Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 19 hours.

High Dex Berserker
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: High Dex Berserker

So, I was thinking about Berserkers and how on the log at invokation there was the Knight dwarf berserker and everyone is like: "Don't dirt kick ever..." and I ran through a list of the possible berserker races in my mind and realized they're all low dex races. As a vehement proponent of the halfling warrior, I thought I would suggest adding some high-dex berserkers (specifically halfling, but that's cause I'm biased).

I think adding a high-dex berserker option would provide novelty value to the game for a short honeymoon period and would create some very interesting race/class combos.

0 0 0
Craginoth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Duergar berserker or Human berserker are the highest dexterity. Having something higher than that, I don't see it as being necessary to roleplay. You're not going to see a halfling berserker I don't think. Don't hold your breath.

Attention Moderators: Could you please check the approval list, MY account information was changed and it has to be approved again before I can log in. Using my brothers account right now. Sorry for the inconvenience and posting it here. I thought this may be more accessible to notice this. Thanks.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Don't raged berserkers lose dodge? And dirt kick too? And other than that they really don't have much in the way of dex-based skills. So a drow or halfling berserker would be a bad choice in terms of how well they play.

And I have to agree.. RP-wise it doesn't fit that well. Berserkers rely on pure, physical force in combat and completely disregard the combat finesse favored by other classes. All the high-dex races are really races that traditionally rely on finesse and skill rather than strength.

And the 20-dex of a human berserker is really plenty if you just want to be landing dirt kicks and such. If you want a high-dex berserker, make it a human. Though I'd say there's a reason you never see them.

0 0 0
Eloret
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject:

My first thought without a whole lot of time put into it but I think that a low dex or "good dirt kicking" berserker would be an interesting mix to try out for a little but I have played a number of them in the last couple of years since my return to AR and I have not used the skill almost at all.

Assume for a moment you hit a rouge with dirt kick as a zerker...They rub it out quickly. You are better to use hobble and make them stuck to sitting in battle waiting for it to recover.

Now assume you hit a Warrior or Berserker with it. Warrior has blind fighting and it will minimally affect him due to the fact that you cannot disarm or shield disarm. I mean all it does is stop them from switching combat style and weapons for a very limited period of time. Berserker you may force a rage but more likely will just ride it out and assess the situation after the dirt is gone and can flee.

Mages well I think I don't need to comment because if they let ward fall, you have other options to keep them in battle if needed as majority of the races that can play berserker now.

All in all I think it may not be as big of a deal to make a high dex berserker race as some may think.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Can we get high str invokers while we're at it

high dex means more than just a succesful dirt kick

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject:

From our website on berserkers: It became a fighting style of its own. Sacrificing finesse and complexity to focus on brute strength and reckless abandon, the guildhall of berserkers was formed.

From wikipedia: Berserkers (or Berserks) were Norse warriors who are reported in the Old Norse literature to have fought in a nearly uncontrollable, trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the English word berserk. Berserkers are attested in numerous Old Norse sources.

It doesn't mention there that all berserkers were strong or that all berserkers have to be strong, it just says that they focused on strength and fought crazily. I don't know about you, but I think anyone could choose to focus on strength and fight with reckless abandoned. In real life, even if you're 5'5'' you can still go to the gym every day and focus on what strength you have.

With high-dex berserkers I think you would get an interesting balance of the finesse and brute force approaches. Especially for high-dex zrkr vs. warr, I'd be willing to bet the fights would be pretty interesting.

Erlwith, are you thinking that high-dex berserkers would be overpowered? If so, what do you think makes that true, because from looking at the skills and such, it looks pretty strength dependent for most of them. I'm sure playing a high-dex berserker would be more challenging than playing a minotaur, but part of the fun of this game is choosing a challenging race/class combo and seeing how far you can get with it.

0 0 0
Eloret
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject:

That last paragraph is exactly the reason I was saying I thought it might be interesting but I would just play a Human Berserker if I wanted to try to be challenged in comparison to playing a character like Corzen (Minot Zerk).

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: High Dex Berserker

Ergorion wrote:
So, I was thinking about Berserkers and how on the log at invokation there was the Knight dwarf berserker and everyone is like: "Don't dirt kick ever..." and I ran through a list of the possible berserker races in my mind and realized they're all low dex races. As a vehement proponent of the halfling warrior, I thought I would suggest adding some high-dex berserkers (specifically halfling, but that's cause I'm biased).

I think adding a high-dex berserker option would provide novelty value to the game for a short honeymoon period and would create some very interesting race/class combos.

actually, what they mean is vs. rogue classes.

you should dirt kick when its convenient, such as against a class with no blind fighting and no protective shield, or when you see or think protective shield has dropped on a mage.

dirt kick performs many functions, lowering hitroll and parry, gives a chance to cause people to fall over from fleeing, and makes them unable to see your weapon or style type. also, if they do flee it lasts longer, giving you even more time to do things you might want to do.

Rogues have the longest lasting dirt kick, and the shortest duration when its used against them. a high dex rogue should dirt kick a low dex rogue, but it will be a lot more situational when to use dirt for the low dex rogue against a high dex rogue.

There's a reason the dirt -> disarm spam was so common back before combat modules and weapon types.

0 0 0
Kren

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Bodyslam is effected by dex according to the helpfile.
And your berserk would give you mostly hitroll so you would hit alot more
Ultimately, hobble and/or bash would do you in versus a warrior or other berserker as high dex races lack strength and size
Being dirted as a low dex berserker is not fun so being able to rub it out quicker would be a perk.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Ergorion wrote:
From our website on berserkers: It became a fighting style of its own. Sacrificing finesse and complexity to focus on brute strength and reckless abandon, the guildhall of berserkers was formed.

From wikipedia: Berserkers (or Berserks) were Norse warriors who are reported in the Old Norse literature to have fought in a nearly uncontrollable, trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the English word berserk. Berserkers are attested in numerous Old Norse sources.

It doesn't mention there that all berserkers were strong or that all berserkers have to be strong, it just says that they focused on strength and fought crazily. I don't know about you, but I think anyone could choose to focus on strength and fight with reckless abandoned. In real life, even if you're 5'5'' you can still go to the gym every day and focus on what strength you have.

With high-dex berserkers I think you would get an interesting balance of the finesse and brute force approaches. Especially for high-dex zrkr vs. warr, I'd be willing to bet the fights would be pretty interesting.

Erlwith, are you thinking that high-dex berserkers would be overpowered? If so, what do you think makes that true, because from looking at the skills and such, it looks pretty strength dependent for most of them. I'm sure playing a high-dex berserker would be more challenging than playing a minotaur, but part of the fun of this game is choosing a challenging race/class combo and seeing how far you can get with it.

There's more to dexterity than dodge as well. If you want to consider philosophical aspects as to why you think there should be high dex berserkers, consider the full definition of dexterity (m-w.com):

1 : mental skill or quickness : adroitness
2 : readiness and grace in physical activity; especially : skill and ease in using the hands <manual dexterity>

"Sacrificing finesse and complexity..."

This alone pretty much excludes high dex characters from entering this class. If an elf sacrifices dexterity (according to its definition), what does he have left? (especially in the berserker class mechanics of AR) Pretty much nothing.

The class would benefit the high dex race's (which imply low strength) max health, but it still wouldn't be significant pertaining to the class skill set. You don't want to rage with 18 strength and a disabled (would-be above average) dodge.

Also, high dex races also tend to imply small size races, this renders the bash/rampage aspect of berserkers into the ground as well.

This idea is more of a "would be cool" thing but I don't think it has much substance past that.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject:

I am not about to respond to this complete waste of forum space but here's a bunny rabbit:

Code:

\`\ /`/
        \ V /               
        /. .\       
       =\ T /=                 
        / ^ \     
     {}/\\ //\
     __\ " " /__           
    (____/^\____)

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
I am not about to respond to this complete waste of forum space but here's a bunny rabbit:

Code:

\`\ /`/
        \ V /               
        /. .\       
       =\ T /=                 
        / ^ \     
     {}/\\ //\
     __\ " " /__           
    (____/^\____)

Since when is legitimate discussion a waste of space?

There really hasn't been any flaming, Erlwith had his one tongue in cheek comment but it was not out of bounds and didn't start a shit flinging competition. Your comment is the first comment that has nothing to do with the thread.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject:

You sir are a waste of space.

0 0 0
casden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject:

yeah high dex berserkers just don't make any sense. Keep the idea's coming though, you never know when your idea will spin off into something better.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:

Is there any reason for the ad hominem attack, sir? I do not think I have slept with your mother recently.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject:

You got to admit, that is a pretty cool bunny rabbit.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject:

casden wrote:
yeah high dex berserkers just don't make any sense. Keep the idea's coming though, you never know when your idea will spin off into something better.

a class that focuses on pure agility for fighting, like the opposite of a berserker, which relies on brute strength. it gets bonuses to overcome defense skills, and a mode like "rage" but "fast" or something, that causes you to increase in speed making you too fast to parry, and harder for dumb races to hit, because more intelligent races will preemptively move their sharp stick to the spot you'll likely be. it requires a backoff skill like relax, in order to be able to flee. should use lighter weapons like whips and swords and spears.

0 0 0
Hrimoyan
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject:

No, think further than a counter/"other side of the coin"-class. It's too narrow minded.

"a class that focuses on pure agility for fighting"

And if anything you're talking about rogues and at extreme case you're talking about monks (which are gone). A dex based berserker class? No.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject:

eh, no reason there can't be a warrior type that relies on agility.

rogue classes are about stealth and surprise attacks. warriors are straight up fighters with high hp. you're right, it is a little like monks, so I guess thats my vote for a new warrior class that takes after the monk class.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: