. If you came back to find you dc'd right after you got the max roll, well then that's the same as dc'ing at any point in creation, and just make sure your roller can navigate creation successfully and handles disconnects, and you'll never come back to that again.

Last edited by Davairus on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject:

Vevier wrote:
In my opinion the risk of losing your character is the chance you run with letting a script run afk to get that perfect or near perfect roll.

Superfluous. I was watching it when it disconnected. It has nothing to do with AFK.

_Clifton_ wrote:
Also learn to finish writing your script to hit 'y;n;evil;chaotic;n;darkhaven;down;save;quit'

I'm glad you're aware of how to form a character creation script.

Davairus wrote:
Usually when you're creating, if you close the client, it will just delete the character. So it seems like the original coders wanted to keep the character once it had been rolled. But its also obvious they decided to just block the reconnect (instead of asking for password) and I would guess that's because it caused issues that they didn't want to resolve. Having seen the code there, I can't say I feel enthusiastic about wading in. Its a real effort. I'd say its best to just leave it as max rolls are the effort, if your roller sucks then that's your fault, fix it. Rollers are easy to write.

again, not the issue. a disconnect in the middle of rolling has nothing to do with a roller that sucks. I never said I rolled it to max and then left it idle and it disconnected. It disconnected right after a -2 success and before it could auto align and town and quit.

Last edited by Mandor on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject:

That's the first time anybody's ever responded to a post I was writing before I'd gotten done editing it til I felt happy with what I wrote.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm glad you're aware of how to form a character creation script.

and if you could, this whole waste of webspace wouldn't even exist.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: