Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 19 hours.

Barkskin for Rangers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arishel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Barkskin for Rangers

Even with Treant thews, I am assuming from the log on invokation, that it tames the fire vulnerability. Here's something that may be an alternative to such problems.

This is why I was thinking that the barkskins should have a shorter affect time, but a vulnerability to them. E.g. Ginko protects against fire, make it weak to ice. Pine protects against ice? Make it weak to fire, etc. Almost like an invokers fire/ice shield.

If that option doesn't float your boat (crazyhorse) Lmao. Then I propose making ginko bark just reduce the damage a bit more, but not as significantly. A moderate reduction, persay.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I think it shouldnt be vulnerable to the opposite, but it shouldnt turn decimates in to grazes. Thats just crazy.

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps you're right, but what would you say to the barkskin only lasting as long as 2 hours, or compared to a weapon ward? Then the barkskin could be changed to get the jump on the vulnerability, but be balanced enough to be vulnerable. Plus this would help with killing the higher level mobs with those weapons, making it a bit more strategic than just having a 24 hour barkskin reduction.

Or instead of it lasting 2-4 hours, give rangers a revert skill that allows them to cancel the barkskin but has a two round lag from doing so.

(The vulnerability would still apply here to both of these instances)

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I like that mostly.

I would say the straight AC barkskin should remain at the 40 hour length or whatever, since it really doesnt do much, but the specific elemental damage reduction skin should last like... i would say as long as aura. At 50 have it be like a 7-9 hour affect. having it last for 2-3 hours would make it pretty much worthless. Gnome ward lasts for a long time, and giant ward lasts for a very brief period, but that works out since you can muscle your way through most of the skills that weapon ward protects against as a giant.

In any case, based on the log on invokation, the specific skins are pretty overpowered. I had never seen one really used until that log though, so it isnt used very often...

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject:

It was an unintentional oversight making the resistance of barkskin stack with all other resistances.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject:

If you lose a fight to barkskin, that's a problem with your skill, period. (Yes I've seen the invokation log, but if you notice he won that fight despite the ranger's barkskin) I understand the concern with TT (the only reason barkskin is even being talked about) but beyond that you're just reaching.

So does that mean fire resist was stacking with unseen magic resistance Dav? I would agree that is too much, but just because rangers have a tool against an element damage doesn't mean it should go completely disregarded for the sake of a set. It should still resist, but not with the same effect of not having a vuln (in otherwords, have the resis and vuln cancel each other out). Yes that's advantageous to rangers over most using the set, but why else would rangers even have the barkskin type capability? It's an advantage (and was meant to be).

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Can anyone offer an unbiased opinion? I swear. Amdorin you sound exactly like bassball. I know you like rangers... Do you remember how when Res said not long ago about when the Imms were discussing taking down Necro's a few notches... He didnt offer his opinion because his opinion was completely biased, because he loves necros and liked pwning with them.

Jesus christ people, I know you like your classes but if you all stop being whiny bitches about your class being nerfed and actually FOCUSED ON BALANCE, then ALL classes would be fun to play. All classes would be sweet, and the entire game would be based on skill.

His fiery attacks went from decimates to grazes. How in the FUCK is that balanced? It was an unintentional stacking, so obviously its not going to be completely taken away. Just unstacked.

It was obviously over powered, and if you cant offer an unbiased opinion and/or cant stay focused on the hope for a game that is fantastically balanced, you can just stfu.

And no, I havnt fought a ranger recently, and I have argued for nerfs on the only class I am playing currently several times just recently.

Biased opinions are stupid and unhelpful.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Vulns are intended to take precedence over resistances. The barkskin spell is a napkin-math styled pseudo-resistance, but that's only to assert that it should scale with level. The vuln should go through.

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject:

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. On to the next thing. Smile

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject:

crazyhorse wrote:
Can anyone offer an unbiased opinion? I swear. Amdorin you sound exactly like bassball. I know you like rangers... Do you remember how when Res said not long ago about when the Imms were discussing taking down Necro's a few notches... He didnt offer his opinion because his opinion was completely biased, because he loves necros and liked pwning with them.

Jesus christ people, I know you like your classes but if you all stop being whiny bitches about your class being nerfed and actually FOCUSED ON BALANCE, then ALL classes would be fun to play. All classes would be sweet, and the entire game would be based on skill.

His fiery attacks went from decimates to grazes. How in the FUCK is that balanced? It was an unintentional stacking, so obviously its not going to be completely taken away. Just unstacked.

It was obviously over powered, and if you cant offer an unbiased opinion and/or cant stay focused on the hope for a game that is fantastically balanced, you can just stfu.

And no, I havnt fought a ranger recently, and I have argued for nerfs on the only class I am playing currently several times just recently.

Biased opinions are stupid and unhelpful.

If you'd look past your want to complain you'd see I clearly said "fire resist was stacking with unseen magic resistance Dav? I would agree that is too much", but you're too busy assured that because I like rangers I'm defending them from the change. I really don't feel all that affected by the change because of how I play. I even suggested the barkskin issue lose it's magic resistance stack (across the board as it seems this is how it should be anyway) and just have it's resistance (as it should be, and without any mention of using TT) and that WITH TT, ginko should reduce the enhanced fire damage to normal damage instead of resisted damage to grazes (because ginko is a elemental utility but IS out of balance).

When did I say, I hate this change it sucks, I want my rangers safe, blah? I didn't. I agree with the change and posted a solution that would remove the decimates to grazes issue, but at the same time not negate a skill completely because people are crying about a very slim percentage of the playerbase (neutral rangers using TT, Keeper or not). If you need fire to beat a TT'd ranger (<or anything>) you deserve to lose (my case in point of that log, in which he switched up and won anyway).

Read the post if you're going to judge it. TT leaves you with a hideous hitroll and a decent damage. It's TT + atonement that's hurting people, not TT itself (which is why I see an utter barkskin nuke a little out of proportion [for the non Keepers]). I really do have balance at heart when thinking about this.

Why do you think Arvar is 10-0? Because of TT? No! It's because he can outperform many and when in danger yield duels. Why do you think Trogm is doing so well? Because he's a better player than you. It's that simple. *sigh* I believe in the change to get these caballed users to move on to better gear.. but guess what? It's better gear! What you're really going to complain about is when Keepers are in new gear with their atonement (and no vuln). Then what are you going to say?

*walks away from thread*

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Neutral characters do well because they are neutral. No protection against them. Instant access to a nice set of items. And if they don't want to fight, they really don't have to. Neutral is neutral, thats the reason why they aren't allowed to be super aggressive for the most part.

Now obviously cabals kind of nil some of this, but who is going to FORCE Arvar to fight alone? No one. He has a guard for that shit.

Who is going to FORCE Trogm to fight alone? Only a danger, but lets be realistic here. A ton of the player base is upset about Thews and the use of it on Neutral warrior arch types.

Ofcourse it's obvious that everyone is dumb and cannot take the beating they deserve, right? Its obvious that everyone else blows dogs for quarters EXCEPT the neutral warriors with Thews. Right?

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Amdorin wrote:
If you lose a fight to barkskin, that's a problem with your skill, period.

This comment is making barkskin sound less uber than it was, thus you were skewing perspective to make your argument sound better.

Volk (until recently), was in ubered gear. If I died to volk, I didnt cry that he had ubered gear and died. No, the mother fucker EARNED IT.

I am all about caballs being ubered. I am not all about handouts. TT was a handout, until recently. Im not sure if it isnt still... I havnt messed with it much yet.

I want to see keepers who earn it be uber. Not keepers who can instantly replace their suit and not worry about anything, and thus take whatever risks they want because there are basically zero negatives.

And I love the fact that you point out a justice and trogm. You make me laugh Amdo.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject:

crazyhorse wrote:

And I love the fact that you point out a justice and trogm. You make me laugh Amdo.

You make me want to kill myself Crazyhorse.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject:

Embarassed

Or something.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You make me want to kill myself Crazyhorse.

don't tease us. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I do have to agree that barkskin, as is right now, is a bit too powerful. Dav, you should just take a look at the code just to make sure something isn't fubar in there. I've been doing a lot of fighting a dkn with a ranger and I've noticed that ginko barkskin transforms fireballs from MANGLES through sanc to hits. That's not right.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject:

Isn't that the whole point..? Switch to iceball. Then they are throwing away the free AC from the general purpose one for no benefit.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject:

maybe div was using TT which is supposed to have fire vuln, and getting hits through sanc means the vuln isn't working.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject:

Mandor wrote:
maybe div was using TT which is supposed to have fire vuln, and getting hits through sanc means the vuln isn't working.

No, I wasn't. But still, that's like an 80% reduction in damage. Just doesn't seem right.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject:

well then it might be the bark in addition to a very low damage dealt by RNG, since fireball has such a wide damage range. I've seen oblits and mauls on the same target, so its not out of the question.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: