Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 10 hours.

RP enforcement.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: RP enforcement.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit. Its really been bugging me. What the heck is up with all these evils, who are acting like lightwalkers, ect, or getting engaged/marrying lightwalkers. And vice versa, Good aligned people getting engaged with, or married to evils.

I think that if you create an evil character you should ACT evil, ect, same thing for if you create a lightwalker, ACT like one. Dont go engage and get married to some evil necromancer ect. I have given some thought about a possible alignment point system kind of similar to what is in the fable games, IE you do good stuff your alignment goes up, you do bad stuff your alignment goes down, but I don't know how well that would work for ar or if it would even be possible. What does everyone else think about all this?

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject:

wtb less cliche lightwalker rp, kthx. no i did not read the post.

0 0 0
Tepesh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Yeah the whole I'm a paladin my mission is to slay evils oh look a necromancer lets get married and have kids that I will sell to Olyn crap. The whole alignment point system is a nifty idea after all in the helpfiles it says those that fail to RP will be outcasted (shamans/healers/paladins/dark knights)

Mabye we could make those that marry goods/evils get outcasted cause say im a lightwalker and i see a fellow lightwalker marry an evil my actions towards them would be different like a disgrace to the light.
As for the evil side my actions towards them would to kill them cause they are rejecting the darkness and turning to the light.

0 0 0
Dorimos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject:

You guys are looking at this from the wrong stand point.. You have to look at this from a stand point of love just like in Rl for example interracial couples are shunned and often oppressed same as same sex couples. A Paladin is supposed to be the eptiome of Holiness. And if a Paladin is married in the eyes of the Gods is that not a holy bond? And isn't everyone tired of two sided things? Im good lets kill evil, im evil lets kill good. That gets boring after so long. I think its pretty cool, considering the IMM's even think its cool enough to join into.

So get off the high horses guys if you don't like the RP and mind you they are staying within RP if they are pacifist characters. I give all of the ones playing this RP style kudo's for at least thinking something up original to at least try out. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

0 1
boo,
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject:

It would be different if there was more basis to start with I would think, but to compare racial marriages is far off. Its not the same, If your going to make a passive character, dont roll an evil. Roll a neutral or a good, or have REALLY good rp reason for WHY your that way.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject:

Maybe there is more to this RP then meets the eye. Maybe the necro is setting up the paladin to killing him and sacrifice his carcass and sacrifice him to the gods. But with the paladins last breath he swears a curse on the lands of thera and the holy gods and turns into a walking undead with a thirst for death and destruction. I always wanted to rp a paladin turn vampire. But the confines of the game don't allow such things. Maybe this is a window into more character evolution....

0 0 0
Dorimos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject:

btw where did the "sell to Olyn" thing come from. Last I heard they were forced to give them to Olyn on their 18th birthday to save them from being destroyed. And that Kaleb and Avaeo are both cursed to drink their children's blood every year on their birthday to keep them alive
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

0 0 0
Dorimos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject:

if you are going to make a passive character don't roll evil, what kind of statement is that? Most of the best Heralds were evil. Torkalen, Jyra, etc... All evil and to be a Herald you have to be passive and non aggressive. so I believe your basis is a bit off...

0 0 0
Tepesh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject:

The imms dont think its cool enough to join in Olyn and Valicia (sorry if i mispelled it) were together before Olyn's rise to immortal dark lord. Kaleb is far from a pacifist character so him marrying an evil really dont fit in and Avaeo is a newb so i can understand her point.

Let me ask you Dorimos why in the hell would a HOLY god agree and not shun his warrior for taking a major step towards the dark path with his union to a shadowspawn?

In order for them to have kids they have to give them to Olyn in rp terms they could of said no blah blah but they didnt and instead "sold" them to Olyn.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject:

So i played my friends healer a bit, like a day ago, killed the said necromancer and got tell from a paladin "omg you killed my wife?" as well as getting attacked by 6 ranks higher NEUTRAL MYSTIC invoker due it. Sup with this shit?

0 0 0
starrynightmarex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Nadrin and Tepesh on this one. Morally a 'lightwalker' may decide not to like death or battle, they may even decide that they want to look at everyone as having the ability to be innately good. If this is not how evil characters are 'supposed' to or even 'allowed' to be played then there needs to be something to sort out the RP.

If you roll and evil character and you decide that you are going to be good, not kill, and marry a lightwalker than you should be outcasted (as would happen if a lightwalker went mad and started killing everything in sight) and there should be penalties unless there is some really well established background and RP which might allow you to do this. Right now Lightwalkers are being penalized socially in the game because they happen to be forgiving and want to believe that someone can change, which, by way of the knights oath supposedly they should be able to and aren't considered a threat anymore.

Evils lose 'evilness' if they decide to play all these 'good' characters and because it there is discrepancies. A lighty can't be faulted for accepting the good in someone as that's probably a normal thing that should be done.

In the case of Olyn and Valicia, Tepesh is right. Olyn didn't decide he was going to jump on the goodie goodie band wangon and marry Valicia. They were already a pretty clear couple before his rise to darkness and his reasons to why he did it are pretty unclear to everyone, maybe they know something we don't? The only thing Valicia did was stand by someone she already loved meaning - there is a very well established background and RP story allowing them to continue on even though Olyn was raised. So don't use the gods as an example to roll an evil character and decide to be good because you 'fell in love', if you were playing your EVIL character right in the first place then you wouldn't have had time to fall in love over the slaughtering.

Basically, If you roll and evil - play one. Don't fault the lighties for being accepting and forgiving , that's their RP which is acceptable to their allignment.

1 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:

thats right everyone, because everything has to be clear cut and fit into the stereotypical molds we make for them.

0 0 0
Dorimos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject:

imma have to agre with deadzero. man for fuck sake break the mold. If ya don't like the play deal with it. I think its cool personally. Finally someone had the balls to shake things up and everyone is pissed Haha. at least people are playing the game and it isn't as boring anymore. And the amount of people going along with the RP is phenomenal. Once again Kudos to them

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Seriously. If you people put as much work into your own RP as you do into telling other people how they should RP you might not suck as much. I mean as of 6 months ago I could call Nadrin's characters every time by just exchanging a couple of tells with them (ask Groq).

I got attacked by a neutral ranger a bit ago for my spot in a group. Terrible RP, sure, but people generally suck at AR so what else is new.

0 0 0
rabidgecko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Align RP has gone to shit anyway. When was the last time someone ACTUALLY RP'ed a chaotic? Saerina is the only one I know of, and that's not RP, that's annoying douchebag tomfoolery. Stop calling out others' faults unless you have none... Until you're an imm or you can roleplay like vanisse or firstfantasy, quit bitchin

/flame

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Please see my poll thread http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6278 about this topic. Dav and Olyn has already stated that what those two healers are doing is going to get them outcasted. There's really no room for discussion here. A healer by nature should not be assisting/casting spells on an evil.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject:

By the way I would appreciate if you are looking for more freedom in choices to choose the EVIL alignment.. thats the idea.. there's less policing in return for in-game disadvantages.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject:

People are pissed about it because shit like this has been done before and they've gotten smacked in the face for doing it.

A paladin is there to FIGHT evil. Not go to bed with it.

Saerina's RP is great, I think. Sure, it's annoying as hell, but consider that she's a THIEF and ROLEPLAYING A CHAOTIC. I don't see many others doing that. She's doing it right. Just because she's stealing your shit, don't say it's not proper RP.

I personally see no reason for them not to be outcasted. Let Avaeo learn the hard way like we all did. Kaleb, if he's not a newb, should know better and not have screwed with a newbs character like he did/is. The very definition of a paladin is the opposite of this. And Kaleb's not pacifistic AT ALL. It makes no sense.

1 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject:

Dorimos wrote:
if you are going to make a passive character don't roll evil, what kind of statement is that? Most of the best Heralds were evil. Torkalen, Jyra, etc... All evil and to be a Herald you have to be passive and non aggressive. so I believe your basis is a bit off...

Before I put my 2c in...Jyra was a true neutral...

My 2c:

It is in the light walker realm to try to see the good in everyone, and thus rapport with evils, trying to turn them to the light. Not all battles need be fought with 'murders' and 'dirts'.

On the other hand, just because you are evil doesn't mean you have to be mean. Maybe you're only evil because you're too dumb to realize what is kind and what is mean, or maybe you're actually a good person who is occasionally taken over by a desire to kill people. There are lots of ways to play evil and lots of reasons to talk to a light walker. Maybe you're genuinely interested in what they have to say, maybe you're leading them on to kill them later. Whatever the original reason, its totally believable that love can develop regardless.

If you don't believe me, read Tigana, they have a plot line following that train of thought and it is very well done.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject:

Dispater wrote:
So i played my friends healer a bit, like a day ago, <did some crap, bleh>. Sup with this shit?

Sup with you multiplaying? Just wanting to get your friend's healer denied and get yourself banned (again)? Dumbass.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: